Wanting .458 win mag chronograph results of factory

so do i, but it was only a chrony.
it fell more slowly than expected.
bruce.

@BenKK
Was the Federal round loaded with a 500 grain Woodleigh Hydrostatic monolithic solid bullet or a 500 grain bronze jacketed Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer Solid bullet ? And how old are the Federal rounds ?

No, not Hydros. Not sure what they are, I’ll see if it’s written on the box. I bought both boxes at the same time a few years ago, not sure how long they were sitting at the shop.

@BenKK
Was the Federal round loaded with a 500 grain Woodleigh Hydrostatic monolithic solid bullet or a 500 grain bronze jacketed Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer Solid bullet ? And how old are the Federal rounds ?

They’re Trophy Bonded Bear Claw softs, 500 grains.

Restores your faith in suppliers and humanity ! 458 Win mag rounds doing what it says on the box.

Restores your faith in suppliers and humanity ! 458 Win mag rounds doing what it says on the box.
Not for factory rounds, but I just chronographed my whitworth yesterday with 72 grains of Win 748. 500 grain hornady solid, 24" barrel was giving me 2,125 fps at the muzzle. No pressure signs at all. This was a magnetospeed chronograph. Temp here was 91°F and the rounds had been sitting in my car for a bit. So... some real chronograph data for this thread.

I measured the velocity with a Lab Radar of Nosler Safari ammo in .458 Win with 500 gr solid (brass, I believe) bullets.

Results were:
Average velocity: 2139 FPS
Extreme spread: 13 FPS

Shot with 25" barrels, Heym 88B

Just to keep this thread going.
Yesterday’s results of shooting the 458wm in mid October heat here in Zambia.
500gr peregrine vrg1 brass solids at 2,130fps.
Shooting out of a cogswell and Harrison with a 24” barrel.
Petty happy with the results.

Just to keep this thread going.
Yesterday’s results of shooting the 458wm in mid October heat here in Zambia.
500gr peregrine vrg1 brass solids at 2,130fps.
Shooting out of a cogswell and Harrison with a 24” barrel.
Petty happy with the results.
Are you loading those peregrines with a long OAL ? I am doing that with the copper peregrines when I load win mag ammo. They have those driving bands so you can crimp the bullet well out. My cz is reamed to a lott and I am getting 2190 fps with copper 515 gr vrg1. I also have 450 @ 2250 fps and 480 gr in win mag clothing doing 2150-2190 fps.

Are you loading those peregrines with a long OAL ? I am doing that with the copper peregrines when I load win mag ammo. They have those driving bands so you can crimp the bullet well out. My cz is reamed to a lott and I am getting 2190 fps with copper 515 gr vrg1. I also have 450 @ 2250 fps and 480 gr in win mag clothing doing 2150-2190 fps.
Not really seating out long, OAL at 85.0mm

Winchester cases were a big improvement on pressure issues experiences with other brands.
We had the 480's at 2,200 and with no pressure issue either, only drawback is that Peregrine are not making the 480's in both solid and expanding anymore.
I'm happy with it and will settle on this load as more than adequate for our hunting purposes.
Will be buying some copper expanding and more of the brass solids to finish up development and stock up on loaded ammo.

These are winchester cases from the old 510gr softs factory ammo. I stand to be correct, but i think we saw 2,050fps with that factory ammo. I could be mistaken though, it was a while ago.

I didn't know Peregrine were stopping the 480 gr. But I guess they probably are reacting to the market. 450 gr will flatten trajectory and sectional density is comparable to 375 solid and the 500 gr are there for the heavy brigade (like myself). 480 gr is kind of stuck in no mans land. I managed a 515 gr at 2345 fps with a Lott case, no pressure signs in Harare at about 23 deg. But it was a bit of an event touching that round off and it will be over pressure at 40 deg in the zambezi valley. So I am pretty settled with 515 gr at around 2200 fps out of the Lott. I had some 480's and was pretty happy with those in win mag brass but I am also happy with the 450's. I actually reamed to a Lott because the CZ has the space and the gunsmith did it for free while doing some other work. I am glad that many people seem to have workable loads for the win mag.

I managed a 515 gr at 2345 fps with a Lott case, no pressure signs in Harare at about 23 deg. But it was a bit of an event touching that round off...
You sir have caused a chuckle. 500+ grains at over 2300 fps ... "bit of an event" :ROFLMAO: I'll bet it was.
321d384480bc1a3fda61573cc4d4febc.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know Peregrine were stopping the 480 gr. But I guess they probably are reacting to the market. 450 gr will flatten trajectory and sectional density is comparable to 375 solid and the 500 gr are there for the heavy brigade (like myself). 480 gr is kind of stuck in no mans land. I managed a 515 gr at 2345 fps with a Lott case, no pressure signs in Harare at about 23 deg. But it was a bit of an event touching that round off and it will be over pressure at 40 deg in the zambezi valley. So I am pretty settled with 515 gr at around 2200 fps out of the Lott. I had some 480's and was pretty happy with those in win mag brass but I am also happy with the 450's. I actually reamed to a Lott because the CZ has the space and the gunsmith did it for free while doing some other work. I am glad that many people seem to have workable loads for the win mag.
As far as I am aware, 2300 is current Hornady factory 500g Lott load, but they do use special propellants which are not available to us. and there are a number of bullet manufacturers who offer .458 cal bullets in 480gr or very close to that. The Rhino is a nice option for .458WM as it has 2 grooves, so you can load long (if your rifle permits it) and still crimp into a groove.

With all things seeing it over your chrono is believing it. It is just a suggestion otherwise.

The flip side of this coin is how did we ever kill anything without knowing how fast and powerful our bullets were on paper?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg