Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Bought a 77 .300 win mag home today, old model with alloy bottom metal. Thing is one of the "scratches" in the listing turned out to be a crack, full bore crack in the trigger guard. Didn't notice at my dealers, but giving it a closer look at home under better light, well its cracked, and so am I for buying another bloody rifle!
So this part is not an easy find, I spent some time tonight looking and the only thing I can find is one on Ebay which I am bidding on though its steel. One or two sellers sell the same product but they're $70!
So if anyone has one they're willing to part with or knows where I can find one, let me know. And yes I did check with Numbrich and the usual parts houses. TIA!!
IMG_5654.JPG

I had one that cracked where the front action screw goes in I think. Maybe that rifle had 3 screws, anyway a small piece missing I didn’t realise.
I did buy an Aftermarket From Brownells, I don’t recall what I paid in Australia but it seemed to be far better quality. Maybe $100 but worth it.
People like the Tang safety so I reckon it’s worth fixing.
Good luck

I’m no expert but that’s a casting, ussually crap that cannot be welded. Probably strong enough under normal use but sometimes things fail.
The Brownells May have bee not a better quality alloy, seemed to be.

Yeah, it must be replaced, just aluminum alloy of some sort. You can see where this one took a hit, good enough to crack it. Oh well, I will find one for it. Not worth sending the rifle back over, the return shipping will be as much as a new part!

sestoppelman,

Not sure where you are located but I believe I have what you need. If you can send me an email address I can send you pictures of it and it will work we can work out the details and it won't be $70... LOL

My email address is in my profile....

DonT

Thanks!

Last edited:
About three years ago I broke mine and picked up one from Brownells.

Thanks to DonT I should have one on the way soon.(y) Thanks!!:)

How in h*** can a crack like that happen? I’ve owned a number of different brand rifles over the years and I’ve never seen a crack like that? Just curious?

Contact with a hard surface. From another angle you can see where this got whacked by something. Its fairly crappy aluminum alloy and apparently these are notorious for cracking, usually around screw holes I gather. First one I have come across but a bit of reading turned up lots of cases.

Contact with a hard surface. From another angle you can see where this got whacked by something. Its fairly crappy aluminum alloy and apparently these are notorious for cracking, usually around screw holes I gather. First one I have come across but a bit of reading turned up lots of cases.
Yeah, I was just wondering? I’ve just never seen that before? It’s great you can get a replacement though?

Is your ????? button stuck in the on position??????:rolleyes:o_O:D??????

Glad to hear that you have a replacement coming...

Picture up some beautiful scenes if you would...

Good to hear that the problem is being solved. I had a 1977 M77 and about 1980 I saw a replacement in a gun store. It was after market, made of steel and appeared to be much better construction than the factory one. I didn't buy it, but considering that was forty years ago and the original style 77s haven't been made for several years, I guess that is why whoever stopped making the aftermarket ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A Rosenth

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you