Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Bought a 77 .300 win mag home today, old model with alloy bottom metal. Thing is one of the "scratches" in the listing turned out to be a crack, full bore crack in the trigger guard. Didn't notice at my dealers, but giving it a closer look at home under better light, well its cracked, and so am I for buying another bloody rifle!
So this part is not an easy find, I spent some time tonight looking and the only thing I can find is one on Ebay which I am bidding on though its steel. One or two sellers sell the same product but they're $70!
So if anyone has one they're willing to part with or knows where I can find one, let me know. And yes I did check with Numbrich and the usual parts houses. TIA!!
IMG_5654.JPG

I had one that cracked where the front action screw goes in I think. Maybe that rifle had 3 screws, anyway a small piece missing I didn’t realise.
I did buy an Aftermarket From Brownells, I don’t recall what I paid in Australia but it seemed to be far better quality. Maybe $100 but worth it.
People like the Tang safety so I reckon it’s worth fixing.
Good luck

I’m no expert but that’s a casting, ussually crap that cannot be welded. Probably strong enough under normal use but sometimes things fail.
The Brownells May have bee not a better quality alloy, seemed to be.

Yeah, it must be replaced, just aluminum alloy of some sort. You can see where this one took a hit, good enough to crack it. Oh well, I will find one for it. Not worth sending the rifle back over, the return shipping will be as much as a new part!

sestoppelman,

Not sure where you are located but I believe I have what you need. If you can send me an email address I can send you pictures of it and it will work we can work out the details and it won't be $70... LOL

My email address is in my profile....

DonT

Thanks!

Last edited:
About three years ago I broke mine and picked up one from Brownells.

Thanks to DonT I should have one on the way soon.(y) Thanks!!:)

How in h*** can a crack like that happen? I’ve owned a number of different brand rifles over the years and I’ve never seen a crack like that? Just curious?

Contact with a hard surface. From another angle you can see where this got whacked by something. Its fairly crappy aluminum alloy and apparently these are notorious for cracking, usually around screw holes I gather. First one I have come across but a bit of reading turned up lots of cases.

Contact with a hard surface. From another angle you can see where this got whacked by something. Its fairly crappy aluminum alloy and apparently these are notorious for cracking, usually around screw holes I gather. First one I have come across but a bit of reading turned up lots of cases.
Yeah, I was just wondering? I’ve just never seen that before? It’s great you can get a replacement though?

Is your ????? button stuck in the on position??????:rolleyes:o_O:D??????

Glad to hear that you have a replacement coming...

Picture up some beautiful scenes if you would...

Good to hear that the problem is being solved. I had a 1977 M77 and about 1980 I saw a replacement in a gun store. It was after market, made of steel and appeared to be much better construction than the factory one. I didn't buy it, but considering that was forty years ago and the original style 77s haven't been made for several years, I guess that is why whoever stopped making the aftermarket ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg