W.J.JEFFERY & CO. Hand Crafted Big Game Rifles

I disagree, as in my opinion (and my personal experience) a Rigby - or a Jeffery - worth every single penny
Agree. Powerful brands have to earn the good will that drives their value and Rigby, Westley Ricards,Jeffery, Purdy have all earned theirs

An unfortunate case of expensive taste perhaps
1703546629697.png

Last edited:
Reactions: WAB
If this was built in the 90's "Rock Island Auction, idk when", would this be a Paul Roberts, ie "Jeffery"?
Many Thanks to anyone.

1703548260581.png

Last edited:
They only sold a total of 24 rifles in .500 Jeffery between 1927 and 1940, and of these 24, 21 were made by Henry Leonard in Birmingham, while the other three were completed by George Gibbs of Bristol, maker of the famous .505 Gibbs. Not to be outdone, Westley Richards completed a lone double in .500 Jeffery in 1937 as well.

Original .500 Jeffery rifles are extremely rare. They tend to end up in collections, never to reappear again, and are highly treasured. They also have a strange effect on some people. No names will be uttered here, but in one instance, a certain “collector” borrowed an original Jeffery .500 from its owner “just to take photographs” and replaced the action with another Magnum M98 action from a .404 that he had specially engraved for the purpose. The switch was discovered by a sharp-eyed gunsmith who alerted the rifle’s owner. Murder and carnage were avoided, albeit only just. Such depravity borders on the insane, it must be said.

Again, a 2002 .. Just curious how many rifles were built under the "W. J. Jeffery" name 1940-2023? If I'm wording this correct.
1703550832074.png

Last edited:
I recommend an honest comparison between the rifles made by R. Smithson, R. Buehler, R. Breeding, R. Martini, Dorleac & Dorleac, and other top makers and the London (Birmingham, actually) makers. I challenge you to find even a single point in which the 'London' products are superior.

The Brits make great shotguns, I fully admit, but the rifles are not in the same class. Rarity, collectability, 'brand value', etc. do not count in the assessment of actual build quality.

I recommend an honest comparison between the rifles made by R. Smithson, R. Buehler, R. Breeding, R. Martini, Dorleac & Dorleac, and other top makers and the London (Birmingham, actually) makers. I challenge you to find even a single point in which the 'London' products are superior.

The Brits make great shotguns, I fully admit, but the rifles are not in the same class. Rarity, collectability, 'brand value', etc. do not count in the assessment of actual build quality.
Have you owned a rifle from one of top English gun makers?
I'd love someone to hand me a rifle that's of better build quality than this Rigby I just bought, not saying there isn't better out there, just saying if there is It must be bloody amazing.

I don’t need to own one to have thoroughly inspected one. I do have a number of Brit double guns from Boss, H. Atkin, Dickson, and Harkom. Excellent weapons. The top builders in the UK produce good rifles as well… but not any better than those from other top makers, and certainly not “better enough” to demand 3X the price.
I shoot left-handed and most of my rifles were built for me by top tier U.S. makers, so I am quite familiar with their quality and pricing.
Of course, anyone is free to buy and spend whatever they wish, I am not a Communist after all.

I don’t need to own one to have thoroughly inspected one. I do have a number of Brit double guns from Boss, H. Atkin, Dickson, and Harkom. Excellent weapons. The top builders in the UK produce good rifles as well… but not any better than those from other top makers, and certainly not “better enough” to demand 3X the price.
I shoot left-handed and most of my rifles were built for me by top tier U.S. makers, so I am quite familiar with their quality and pricing.
Of course, anyone is free to buy and spend whatever they wish, I am not a Communist after all.
You should know better than to have your own opinion by now.

I was stalking red deer on the Earl of Mansfields estate thirty or so years ago. I was given the Earl’s Rigby in .275 Rigby to use. It was one of the finest rifles I have ever handled. I will take nothing away from the fine American makers, I have three of their rifles, but my nod still goes to the London Best.

Just curious, the "California Built Rigby's" .. are they still considered London guns?
Hardly. The Paso Robles guns are not the same.

Not to dismiss anyone's knowledge here, a really great member shared his thoughts & pics (here) on a "W. J. Jeffery" .500 listing. The outfitter never shared who built it, 80's, 90's, price was Firm, Cost was Exorbitant & Layaway Available. It sold for asking price.
1703613364580.png

This is what prompt the thread. Who Built W. J. Jeffery's from 1940 to 2023.
Information is invaluable.

Reactions: WAB
Just curious, the "California Built Rigby's" .. are they still considered London guns?
NO!!! and i now own one and love it! However it has Paso Robles on the barrel in addition to the gold John Rigby. According to JJ Perodeau i have a great rifle very well made…however in no way whatsoever would JJ say my DR Rigby made in CA ever compare with a London made

It is one of the most common and unappealing human traits. This forum is full of my X at one tenth the price is just as good as his Y. I shoot my inexpensive whatever better than anyone else can shoot their more expensive choice. It is true whether we are talking guns, watches, or whisky.

I will never spend the money for a London Best SxS, but I can certainly recognize them for the unique craftsmanship they represent. I actually feel sorry for those who can't.
Same here. When I graduated from University of London in 1965, my father took me to the James Purdey & Sons store when he & my mother came to pick me up during my graduation. Ever since that day, I've dreamt of owning a James Purdey & Sons double rifle (preferably in .600 Nitro Express).

I don't think I'll ever succeed, but I think it's incredibly lowly & uncouth for people to belittle them simply because they are out of our budget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomaineBar

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.