Vaguard shooters out there?

Axle2010

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hey guys this may be a dumb question but I'm asking anyway. I bought a Vanguard Deluxe in 300 WM to take to SA and this thing absolutely does NOT kick. I have a BLR in 7mm Rem mag, a Tikka T3 308, Savage 3006, and my old model 94 30 30 I've shot several other rifles so I'm not completely inexperienced but this 300 shoots much softer than I expected, its honestly no harder than my 308 and def less than the 7mm. So is this normal for Weatherby or is the 300WM recoil just over rated? If it's normal fare for Weatherby then I know what my 375 will be!

WM = Weatherby Magnum or Winchester Magnum?

I’ve shot a vanguard in 300 win mag. It kicked horribly, much much worse than a 375. Very accurate though and fed well from what I remember. Maybe you have a model that’s heavier than the one I shot. If I recall correctly it was their “weatherguard” model.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Weatherby, that I took to SA on my first safari. The reloads 300 Weatherby with 180 grs Accubonds did wonders, all animals recovered were one shot kills. Very accurate rifles.

WM = Weatherby Magnum or Winchester Magnum?
Winchester Magnum. Sorry bout that. I have the deluxe with a wood stock but the dealer called it an "oil deluxe", it has an oil rubbed matte finish and 1 grade better wood supposedly. Idk what it is but she really does kick surprisingly easy.

If i can keep only one .375 it will be my 375 weatherby.MarkV.
Krish
In my experience, people (in general and some on this site) look down on the Weatherby models because of the unusual stock shape and the beliefs of its founder. I’ve never had a bad experience with any of their rifles and have always found them to be great quality.

I have a collection of Weatherby MK-V deluxe from the 240 up to the 300, and like them all. :giggle: No issues with any of them, and they are all accurate.

Have 2 weatherby vanguards - one in .223 and the other in .300 win mag, both synthetic stocks. Shot 4 coyotes today with the .223, use it frequently. The .300 win mag has a kick similar to my .375 but is extremely accurate. The load I shoot makes a lot of difference - 150 grain versus 200 or 220 grain. Another factor is the fit - that gun may fit you better

Yah the Win mag is not so bad if the rifle has decent amount of weight to it. Huge difference between the Tikka T3 Lite I had and my M70.

The Vanguard is basically a Howa 1500 and they are decent rifles for their price. My beef with Weatherby's is they try to compensate for poor stock design by putting a brake on the end of an already unwieldy barrel (at least for me). Does your rifle have a muzzle brake on it? that might explain why it hardly kicks. A decent brake will make a .300 Win Mag feel like a 25-06. It deafens you and all those around you while simultaneously clearing your sinuses.... but it does reduce recoil.

Hey guys this may be a dumb question but I'm asking anyway. I bought a Vanguard Deluxe in 300 WM to take to SA and this thing absolutely does NOT kick. I have a BLR in 7mm Rem mag, a Tikka T3 308, Savage 3006, and my old model 94 30 30 I've shot several other rifles so I'm not completely inexperienced but this 300 shoots much softer than I expected, its honestly no harder than my 308 and def less than the 7mm. So is this normal for Weatherby or is the 300WM recoil just over rated? If it's normal fare for Weatherby then I know what my 375 will be!
@Axle2010
Sounds like you lucked onto a rifle with a stock tat fits you like a glove. A good fitting stock does wonders to taming recoil.
The stock on my Whelen fits like a custom despite being a plastic Savage stock, recoil come straight back. I can comfortably shoot 20 to 30 rounds down range without a problem. The mates Sauer 200 9.3x62 on te other hand kicks like a bitch and slaps me up the cheek. 1 shot does me out of that prick of a thing.
Stock fit means a lot.
Bob

I’ve owned 3 Vanguards and one mk5, and all have been pleasant to shoot. I attribute this to the design of the comb on the stock. Probably the most comfortable rifle stock I’ve ever used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviaJoine

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.