AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Botswana, South Africa, USA, New Zealand, Australia
Hello All Double fellows.

I have a question for the educated and experienced folks on this site, I have a double Krieghoff 9.3x74r and while I was looking for an additional set of barrels to add to the firearm, I was hoping for a 7x54 set of barrels, this has however proved to be very expensive as well as almost impossible without having to send the firearm all over even potentially international . enough blah blah...
My question: can one utilize the right barrel for longer distance shooting say out to 200met with lighter, faster, flatter ammo? With the Rifle regulated to 286g and on target at 100met scoped 1x for that distance and those loads.
If one is to add another scope and sight the rifle ( one barrel) with the light loads and faster loads 198-232g on the single barrel only, can this be an option?. I realize this means taking the 1x scope off and replacing it with a 6-8x scope and changing the loads for the specific hunt.

Any one who has tried this and or has experience in this field please share if possible. I guess I am looking for two options from my single rifle, if all else fails maybe a Hubertus may be an option. :)

Regards
nembwe

Funny you ask...I bought a 1981 Browning Superposed "Express" rifle in 7.62-'06 hoping the top barrel would naturally shoot about 2" high. It turned out it was 4" high at 100 yards with a 150 grain Corelokt in both barrels. That's a little too much higher so I started looking for loads that would bring the two bullets closer. The long and short is that I settled on a 150 grain Federal Premium in the bottom barrel and a Nosler 180 brass casing in top barrel. The nickle plated Federals with the white tips are easy to keep separate from the brass green-tipped 180 grain bullets. I took it out prior to the season and this is the Over/Under grouping at 100 yards with a 1.5x-5x scope. The red dot is about the size of my thumb print and about the same size as the intersection of the cross hairs. I don't have a 200 yard range but the ballistic tables say putting a 150 grain bullet in the Over barrel will shot point blank at 200 yards.

So I've ended up with the choice between a 180 grain BT or 150 AB for the first shot, an immediate follow-up shot that shots the same point of impact and, by putting a 150 in the top barrel I am point-of-aim at 200 yards. The cost for this versatility is making sure to buy the 150 grains in a nickle-plated Federal Premium and the 180 grain bullets in a brass casing.

4555B3CE-7026-4346-977F-C2FA38E06152.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello All Double fellows.

I have a question for the educated and experienced folks on this site, I have a double Krieghoff 9.3x74r and while I was looking for an additional set of barrels to add to the firearm, I was hoping for a 7x54 set of barrels, this has however proved to be very expensive as well as almost impossible without having to send the firearm all over even potentially international . enough blah blah...
My question: can one utilize the right barrel for longer distance shooting say out to 200met with lighter, faster, flatter ammo? With the Rifle regulated to 286g and on target at 100met scoped 1x for that distance and those loads.
If one is to add another scope and sight the rifle ( one barrel) with the light loads and faster loads 198-232g on the single barrel only, can this be an option?. I realize this means taking the 1x scope off and replacing it with a 6-8x scope and changing the loads for the specific hunt.

Any one who has tried this and or has experience in this field please share if possible. I guess I am looking for two options from my single rifle, if all else fails maybe a Hubertus may be an option. :)

I had no issues with my scoped Heym double in 9.3x74R out to 200 yards. I also utilized both barrels at 150 yards (an Impala each). I had a ballistic turret Swarovski scope in 1.7-10X

This was with Hornady spire point factory ammo in 286 grains. I don't see why you would try a lighter bullet.

My Blaser S2 is my best "long range" double rifle. Wearing 30-06, .375, or 500-416 barrels it shoots MOA or better from each barrel, and manages 2 - 2.5" composite LxR/LxR four shot scoped groups at 100 meters. However, I sight in using the right barrel. That gives me first shot accuracy equal to any single shot to the maximum point blank range of the caliber and bullet. yet by doing so, it still provides me an immediate second shot within a couple of MOA of the first one. Something of a best of both worlds.

The .375 and 30-06 barrels took a wide range of game on a hunt in the Zambezi Delta of Mozambique ranging from duiker to cape buffalo at ranges from feet to 200+ yards.

@Tanks has had a similar success with his 9.3 Heym.

I had no issues with my scoped Heym double in 9.3x74R out to 200 yards. I also utilized both barrels at 150 yards (an Impala each). I had a ballistic turret Swarovski scope in 1.7-10X

This was with Hornady spire point factory ammo in 286 grains. I don't see why you would try a lighter bullet.
Thanks Tanks
I will attempt to change things- (scope) that was one option, glad to hear that you were able to get a decent set at 200, I will endeavor to keep going to get the best results.

Thank you

My Blaser S2 is my best "long range" double rifle. Wearing 30-06, .375, or 500-416 barrels it shoots MOA or better from each barrel, and manages 2 - 2.5" composite LxR/LxR four shot scoped groups at 100 meters. However, I sight in using the right barrel. That gives me first shot accuracy equal to any single shot to the maximum point blank range of the caliber and bullet. yet by doing so, it still provides me an immediate second shot within a couple of MOA of the first one. Something of a best of both worlds.

The .375 and 30-06 barrels took a wide range of game on a hunt in the Zambezi Delta of Mozambique ranging from duiker to cape buffalo at ranges from feet to 200+ yards.

@Tanks has had a similar success with his 9.3 Heym.
Thanks Red Leg, info much appreciated.

My main rifle to hunt with is a 450-400 Harrison and Hussey ble. It has been my rifle since the mid 1990s. It will shoot 2" at 50 yards all day with open sights. When I use the scope (Swarovski 1.25-4x, 30mm) the regulation will changer greatly so I sight in the scope for one barrel only (I shoot the left barrel first) adn don't bother with the right barrel when the scope is on the rifle. I've shot three animals over 200 yards--caribou and hartebeest. When the scope is off I have an accurate double rifle. When the scope is on I have an accurate single shot. A quick second shot is not needed at scope distance.

My main rifle to hunt with is a 450-400 Harrison and Hussey ble. It has been my rifle since the mid 1990s. It will shoot 2" at 50 yards all day with open sights. When I use the scope (Swarovski 1.25-4x, 30mm) the regulation will changer greatly so I sight in the scope for one barrel only (I shoot the left barrel first) adn don't bother with the right barrel when the scope is on the rifle. I've shot three animals over 200 yards--caribou and hartebeest. When the scope is off I have an accurate double rifle. When the scope is on I have an accurate single shot. A quick second shot is not needed at scope distance.
Thanks Cal
Sounds about right.

... When I use the scope (Swarovski 1.25-4x, 30mm) the regulation will changer greatly so I sight in the scope for one barrel only (I shoot the left barrel first) adn don't bother with the right barrel when the scope is on the rifle. ...

One thing I did forget to mention. My Heym was regulated without a scope at 50 meters and WITH the scope at 100 meters. I sent my scope to Heym for them to put claw mounts on and regulate the double with the scope on, as from the start it was meant to be a scoped rifle. Heym did a great job as proven by my recent hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HalinaKers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you