Using Thermal Imaging for Hunting

The ones you were trying to spot are probably the ones who “walked away” with it. ;) Wouldn’t that be ironic.

You should look into some of the newer tech stuff that’s available now. Prices have come down in recent years as it’s becoming more available.

Doubt it...those ones would not have got inside the house..... ;) :D Beers:

This subject is really interesting to me. After getting the chance to use thermal handhelds over the Christmas season while hunting in England, I now am in need of one! @BeeMaa and I have been discussing them, so I’m glad to see others’ thoughts about their use. A good thermal doesn’t lie… it is amazing what they pick up when walking in the woods.
I plan to get one for a variety of purposes.
Does anyone know if we can take them to SA and then Namibia and back to the USA?

We use thermal and nv all the time. It is legal to do so here in Texas for exotics, predators, and feral pigs. Every keyboard warrior in the world will get all kinds of bent out of shape over it. My advice, if it is legal to do what you are doing and YOU feel that you are doing so in an ethical manner then who cares what someone else thinks. That is a personal decision. We love them and will continue to use and love thermal and NV where applicable and I could well and truly careless what the peanut gallery thinks. Thermal hunting hogs and predators at night is an absolute hoot! We have also used them very successfully in recovering game that was hit a little bad right at dusk. You can generally pick the heat trace of the animal laying there which aides in the recovery and cuts down on lost/ruined meat from predators.

Compared to spotlights or night vision, thermal has a decided safety benefit for pest animal control, especialy when operating on an unfamiliar property. It detects any heat source including behind bushes etc even at a distance. Stray campers, stock, vehicles, even occupied sheds are highlighted. Spotlights and night vision (where assisted by external IR light) basically see within the limits of the illuminated area, Anything outside the beam is in darkness.

The first time I experienced thermals I stated they are a game changer, a description not surprisingly used by most when they see them in action. For ethical hunting, no, I consider them cheating. For problem animal/pest/vermin control they are without parallel. The ability to "see" animals that would otherwise be invisible, even to night vision which still relies on an amount of available light is amazing. Add to that the ability to go about the business of selective pest destruction without disturbing other animals or people, watch a few Youtube vid's of rats, pigeon's etc being removed from barns and chook houses while the domestic animals sleep peacefully. One night out with the Father in law and a mate who runs a sideline pest control business I shot a rabbit not 20 yards away, thinking he was safe in the grass. We had been talking beside the ute, complete with all it's canopy lights on, for a good 15 mins and he would have been there the whole time.
Another guy I know conducts similar operations around our capital city with a suppressed .300 BLK and thermal scope, the city residents blissfully unaware he's out there. Pro's & Con's for this capability too I suppose.

Searching the internet, I see a lot of new tech on the horizon..... In fact, the technology exists now to make push button finding, identifying, and killing possible. As with thermal, advocates cite safety, and less waste. What could possibly be wrong with that?....................good hunting.............FWB

When I use night vision I’m killing and not hunting. At least that’s my mindset. As far as carrying it out on turkeys or deer around where I live I would not do it. Even if there’s nothing prohibiting it I think it would make a warden’s brain melt that I have thermal and my deer rifle and don’t intend to take that monster if he appears in it before legal shooting hours.
Agreed. Hunting is an honourable pursuit, not a killing spree. It is also only fair and reasonable that animals have their time out. Night time is for flickering flames and Scotch.

On humans I thoroughly agree, whether it is combat or security monitoring, if they are there to harm you in the dark, no problem taking them out in the dark.

Does anyone know if we can take them to SA and then Namibia and back to the USA?
The transport and sale of them within the E.U. Is controlled. You can walk into a shop and buy what you want.We can freely take our sporting firearms with us using a European Union Firearms Pass. Thermal requires an export licence. Might not be too different in your case.

For hunting pigs, thermal scopes are awesome - day and night

your monocular is excellent for finding games in brush , particularly shot game that didn’t go down. In this instance I think they support good ethics.

I predict in 10 years most high end scopes will have built-in ballistics, some form of thermal/night vision

The transport and sale of them within the E.U. Is controlled. You can walk into a shop and buy what you want.We can freely take our sporting firearms with us using a European Union Firearms Pass. Thermal requires an export licence. Might not be too different in your case.
I will be asking my PH about the legalities of bringing it to Zim. However we are flying to a couple different countries on our way there so I'll need to find out about those as well. Then there is the difference between what the laws actually are and what the local authorities believe to be the law. They just might want their own thermal without having to pay for it. Anything from a misunderstanding that leads to it being taken away to an outright shakedown is possible.

Let's not forget about how we are getting to Africa...flying, and the restrictions that Lithium-Ion batteries bring. The law for Li-Ion batteries is that spare (uninstalled) Li-Ion batteries are not allowed in checked baggage and must be kept with the passenger in the carry-on, but the actual airline could have further restrictions that prohibit ANY Li-Ion battery in checked luggage.

Also need to check with Homeland Security TSA. At a minimum I'm sure it will need to be on a 4457.

It might be best for the guide service/safari company to invest in their own thermal if they wish to use them. If I were going to Alaska (not technically leaving the US) it's one thing, but flying into another country is a completely different story.

Last edited:
Well I’ve had an iPhone burst into flames midway between Barcelona and DC. Fortunately I was in Row 1 and the pilot got to the fire suppression bag quickly. In the hold, they can’t get to the batteries to put them out.

New battery chemistry from companies like Soteria promise to end these spontaneous fires but for now, it’s a really good idea to keep lithiums where you can get to them

I have used a thermion for several years now

I have zeros and 'range cards' for .177 HMR, .22LR, .223 and 6.5 x 55 - all stored in its memory

I use it / them for rats rabbits and foxes

A hand held for game spotting in the bush would be fascinating

It would bring a new element to bundu bashing

PS

Changing from one calibre to another other is effortless as I use an R8 :cool:

Last edited:
When I use night vision I’m killing and not hunting. At least that’s my mindset. As far as carrying it out on turkeys or deer around where I live I would not do it. Even if there’s nothing prohibiting it I think it would make a warden’s brain melt that I have thermal and my deer rifle and don’t intend to take that monster if he appears in it before legal shooting hours.
I will be contacting the local Virginia DWR office to inquire about this, but from what I've read there are no restrictions on the use of thermal devices. I'll let you know about the brain melting...

Well I’ve had an iPhone burst into flames midway between Barcelona and DC. Fortunately I was in Row 1 and the pilot got to the fire suppression bag quickly. In the hold, they can’t get to the batteries to put them out.

New battery chemistry from companies like Soteria promise to end these spontaneous fires but for now, it’s a really good idea to keep lithiums where you can get to them
Or just don't carry them. I was also on a plane from Sao Paulo to Jhb that caught fire over the Atlantic. It was in the overhead locker but it still took a while to put it out. So now I think it is the height of irresponsibility to sneak on batteries or any of those progibited things on their chart. Just dumb.

Wow. Interesting thread! I like reading all the different views on the subject. Curious to see more discussion! (y)

They said the same things when glass came out

Or just don't carry them. I was also on a plane from Sao Paulo to Jhb that caught fire over the Atlantic. It was in the overhead locker but it still took a while to put it out. So now I think it is the height of irresponsibility to sneak on batteries or any of those progibited things on their chart. Just dumb.
Li-Ion batteries are not prohibited, they are restricted to the carry-on luggage only and I would not consider that irresponsible. However, I would agree with you that knowingly or unknowingly placing them in checked baggage is irresponsible.

I will be contacting the local Virginia DWR office to inquire about this, but from what I've read there are no restrictions on the use of thermal devices. I'll let you know about the brain melting...
Thermals are awesome during the day as well. Another R8 friend has an XP50 which I tried at FRGC. I was impressed. Personally holding out for the next gen.

Thermals are awesome during the day as well. Another R8 friend has an XP50 which I tried at FRGC. I was impressed. Personally holding out for the next gen.

This is the problem with such kit

It improves so rapidly that you are out of date quickly

That said - you can wait for ever

Mine is not the best, but is hugely better than the mk1 eyeball in the dead of night

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg