Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT, KS
Had the opportunity to go hunt some low fence/free range Axis this summer, and of course I was all over it. Axis might be my favorite animal to hunt here in the States. I also had the experience of guiding my wife and a buddy of mine.

First buck - made a great stalk while hunting with another guy, and we tried to double up. He connected but I shot high - I was sitting down, elbow on knee, and never really got situated comfortably. I need to practice this for sure. Anyways, caught back up to the group and made a much better shot on this guy @ 160 yds. 143gr ELD-X out of my 6.5 Creedmoor. He was injured on the one side - he had a deep crack/fissure on the short side that had healed over. Not sure what happened but gave him a unique look.

20180427_163730.jpg

A couple weeks later, I took the wife. We spent some time glassing the herd (there's several hundred animals on the place we hunt, it's not unusual to see groups of 50-100+). We picked out a nice one, and she planted him with a great shot (270 Win w/ 140gr A-Frames, like she used in Africa). We followed up once the herd slowed down and I managed to get a bead on one with pretty heavy bases.

20180513_082019.jpg

20180513_083633.jpg

Finally, I got to do some more guiding (which I really love doing). Got my buddy from work on a fantastic buck after a whole lot of stalking, and he made a nice quartering away shot at about 250 yds (we ran out of cover!) but the 300 WM did the trick. Right at 30" on both sides, a really nice symmetric deer which I love. Not going to lie, I was a little jealous of this guy.

IMG_3994-2.jpg

Congratulations.... I love axis..... Beautiful & delicious!

Very nicely done.

Fantastic! Well done to the 3 of you.

Awesome. Hopefully I'll hunt axis someday!

very nice deer.................liked the report too...............telling the miss and the hit.......................well done to all..................................FWB

Had another opportunity to take a hunter out. We put in about 2 miles before we were able to close the gap on a small herd and get a shot at this nice buck. Just shy of 30".

20180707_072725.jpg

Congrats.

WOW! And what are you going to call your Guide service;)!
Congratulations on some fine beasts!

WOW! And what are you going to call your Guide service;)!
Congratulations on some fine beasts!
Thanks! I don't know what I would call it, but I wish I could do it all day every day for sure

Some great looking animals thats for sure. Looks like a lot of fun. Congrats
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gamgee

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.