Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT, KS
Had the opportunity to go hunt some low fence/free range Axis this summer, and of course I was all over it. Axis might be my favorite animal to hunt here in the States. I also had the experience of guiding my wife and a buddy of mine.

First buck - made a great stalk while hunting with another guy, and we tried to double up. He connected but I shot high - I was sitting down, elbow on knee, and never really got situated comfortably. I need to practice this for sure. Anyways, caught back up to the group and made a much better shot on this guy @ 160 yds. 143gr ELD-X out of my 6.5 Creedmoor. He was injured on the one side - he had a deep crack/fissure on the short side that had healed over. Not sure what happened but gave him a unique look.

20180427_163730.jpg

A couple weeks later, I took the wife. We spent some time glassing the herd (there's several hundred animals on the place we hunt, it's not unusual to see groups of 50-100+). We picked out a nice one, and she planted him with a great shot (270 Win w/ 140gr A-Frames, like she used in Africa). We followed up once the herd slowed down and I managed to get a bead on one with pretty heavy bases.

20180513_082019.jpg

20180513_083633.jpg

Finally, I got to do some more guiding (which I really love doing). Got my buddy from work on a fantastic buck after a whole lot of stalking, and he made a nice quartering away shot at about 250 yds (we ran out of cover!) but the 300 WM did the trick. Right at 30" on both sides, a really nice symmetric deer which I love. Not going to lie, I was a little jealous of this guy.

IMG_3994-2.jpg

Congratulations.... I love axis..... Beautiful & delicious!

Very nicely done.

Fantastic! Well done to the 3 of you.

Awesome. Hopefully I'll hunt axis someday!

very nice deer.................liked the report too...............telling the miss and the hit.......................well done to all..................................FWB

Had another opportunity to take a hunter out. We put in about 2 miles before we were able to close the gap on a small herd and get a shot at this nice buck. Just shy of 30".

20180707_072725.jpg

Congrats.

WOW! And what are you going to call your Guide service;)!
Congratulations on some fine beasts!

WOW! And what are you going to call your Guide service;)!
Congratulations on some fine beasts!
Thanks! I don't know what I would call it, but I wish I could do it all day every day for sure

Some great looking animals thats for sure. Looks like a lot of fun. Congrats
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois