Hookboy88

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Several months ago I started looking around for an Outfitter in Texas for me and my Father to go hunting. After talking to several Outfitters I reached out to Rocking G Ranch and after talking to Erik I made my mind up that Rocking G Ranch was where me and Dad would be hunting. I am very glad I made that decision.

We booked a hunt for Mid June. My Father was not sure what he wanted to hunt but had talked about an Axis. I kinda have a soft spot for hogs and had made my mind up to hunt one of Rocking G Ranch’s big Eurasian hogs.

When we arrived We were met by Erik, Justin and Kelly. All very nice and friendly people. Those of you that have been to Rocking G Ranch can attest to Kelly’s cooking. She can cook!!!

Erik and Justin showed me and dad around the property the first day and shared their knowledge of the local plants, trees and history of Texas. It was a very enjoyable time.

The next morning we are up early and hit the road about 5:45 AM with Justin as our guide. I talked to Justin the night before and informed him that my father had just recently finished up some treatments and was not yet back to 100 % and explained that we may have to take it a little slower at times for dad. Justin assured me that my Father was in good hands. The first morning we saw a lot of game. And made a failed stalk or two on BlackBuck. The BlackBuck caught my Dads eye and he really seemed to like them. Only problem was that every time dad got set up to shoot the BlackBuck would either spook or simply decided that they had somewhere else they wanted to be. This was repeated for the entire hunt. Justin would get dad into position on the BlackBuck and right as he was about to squeeze the trigger they would run off.

We hunted till around 11 or so and went back for lunch. Me and dad had both had a sleepless night the night before we flew down ( stayed in a hotel by the airport that must have had some very thin walls) and we decided to lay down and take a nap. We got up and headed back out that evening. We saw several animals including some hogs but Justin told me that he could beat the ones we had seen so far. Those hogs were really something to look at and all of them seemed very large to me. After more failed BlackBuck stalks we headed back for the night. Kelly had baked a very nice cake when we arrived back to the lodge and we all set down and ate and talked about the days events before retiring to bed.

Up and one the road again at 5:45. We saw some BlackBuck and made a stalk but, you guessed it... dad was about to pull the trigger and boom they are gone. We set off on foot and follow Justin. We are sneaking through the bushes and see the BlackBuck again and dad try’s to get set up as I watch them run away... We keep walking and Justin tells me that he can see a pig tail up ahead. We head that way and there’s actually two boars together. Justin tells me which one has the best cutters and is the biggest weight wise and I get on the sticks and have a Hog down!!! We take some pictures and Justin walks back to the UTV while me and dad hang out with the Hog. Justin gets back and we load it up and as we are riding we see another big Hog a long ways off. We jump off the UTV and huff it on foot and but by the time we get up to where we had seen the hog it was gone. We hunt a little longer and then decide to head back for lunch.

We head back out that evening and almost immediately see some BlackBuck. We try and stalk up on them but they ran off right as dad is about to pull the trigger, once again.... We had never even seen BlackBuck before and learned very quickly that they will not hang around long at all. We decided to try and crest a hill and see if we could
Locate them again when Justin points out a monster Hog a long ways off feeding. After looking this hog over my father decided that he had his heart set on that Hog and we decided to move in and see if we could get closer. As we are approaching I couldn’t see the Hog and feared that he ran off but then Justin tells me that he can see his legs. We fall in behind Justin and keep going. We get to where we can see the Hog and it looked massive!!!! Justin sets dad up on the sticks and he pulls the trigger... I watch the hog jump and can tell he is hit good. Dad works the bolt as the hog runs off. Justin tells us that the hog was hit good and that he won’t go far. We move up the hill and Justin tells me that he can see the hog. It’s laid in the bushes but is still alive. Dad catches up and sends another round home to finish him off. We set the hog up and take some pictures as the light was fading. Dads hog was a stud!!

We get the hog loaded and head back in the dark. Once back at the Lodge Kelly has some more cake for us too.

I can’t say enough about how good everyone there at the ranch was to me and my Father. Kelly was a great host and Justin busted his butt to get us on good quality animals. If my dad had been a little quicker he would have had a nice BlackBuck but he was very happy with his Eurasian Boar. I spoke with Erik and he will be doing shoulder mounts on both of our Boars. I am very glad I got to spend this time with my Father.

IMG_1953.JPG
IMG_5889.JPG
IMG_1938.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats !

The Rocking G is a fun and special place. And yeah, Kelly can flat out cook.

Congratulations!

I hope to make it there someday for bison and some pigs.

I had a great time at the Rockin G but there was no Kelly cooking for me…it was just Erik and myself. Fortunately he can cook too!!!
Those are two wicked looking pigs. Congrats.

Congrats on two great looking boars! Sorry to read your father did not get the blackbuck he wanted, but he got a good boar. I hope you get a chance to return and get one of those blackbuck. All of the ones I saw there were either far off or running that way.

Great hogs, congrats !

Great hog! Yes that is a special place for sure! We can feel your pain on those Blackbuck….. they beat us on several occasions.

Congrats on two great looking boars! Sorry to read your father did not get the blackbuck he wanted, but he got a good boar. I hope you get a chance to return and get one of those blackbuck. All of the ones I saw there were either far off or running that way.

Yes, I will be going back. Had a great time there. And I agree those blackbuck don’t hang around long. Made for a fun hunt

Maybe I missed it but what rifles and loads were you using?

So good to see a father and son get to hunt together. Congratulations on the fine boars!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReynaUrquh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.