Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA
Howdy y'all,

I want to post a quick report about our trip out to the Rockin' G.

I've had the good fortune to be able to hunt the Rockin' G a few times, now..... and over the years become good friends with @gizmo . Last Fall, while hunting Aoudad, he suggested I come out in the Spring for Turkeys, Hogs, Fish, etc.

As life goes, the Winter & Spring months got crazy..... with work, kids, death in family, etc. I was convinced it wasn't going to work out this year. Things were so crazy, my wife & I really barely celebrated our own 20th Wedding Anniversary.

Staying regular communication with @gizmo, I told him I really didn't know if I was going to be able to thread that needle. Then he rolled around the idea of bringing my family. It sounds great on paper, but to actually execute would be totally different. Nevertheless, we said F it.... let's try. So you know... My wife is a Texas girl, but not exactly a Country Girl. My 10 year old daughter is a gamer, all girly girl around her & all Tom Boy around Dad ... up for whatever. My son, he is 12, he has Autism.... here typically lies the challenge. He is the greatest dude, one of the great purposes of my life. However, the obstacles life throws at him, requires the family dynamic to be flexible & often times having to forego many opportunities.

So here we go..... April 27th, the kids cut school, we are loaded for bear. We leave our home in NTX for the 300 mile drive to the Rockin' G. The drive was a non-event, which is good thing.... 5 hours later we arrive. Kids & wife got to see parts of TX they have never seen.

Once we arrive, they were amazed at the Lodge..... All the comforts of home, plus awesome views overlooking the ranch to the South. My son was anxious to go check out the creeks, ponds & lakes. My daughter was excited to out for my evening hunt.... The wife, she was excited about being left alone on a wrap around porch watching the beautiful Texas sun go down.... in peace & quiet.

Upon arrival, @gizmo threw us a little bit of a curve ball. (Remember, this was supposed to be my Turkey & Hog hunt)...... He said that he was wanting to do some management to his Sheep herd ( i.e. Black Hawaiian, Merino, Texas Dall, etc.) He asked if my daughter would be interested. She lit up like a Christmas Tree....pretty soon we were off stalking Sheep.

Funny thing is most of you hunters will understand....sometimes what we think will be a slam dunk, often becomes an exercise in futility. @gizmo thought it would be fairly easy to locate the sheep & get in position.
Well 2.8 miles on foot later, stalking, crawling, walking, hiking, digging thorns out of shoes, socks, etc. We got in a favorable position. We rapidly place the .308 on the sticks, I was obsessing to her, are you ok, can you see it, you on the right one, etc...... seconds later. My daughter said "YES"!!!!! And Boom, dropped like a bag of concrete at 100 yards.

After loading up, heading back to the skinning shed (i.e. Badass first class barn), it was late. So a few cocktails, dinner & bed.

Next Morning, my son really wanted to go to the Caprock Canyon State Park.... It is only like 30 min away, and that area & the Town of Turkey looks so much like his favorite show/movie... Cars (Lightning McQueen). So the entire morning was spent sightseeing.

Once we got back to ranch.... We spent the majority of the afternoon fishing at the Lake & the Creek. Oddly enough everyone caught fish except for Dad.... you know the guy that has been fishing from Florida to Mexico to Hawaii to Alaska to Montana to Colorado & back to Texas.

Later that evening, @gizmo really wanted to take my son & the rest of us over the his High Fenced operation, to see some of the trophy exotics he has. I bet we spent a few hours over there... probbaly saw 5-6 species, 30+ animals. He explained to my wife that wasn't very many... She was shocked. It is incredible how those animals can hide in those cedar breaks, mesquites & deep canyons..... literally just "vanish".

Erik took my daughter & I out for an evening turkey hunt.... sadly the turkeys got to our spot before we did. So we just watched the turkey from a distance & enjoyed.

Sunday morning came..... after a good nights rest after a full day prior. It was time to pack up for the 5 hour drive back.... The kids have school, dad has work & mom has a lot of laundry to do.

The time I spend at the Rockin' G, is always treasured. I mean it is awesome. However, this time.... no turkey, no hogs, no fish.... But memories... man the memories.

Life just got a little more expensive for me.... We have a new Huntress to welcome to the fold.

Thanks for letting me share!

IMG_1345.JPG
IMG_1337.JPG
IMG_1330.JPG
IMG_1333.JPG
IMG_1362.JPG
IMG_1334.JPG
IMG_1340.JPG
IMG_1343.JPG
IMG_1358.JPG

More pics.... they were supposed to be in the original post.... but I'm stupid. :(

IMG_1364.jpg
IMG_1321.jpg
IMG_1323.jpg
IMG_1324.jpg
IMG_1363.JPG

More pics.... that were supposed to be in first post. :(

IMG_1359.JPG
IMG_1366.JPG
IMG_1365.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Your daughters expression is worth the drive and the future budget adjustment!
Glad you got the whole family out.
Awesome.

Brickburn beat me too it. That is a million dollar smile from your daughter. Great job helping her to get off to a great start as a hunter. She'll brag about this trip and it will be well remembered. Nice that you can drive there for a long weekend. Congrats
Bruce

@BWH I hope @gizmo didn't throw any parts at you or your daughter when he was skinning that sheep.... :whistle:

Last edited:
Holy smokes your daughter's smile lights up a photo...adorable! Congrats to her as well as yourself and Erik for making it happen, she got herself a nice ram! I'll bet your son enjoyed Caprock. I have a pic of myself standing with that same cliff in the background when Erik took me there! I'm itching to get back to the Rockin G, but it will have to wait for a while yet until I get my Africa trip behind me. It was a fantastic place when I was there in January 2016 and with all the additions and work done to the ranch it looks even better now. Gizmo can show a person a good time!

That smile is one of the best I have seen in a hunting picture. Makes my day seeing young kids get a chance to hunt and have there mom/dad there supporting them. Good job done by a great group of people. I hope one day she gets to see Africa with her own eyes and share that with dad to.

Thank you Brad, guys let me tell you that little girl is a trooper and is soooo much fun to hunt with. She did so awesome and she wears that smile all day. I had so much fun. Sully is an awesome dude too, he kept me laughing all weekend. That dude is a hellava swimmer too. Our Lake is about 35 acres and he can swim out to the middle and back before you can blink.

Reactions: BWH
Thank you all for the very kind words. I’ve been blessed with a great Family. We all have our weaknesses, abilities & inabilities. Nevertheless, I won’t trade. I do look forward to experiencing more opportunities with her/them, whatever they are up for. I can tell you this, oddly I am caring less about my next hunt/s, just thinking about hers.

Cheers guys.... & girls!

Too awesome!

We're taking our 12 year old daughter out on her first hunt (as an observer) in 2 weeks for the last weekend of turkey season.. she is just starting to show a little interest... I'm hopeful she takes to it and asks to go on more hunts as the year progresses..

I've gotta say, I'm a bit envious of you being able to experience that black hawaiian with your 10 year old little girl.. that had to be a wonderful couple of hours spent..

Congrats on the family adventure and thanks for sharing!

Congratulations to an awesome family trip.
Well Done!

//Gus

I can tell you this, oddly I am caring less about my next hunt/s, just thinking about hers.

Cheers guys.... & girls!
Not at all brother, It’s the natural progression of things.

Too awesome!

We're taking our 12 year old daughter out on her first hunt (as an observer) in 2 weeks for the last weekend of turkey season.. she is just starting to show a little interest... I'm hopeful she takes to it and asks to go on more hunts as the year progresses..

I've gotta say, I'm a bit envious of you being able to experience that black hawaiian with your 10 year old little girl.. that had to be a wonderful couple of hours spent..

I’m in no way in a place to give quality advice.... as I’m a regular joe average in about every respect. I will say this.... you make the kid, the mom, etc comfortable & casual.... stress/anxiety level down. Enjoyment level up.... Vacay mode, no pressure.... man that can make all the difference, especially with wives/kids....

Slumming in a tent not seeing anything, can sour them.

Kinda like fishing.... I took them out early summer, on Texoma.... during the Striper frenzy.... they love fishing (catching). Otherwise, might have never “caught” them.

That’s just my 2 cents.... different for everyone. Hell my grandad used to dump me in the woods & say there was a one armed black dude on the loose.

I guess something makes us stay.... something repels.....

Best of luck to you!

You sir are a GOOD DAD! Congrats on the trip.

Very Cool @BWH. Thank You for Sharing! The Rockin G is a pretty cool place.:)
You gonna shoulder mount the ram for her @gizmo???.:whistle:

Very Cool @BWH. Thank You for Sharing! The Rockin G is a pretty cool place.:)
You gonna shoulder mount the ram for her @gizmo???.:whistle:
Yes I am. Pretty special deal for a pretty special girl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeonardMrh

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!