TSA Behavior, Destructiveness and Airline Difficulty

It’s funny that all us hunters put non-TSA locks on our cases because that is what the broad majority of sources say to do.
However, the following is straight off United’s web site under special baggage, Firearms. Notice the last sentence of the middle paragraph. WTH!
Image1620691401.780461.jpg

But since the owner of the firearm will be present when it is inspected it really doesn't matter.

Bolt - In the rifle or out?

If out, where (in the gun case) do you put it?

Bolt - In the rifle or out?

If out, where (in the gun case) do you put it?
Out, in a sock or bolt holster in the gun case. Prohibited in carry on. A bolt in a gun is not safe. Think not? Go to a rifle match where the bolt is not put in the rifle until on the bench at the firing line with the rifle on the rest pointing downrange.

But since the owner of the firearm will be present when it is inspected it really doesn't matter.
Not in Philadelphia, PA.

It’s funny that all us hunters put non-TSA locks on our cases because that is what the broad majority of sources say to do.
However, the following is straight off United’s web site under special baggage, Firearms. Notice the last sentence of the middle paragraph. WTH!
View attachment 401251
That's because they have the keys necessary to open TSA locks.

Win M 70-Montana '99 bolt rifle in Pelican. Poor man's take down. Copy of 4457, passport ID page and itinerary included. Note the TSA inspection notification on the left indicating they looked :)

Bolt is out and Velcro strapped down in slot.

Pelican case 2.JPG

I use a chamber flag.

IMG_20210511_081356473.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing reading this thread does for me planning my first safari is to cause me to seriously question whether it is worth it to take my rifle or not. I’ve already decided not to take two as I originally planned. Looks like traveling with a rifle just adds a whole lot of stress to the trip. A neighbor of mine years ago bought a new rifle just for his safari and spent a year developing loads and practicing with it to have it show up in time to fly back with him.
I had a Highland stag hunt planned for Scotland which got flushed with COVID and I had already decided to rent an estate rifle for that because of hassle.
I recently went to get my 4457 form signed and stamped which required a day off from work and the woman who did it was rude. You’d thought I’d asked her to get a bucket and bail out the septic tank rather than sign her name.
Getting just me and my carry on there looks better all the time.

Last edited:
I've always used non-TSA locks on my rifle case and TSA locks on my ammo case. At least after the first time in 2017 having non-TSA locks cut off my ammo case to Africa.

I've never put other stuff in my rifle case - just rifles and shooting sticks. Unless they are internal US flights, when you can have some ammo locked in your rifle case. Always within guidelines.

I've always been exceedingly pleasant to CBP and TSA agents and airline personnel. I know the airline doesn't need a copy of my import permit from SAPS but I've always paid to get one in advance and provided the airlines with a copy when asked - I've never pushed back. My contact details including my mobile number are always on the outside of my rifle case and inside my checked bags. If anyone needs to reach me I'm easily accessible.

You just never know what you are going to get these days. The rules you read on the airline and TSA websites frequently aren't followed. It's very frustrating and even more so when they maliciously damage my property.

I always have the bolts out - either in their specially cut out spot in my Pelican or in little bolt coozies inside the soft case with the rifle in my Tuffpak.

The only thing reading this thread does for me planning my first safari is to cause me to seriously question whether it is worth it to take my rifle or not. I’ve already decided not to take two as I originally planned. Looks like traveling with a rifle just adds a whole lot of stress to the trip. A neighbor of mine years ago bought a new rifle just for his safari and spent a year developing loads and practicing with it to have it show up in time to fly back with him.
I had a Highland stag hunt planned for Scotland which got flushed with COVID and I had already decided to rent an estate rifle for that because of hassle.
I recently went to get my 4457 form signed and stamped which required a day off from work and the woman who did it was rude. You’d thought I’d asked her to get a bucket and bail out the septic tank rather than sign her name.
Getting me and I carry on there looks better all the time.
Don't be discouraged. For every horror story, there's hundreds if not thousands of hunters taking their personal firearms without a hitch.

This is increasingly where I'm headed. As much as I love my rifles, traveling with them is becoming an enormous hassle. It feels like "quitting" to stop traveling with them but I'm headed on vacation after all - why would I add stress when the goal is to remove it?

+1

This is increasingly where I'm headed. As much as I love my rifles, traveling with them is becoming an enormous hassle. It feels like "quitting" to stop traveling with them but I'm headed on vacation after all - why would I add stress when the goal is to remove it?
+1

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing reading this thread does for me planning my first safari is to cause me to seriously question whether it is worth it to take my rifle or not. I’ve already decided not to take two as I originally planned. ...

Seeing that the title is descriptive of negative experiences people will pile on with negative information on the thread.

For each negative experience with traveling with firearms I am sure there are countless positive experiences, but not as sensational.

If you are taking one, taking two does not add any more hassle except weight. Now, does taking a firearm with you cost a bit of time and money? The answer is yes, especially in South Africa where one would better pay an outfit to help you clear the firearms rather than do it themselves. There are also some countries (see firearm procedures by country thread) that charge you for your firearm and ammo in order to bring it in.

I prefer to control as much of the hunt as I can, the firearms is one aspect I definitely can. There is no question in regards to reliability of the firearm or the ammo which might have been left over by previous hunters and be sitting around for years.

At the end of the day the answer is up to you. Does having your own firearm enhance your memories back home when you are looking at that firearm, recalling the moment of the hunt?

For the members here who have been to Africa hunting and travelling with their firearms several/many times, it seems pretty much repetitious, easy and stress free. But for those of us, like myself, who haven't hunted in Africa yet, and/or haven't travelled with firearms, it can seem daunting. Vintageguy has to take a day off from work to get a form signed? Really? Look at the time spent on this thread just talking about which locks to put on your gun case! I personally have to work and don't know when I would have the time for this part of the "adventure", let alone the apparently endless hours to rebook cancelled flights and all the Covid testing nonsense. I would really like to hunt In Africa someday, but over the last few months reading about all the "fun" involved in planning a trip to Africa, I'm having second thoughts on the whole thing? I'm sure I'm probably "overthinking" it, but it doesn't feel like it?

I suspect a lot of the concern being raised also reflects experience with international travel in general. Between a military and corporate career, I was a 100k United customer for years, much of that logged into some of the real out of the way corners of the world. I know a number of other fellow members of our forum who travel a lot with their firearms also have broad experience with international business related travel or years living abroad. The paperwork and management of a firearm is simply another thing on the checklist.

That said, it is indeed becoming more difficult, and I am certain it will be more complicated every year. I now rarely carry a firearm to Europe unless I am participating in a driven bird or pigeon shoot where a gun of perfect personal fit is critical. I should also note, those European trips usually include my spouse and a couple of weeks playing tourist before or after the actual hunt or shoot. A firearm would complicate that a lot.

But Africa? As long as it remains legal, one of my rifles will accompany me. Owning and actually using such rifles is as important to me as the actual hunt. Simply owning them to take to the range would be far less interesting.

For the members here who have been to Africa hunting and travelling with their firearms several/many times, it seems pretty much repetitious, easy and stress free. But for those of us, like myself, who haven't hunted in Africa yet, and/or haven't travelled with firearms, it can seem daunting. Vintageguy has to take a day off from work to get a form signed? Really? Look at the time spent on this thread just talking about which locks to put on your gun case! I personally have to work and don't know when I would have the time for this part of the "adventure", let alone the apparently endless hours to rebook cancelled flights and all the Covid testing nonsense. I would really like to hunt In Africa someday, but over the last few months reading about all the "fun" involved in planning a trip to Africa, I'm having second thoughts on the whole thing? I'm sure I'm probably "overthinking" it, but it doesn't feel like it?
Na, its worth it. I dont believe its really any different than having an issue at the supermarket when the computer is down or at the bank, waiting in line for a small business guy to change coins.
The dmv can be discouraging, but in the end those people will still give you the answers.
You will be sooo enthusiastic about your trip, it wont matter much.

I suspect a lot of the concern being raised also reflects experience with international travel in general. Between a military and corporate career, I was a 100k United customer for years, much of that logged into some of the real out of the way corners of the world. I know a number of other fellow members of our forum who travel a lot with their firearms also have broad experience with international business related travel or years living abroad. The paperwork and management of a firearm is simply another thing on the checklist.

That said, it is indeed becoming more difficult, and I am certain it will be more complicated every year. I now rarely carry a firearm to Europe unless I am participating in a driven bird or pigeon shoot where a gun of perfect personal fit is critical. I should also note, those European trips usually include my spouse and a couple of weeks playing tourist before or after the actual hunt or shoot. A firearm would complicate that a lot.

But Africa? As long as it remains legal, one of my rifles will accompany me. Owning and actually using such rifles is as important to me as the actual hunt. Simply owning them to take to the range would be far less interesting.
"Owning and actually using such rifles is as important to me as the actual hunt". +1!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg