TSA Behavior, Destructiveness and Airline Difficulty

jpr9954

AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.onlygunsandmoney.com
Member of
NRA, SAF, SCI
The funny thing is how her accent changes when she gets mad. She grew up as a military brat, spent alot of years in England.
She has a small accent. But when mad it comes out bold and proper.
As soon as i heard her say, your an idiot, i knew they done set her off. H

I like your wife!

I have heard many suggestions to leave your phone at home and just rent one at your destination. I don't know if that is possible in Africa but I have heard you can do it if going to Europe. Another option is to get one of those pre-paid burner phones that you don't care if you lose or not.

JimP

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
I learned a very long time ago that you don't want to tick off a person in authority that has the capability to make your life a living hell for a time. It is yes sir, no sir, and I don't know sir. If they want to look at something let them look at it.

But then I have nothing to hide that would cause me any problems.

Ike85123

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
None
I learned a very long time ago that you don't want to tick off a person in authority that has the capability to make your life a living hell for a time. It is yes sir, no sir, and I don't know sir. If they want to look at something let them look at it.

But then I have nothing to hide that would cause me any problems.
The other group of 3 was troopers from new mexico. I heard them being very vocal in the next room. I think it was a bad day for everyone.

Ike85123

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
None
My last trip was in 2014. But it was the only problem ive ever had in over 30 trips to rsa, half with firearms. I never had a lock cut or had luggage lost.
Ive been out of the game, going on 8yrs shortly. Will be interesting to see how the next trip goes.

shootist~

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
Hunted
USA, Mexico
Back to the U.S. Customs office today to get the 4457 with missing forms expiration date (from last week's disaster) replaced. Had my correct downloaded and typed form ready to go.

Short story shorter, had a great/helpful agent, pleasant experience, and out the door in < 10 minutes.

Vintageguy

AH senior member
Reaction score
Booked my flights one day through Newark on United with 4 1/2 layover on return and the very next day got rescheduled with either a 2 1/2 hr layover or almost 9 hr. Concerned that 2.5 hrs with a terminal change and returning through customs isn't enough time. Leaning hard toward just renting a rifle there, GIANT PIA.

Tanks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Booked my flights one day through Newark on United with 4 1/2 layover on return and the very next day got rescheduled with either a 2 1/2 hr layover or almost 9 hr. Concerned that 2.5 hrs with a terminal change and returning through customs isn't enough time. Leaning hard toward just renting a rifle there, GIANT PIA.
I have gone through Atlanta with less time and guns made it through. Guns inspected in one line, then shoes sprayed in another and finally TSA chem check.

PARA45

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa, Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
GA is a gun friendly state, not so much with NJ. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Tanks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
It shouldn't, TSA and CBP are Federal entities. No local laws are applicable for weapons in transit. Now, Newark is a horrible airport compared to Atlanta, so efficiency might be an issue. I'd be more concerned about that.

Also, for years Atlanta was/is the take-off point for hunters to Africa. CBP built a glass room where all firearms come in with CBP officers solely responsible to clear firearms in that room, so very efficient. Don't know if one has to go through the regular customs inspection line at Newark with hundreds of other people coming from all over the world and hitting the inspection lottery.

Still 2.5 hours should be enough.

Dee S

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Nimrod Rifle Club, DSC, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Texas, Wyoming, Kansas, Alaska, Namibia, Botswana
we came back through Chicago yesterday, had a three hour layover, on our way back from South Africa. When we got to Immigration, there were three people manning the lines. When we got in line, we were probably in the three hundred mark. It took us over two hours to clear. By the time we cleared, there were now four lines open and probably five hundred in line. Luckily for us, they pushed our departure time back because of it and we made our flight. No telling how many flights were delayed due the backlog? And they were in no hurry to speed up, just one speed.

Tanks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
we came back through Chicago yesterday, had a three hour layover, on our way back from South Africa. When we got to Immigration, there were three people manning the lines. When we got in line, we were probably in the three hundred mark. It took us over two hours to clear. ...

Two words, "Global Entry"

Vanguard2279

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, SCI Life
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Northwest & Eastern Cape), Namibia, Nevada, Newfoundland, Zambia
Interestingly, this thread took off more than I had realized.
I am never rude to TSA or Customs. I don't think any of the vandalism has happened by people that I've interacted with. Having said that, IAD is my least favorite airport to go through when returning to the US. I find the Customs people rude.
To clarify, no plastic ammo box is that hard to breach. I chose to use TSA locks that accept TSA keys to keep them from cutting the locks and snipping the hasp as well. Snipping the hasp and rendering the box useless for further trips is the vindictive and malicious part of this.
I remove the bolt from my rifle and place it in a slot cut into the foam. I then use a cable lock on the rifle.
You are not present at LAS when they inspect your rifle. They have never asked to open my handgun case. I've been present for it to be opened pretty much everywhere else.
I do not use TSA locks on my rifle case. I bought some, but had questions about their durability.
In the past, I have worried about my ammo being taken from my suitcase and misplaced. On my trip with Western Safaris in May, I took my .338-06. It was a leap of faith for me. The ammo arrived safely.
My ammo box was unmolested/undamaged upon my return to Vegas after the hunt. The only odd thing that happened was that a clean long-sleeved light green Columbia shirt was taken out of my suitcase. If anybody came home with one, let me know.
In the end, I suspect that there is a lack of accountability for needless destruction or tolerance of TSA arbitrarily "teaching people a lesson".
I will continue to bring my own rifles on safari. I like them too much to leave them behind.

JimP

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
You also have to remember that once out of the US TSA has nothing to do with your luggage.

And I doubt that foreign countries security has the keys for the TSA locks.

Vanguard2279

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, SCI Life
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Northwest & Eastern Cape), Namibia, Nevada, Newfoundland, Zambia
I know. I don't do it for other countries. I do it to avoid arbitrary damage in this country.

Vanguard2279

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, SCI Life
Hunted
Has anyone taken the Newark-Johannesburg United flight? Any issues?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IPIJannett

Latest profile posts

eballo wrote on doubleboy's profile.
Is the Parker still for sale?
hunt 65 wrote on Bullthrower338's profile.
You ever sell the Hyme 458 Lott?
Bob Nelson 35Whelen wrote on jwp475's profile.
@jwp475
If you need help with your Whelen loads please PM me
Bob
xausa wrote on Challer's profile.
I don't know where you're located, but I'd be happy to let you try out my Krieghoff. I'm located in West Tennessee and the local gun club has a skeet layout and is located not far from my farm. We're about five miles from the Kentucky state line and about 100 miles west of Nashville.
I just joined today, I live in Louisiana. I joined mostly because of all of the 35 Whelen discussion as I am now very interested In the 35 Whelen. I have an 1885 Highwall that J.E.S.S. rebored to 35 Whelen

Also own 338s 375 and both a 416 rem and Rigby