Trophy Shipping Costs

Chago

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
So I have finally completed one full safari. And when I say "full", I mean I have completed the hunt. I had the trophies mounted. And I imported them home. So I finally have my total cost...... not impressed with all of the costs I incurred back in Canada.

I shot a kudu, gemsbok, sable, blue wildebeast, impala, nyala, zebra and a blesbok. All were shoulder mounted. Mounting fees I was prepared for. I saw the price lists before going etc. But the shipping, brokerage, taxes, storage fees etc just got crazy. Now ignoring all mounting costs Africa vs Canada or USA. I just want to specifically talk about the shipping fees. And do a comparison from those who have done it more than once.

With the above list, I paid $2100 for shipping to Toronto. I got nailed with $600 for storage fees by the warehouse company because the government decided they wanted to inspect my crate. And of course during the holidays when they don't actually work at all. So I paid for like a week of storage. Brokerage was about $600. Then my duties coming into Canada was another $500. I have converted these all to USD so you guys don't think I am talking about Maple Syrup money lol. So a grand total of $3800USD. That sucks.....

I have a trip upcoming now in May and am deciding what I would want to do this time. And I have a few questions.

1.) Realistically the brokerage fee does not change correct? That one seems like a fixed cost I don't believe it is based on dollar value of the shipment. I could be wrong.

2.) Taxes were based off the cost of the taxidermy. So if I decided to bring the trophies home as dip and pack this time. Would the taxes be off of that or will they go off of the hunt value?

3.) Those of you who have done euros or dip and pack. Does the shipping really change dramatically? I get the crate is smaller without the actual heads. But does $2000, turn into $1500? What are we talking about here?

I am just weighing all my options here. I would like my local guy to do my work this time. But if it is essentially going to cost me $3800 again to ship it dip and packed. Then pay the mounting anyways.... it seems like it isn't worth it. And my list this year will be similar in size of animals and number. So assuming all is equal on that part.

Thanks

Brokerage fees have been the same for my three safaris. First two shipping was substantially higher because shipping is based on volume—mounted trophies take up more volume than skins and skulls. My shipping for third safari was roughly half because I’m having them mounted state side (and approximately the same number of animals on each Trip as well).

I got a rough shipping quote ahead of time for my 2021 safari in rsa based on 3 euros on shields and a zebra hide.
Quoted to denver but not even sure that's possible.
Anyway full quote was $1700
That included crating and everything

You will have to get used to this, I am afraid. Take a bunch of photos and leave the animals there. I have reluctantly come to that decision, as I am no longer willing to pay more for the taxidermy and shipping than I did for the hunt.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Bendover Shipping, Inc. They pretty much control worldwide shipping for those that can afford an African safari. One has to be careful about shipping around the holidays, especially Christmas and the Fourth of July in the U.S. Having said that, your shipping cost minus the add on fees, for all of those animals, actually sounds cheap.

Jeffro, I'm with you. Take photos, eat the backstraps and leave the animals.

I have a trip upcoming now in May and am deciding what I would want to do this time. And I have a few questions.

1.) Realistically the brokerage fee does not change correct? That one seems like a fixed cost I don't believe it is based on dollar value of the shipment. I could be wrong.

2.) Taxes were based off the cost of the taxidermy. So if I decided to bring the trophies home as dip and pack this time. Would the taxes be off of that or will they go off of the hunt value?

3.) Those of you who have done euros or dip and pack. Does the shipping really change dramatically? I get the crate is smaller without the actual heads. But does $2000, turn into $1500? What are we talking about here?

I am just weighing all my options here. I would like my local guy to do my work this time. But if it is essentially going to cost me $3800 again to ship it dip and packed. Then pay the mounting anyways.... it seems like it isn't worth it. And my list this year will be similar in size of animals and number. So assuming all is equal on that part.

Thanks

1. Timing is everything in shipping. Make sure it never comes in on a holiday, if you can.
  2. There will always be a CFIA inspection, no matter what you bring in. The fee is the same.
  3. Brokerage fees tend to be the same for an individual shipment. Paper shuffling.
  4. GST is going to be charged on the invoice that arrives with the shipment. (Sadly, Zimbabwe throws the entire hunt cost on the shipping documents and the enterprising local Customs man just love to collect on that amount. (I have declared values for the items that are arriving based on market value. I did not make any friends that day with the local enterprising agents.)
  5. The added charge for a dip and pack shipment coming into Canada will be the requirement to have an CFIA "approved facility" pick it up. If your local guy is not "the approved guy" you will be charged about $100.00 per trophy to process it by an "approved guy" and any other shipping charges. This will be required even though the shipment is properly processed on the other end and is clean. (duplication of costs).
  6. Shipment costs: paper work is about the same, the only change is volumetric weight if your crate is much different in size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg