Trophy pick up day!! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
So this is just pure magic right? After 10 months of waiting for our measly 6 skull and horns, one tanned skin and one gnu tail to get here, I have made an appointment with our wonderful Fish and Wildlife cops near SeaTac airport to clear my little chicken box of parts now (still) residing at Delta Cargo. So off me and the boy go early this morning as its a 4 hour round trip to SeaTac from home. Get there in plenty of time, :cool:first to Delta, out of there in 5 minutes with my paperwork and down the road a mile to FWS. The gal I talked to on the phone met us at the door and asked for ID?!!? :confused: I told her yeah, I like talked to you on the phone like yesterday, right? No matter, ID. OK, fine. Start filling out the animal form, now two gals both speaking in whispers that my boy with normal hearing could barely hear so guess what that means for me being deaf in one ear and cant hear out of the other?? :Walkingdead:Not going well. They started asking my boy about the trip and then they come out with. "Wait, you were there too, who was shooting on this trip, both or just one of you?" Not wanting to lie to a Federal agent, I said well we both did, but I only had one, the boy had the rest.. Oh well now that's a problem,:( so now we will have to have you both fill out this form. OK, no problem. Then going thru the paper work, all that I had. They asked several times, "Where is the ZAPHR?" :whistle: The who're says I? The ZAPHR again. Beats me says I,:rolleyes: you have all the papers sent by email or with the shipment. A huddle ensues between my now not so friendly gals (as it looks like they really have something on me now:eek:), and their apparent boss in his office. Upshot is this, no ZAPHR no trophies! :mad: Plus they want pictures emailed to them of our animals with us in the pics so they can match the critter pix to the trophy paperwork, I guess!:eek: So now with daily fees being added to my box at Delta, I have emailed my outfitter in SA and hope he is not too busy hunting to send this form to FWS and hopefully it will be all they need and can soon clear this for me. What a nightmare! Plus I will have to do the same thing all over again! So fellas I am a slow learner, but this will do it for me. If and I say IF I eventually get my stuff without being arrested for whopping someone upside the head during this stupid process, I am done with self clearing my shipments. They are getting way too nit picky about stuff. I figure this extra scrutiny is all tied in with the extra export of rifles stuff. We have in this administration a very unfriendly bunch towards hunting and guns and they will leave no stone unturned to try to make things painful for us. This is the last time. Next time I turn the whole thing over to the pros and sit home and wait for the phone to ring. I'M DONE!

If for some reason or reasons that I cannot satisfy their demands I plan to tell them to please take possession of the shipment and burn it (if I cant have it) so at least Delta wont keep adding to the fee pile. I will have to pay them regardless when this is done but I don't want to get burned too badly. So if it sounds like a not so great day here, yeah it pretty much sucks!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

:W Rockets: This is what my ZAPHR looks like!

My other one looks like SSI

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya gotta love the bureaucrats right??;) It used to be relatively easy to do. It might still have been were it not for lack of a ZAPHR!!

Oh I hate it when I lose my ZAPHR!!! .......sorry Ses, just couldn't help the Friday afternoon sarcasm. I wouldn't know a ZAPHR from my earhole. Hope it gets straightened out soon and you get your trophies.

Its the South African Professional Hunters Registry. I am assuming they want to verify a legitimate hunter? As long as my PH doesn't reply with the same answer:eek:, we should be good!

There is no possibility of export without the register being present to apply for the export permit from the country if origin.

Someone is being a dick head.

Sorry for your headache.

That is not a short drive and it looks like they are making it worth while to have the pros do it.

Now way I would do this on my own! Laura at D&L CHB out of Chicago has taken care of all the issues last year and this year. Have mercy on us poor citizens that have to deal with the US Government.

Note to self....call SSI on Monday!

Sorry to hear about the bs your going through. Everyone it seems likes to show what power they have any more to mess with us hunters.

I fell bad for you. I used D&L a few years ago and it went smoothly. I am using them again for my New Zealand trophies. Those should be coming across in the next month or so. Hopefully it will go just as smoothly again. It's worth the extra for me so that I don't have to hassle with it.

Ugh....

This is why I'd be scared to even try and self clear. Man, I'm sorry for you!!!

Good luck with the ZAPHR thingie.... Glad someone knew what it was. I think...

Even when you use a service. The service is not in any big hurry to get it done and save you daily storage fees when the gov starts stalling. I ended up paying for 3-4 extra days on mine.

One big question: You are worried about being honest with a gov that is as dishonest, two faced that does so many illegal things to you. And you are concerned about being 100% honest and legal??

Thanks for all the thoughts.
Divernhunter, yes I am worried about lying to a Federal agent. Difference is they have the power to incarcerate me, I have no such authority.

CAustin, I have done this 4 times and this is the first time I have had any issues. The gal that used to be there that handled my stuff before was very helpful to me, not overly friendly but helpful and now she is down the road somewhere. In fact today when these two gals started laying paperwork on me I mentioned that "Marcy" did it for me last time and one said, "well, Marcy isn't here anymore". Right then I thought uh oh.

Tarbe, I think it may be a bit late to call SSI. My hope is that it is all taken care of by Monday and hopefully run down Tuesday or Wednesday and try it again.

Give Rosella or Tara a call at SSI. From what I have heard from shippers and my dip and pack company in SA SSI turns into pit bulls to help their clients. It may never be too late to at least talk to them.

As a last resort I may seek help from outside. Would prefer to not do that especially at this stage of the deal. To just ask someone to come in try to save the day without me trying my best to resolve it just doesn't sit right with me. I think it all depends now on getting the ZAPHR thing done and then it SHOULD be good to go. I will post back as things progress.

I understand your point of view

I used Coppersmith out of Chicago just a few weeks ago. Fantastic communication with Michael Lewis, and seamless transaction. They handled everything from the time it left Joberg to my front door. Service fee of less than $400.00. Peace of mind and no sweat, well worth it.

Its not that I don't understand that there are good brokers out there, but I have done this several times before with no problems. Now all of a sudden and again, I think much has to do with the current monarchy's belief system, the various departments are getting really picky about the little details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IrmaTobias

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.