I had a little bit of a cluster f*ck moment with the Delta ticket counter. The lady (very nice by the way) informed me that my pelican case needed two additional locks, because there were two empty slots on my gun case. I had to go around all over the airport dragging my gun case looking for a store that had locks. I had to deal with rude store employees, and then a plastic container where the locks were that I couldn't open without the help of a knife, which no one has one at the airport. Luckily one lady at a store had a box opener, and that worked. Once I had four locks on my case, everything else went smooth. So, if your gun case has holes for 4, 5, 6, 7 or whatever number of locks, don't be surprise if the ticket agent ask you put one in each hole. :ROFLMAO:
TSA requires a lock for each hole now, you could cut a couple of the holes off the case that is what Phillip did and so did I no problems as TSA does not know how many locks are required on a case so they count the holes

Damn!!!’
You guys throw around $3500-$5500 like it’s nothing for a friggin plain ticket.
I just can’t see the value in that.
I can cattle car a long damn time before I think $4k a plain ticket is a deal.
Your're not alone!

@Philip Glass I am about to take off in 9 days via Qatar traveling business. @TRAVEL EXPRESS already submitted my firearms paperwork. However, my understanding is that at every leg of travel one has to provide the paperwork and form 4457 for firearms. In my case LAX to Harare, Harare to Lusaka and finally Lusaka to LAX. So, do I really need to do that at every check-in for Qatar even though they already have all the information? For Emirates I signed the paperwork at LAX and that was it last year. No paperwork for the flight from Harare to LAX.

Damn!!!’
You guys throw around $3500-$5500 like it’s nothing for a friggin plain ticket.
I just can’t see the value in that.
I can cattle car a long damn time before I think $4k a plain ticket is a deal.
Well, most of us use miles ;)
Also, wait until one has to pay $3500-5500 for charter flights to hunting areas. No miles to use for those. :ROFLMAO:

I had a little bit of a cluster f*ck moment with the Delta ticket counter. The lady (very nice by the way) informed me that my pelican case needed two additional locks, because there were two empty slots on my gun case. I had to go around all over the airport dragging my gun case looking for a store that had locks. I had to deal with rude store employees, and then a plastic container where the locks were that I couldn't open without the help of a knife, which no one has one at the airport. Luckily one lady at a store had a box opener, and that worked. Once I had four locks on my case, everything else went smooth. So, if your gun case has holes for 4, 5, 6, 7 or whatever number of locks, don't be surprise if the ticket agent ask you put one in each hole. :ROFLMAO:
I have the 1700 "take down" size Pelican. I always treat my bolt rifles like take down arms... stock + barreled action. Have done that since my first air travel with a rifle in the mid 70s. The Pelican 1700 has two lock holes. Another benefit of the smaller case. :)

@Philip Glass I am about to take off in 9 days via Qatar traveling business. @TRAVEL EXPRESS already submitted my firearms paperwork. However, my understanding is that at every leg of travel one has to provide the paperwork and form 4457 for firearms. In my case LAX to Harare, Harare to Lusaka and finally Lusaka to LAX. So, do I really need to do that at every check-in for Qatar even though they already have all the information? For Emirates I signed the paperwork at LAX and that was it last year. No paperwork for the flight from Harare to LAX.
On my flights with Qatar last month with Phillip we only had the firearm paperwork with Qatar at the first checkin.

This was from Dallas on Qatar to Doha and on to Joberg, two flights on Qatar. The paperwork was turned in at their ticket desk NOT the gate.

Same with out return. Checked in at Qatar in Joberg with paperwork and then flew to Doha and then to Dallas with only turning in the paperwork at the beginning of the first flight with Qatar.

Have flown Qatar twice…only one checking of firearms at originating airport if your flight is connecting with Qatar or sister airline.

The QR Firearms Declaration form you turn in at ticket counter states it must be signed by a Qatar employee. @TRAVEL EXPRESS had me recheck gun case (only) with Qatar after the AA (ABQ to DFW) leg - only. July 2021, in route to JNB.

Yep… same here…

We took a group over last year.. and are taking another group over this year.. and are already in the planning phase for a group next year…

I know what works for me and what I like to have/use for travel and for the hunt.. but am always looking for other options for group members that might be in a different income bracket, or might have different tastes/preferences.. AH has been a great place to see what others are using, what’s worked for them, etc…

B&O has a newer model currently out.

I have the 1700 "take down" size Pelican. I always treat my bolt rifles like take down arms... stock + barreled action. Have done that since my first air travel with a rifle in the mid 70s. The Pelican 1700 has two lock holes. Another benefit of the smaller case. :)
Must be a much older version. Mine has four lock holes, so I use four locks.

Don’t mean to poke the bee’s nest here, and every case is different. After reading through this thread I get the impression that it’s easiest to stay with one airline all the way through. Sure, you may have to drive to a suitable airport and/or pay a ticket premium but as was hinted at earlier, what is your time worth?
When I go, it’s going to be Delta business/first likely out of Atlanta or Nashville. We all have a budget and it’s up to you to decide where you want to invest in the trip and one shouldn’t be ashamed of it good or bad. We’re investing in an experience only a small percentage of the world population has the eagerness to do.

Don’t mean to poke the bee’s nest here, and every case is different. After reading through this thread I get the impression that it’s easiest to stay with one airline all the way through. Sure, you may have to drive to a suitable airport and/or pay a ticket premium but as was hinted at earlier, what is your time worth?
When I go, it’s going to be Delta business/first likely out of Atlanta or Nashville. We all have a budget and it’s up to you to decide where you want to invest in the trip and one shouldn’t be ashamed of it good or bad. We’re investing in an experience only a small percentage of the world population has the eagerness to do.

I would drive to ATL, all things being equal.

No you just need the Qatar declaration filled out for each original departure. Take extra copies however because these days you never know. I am getting ready for an August departure on Qatar myself. Have a great trip!

No you just need the Qatar declaration filled out for each original departure. Take extra copies however because these days you never know. I am getting ready for an August departure on Qatar myself. Have a great trip!
I wasn't clear as my Harare to Lusaka is a separate trip. I am staying in Zambia for 10 days for another hunting trip after Zim. So, 3 separate departures all together. Still answers my question though.

Must be a much older version. Mine has four lock holes, so I use four locks.
Don’t know about older version but my 1700 is ca 2009-10. Just looked on Pelican’s website, posted pic below of their current 1700 and it has 2 lock holes- that’s all I count.
C8A53E74-55B3-42CA-86C2-247517E29853.jpeg

Here's my 1700 Pelican from 2009-10

pelican 1700.png

Pelican case 2.JPG

Last edited:
Don't know. The interior long dimension on my 1700 and that currently listed is 35 3/4". The currently listed 1700 seems to have changed very little over the past 10-12 years or longer. Wonder what your 4 hole really is? Could it be a short/special run, recent mold of the 1700 with 4 holes? Odd...

The only other possibility I can think of is the 1700 pic on their website has not been updated and their current 1700 does have 4 holes???

Thats really interesting..

The Pelican website shows the 1700 to only have 2 lock holes..

At first I thought maybe @Tanks case might be a Pelican Storm.. but the latches in his pic are clearly traditional pelican latches.. the Storm cases have a push/pull latch system that is different.. and after checking the Storm variant online, it only has 2 lock holes as well..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 9.52.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 9.52.56 AM.png
    846.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 9.53.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 9.53.01 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 50

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.