are those TSA locks? the current info from TSA says do not use TSA locks they want you to have the only way in. fyi
They are NOT TSA locks. If you look at the pic you can see two sides of the locks on the left two locks (they all are identical), no TSA symbol.

They are NOT TSA locks. If you look at the pic you can see two sides of the locks on the left two locks (they all are identical), no TSA symbol.
pardon me, the picture on my screen was not very clear and would not enlarge

Used a pelican Vault. Single rifle . Two locks. 4 holes. Never an issue.

you will now have to have a lock for every hole on your gun case per TSA rules and they suggest using locks other than TSA locks so you are the only one that can open it. good luck

Just travelled thru ORD and returned thru Newark in March with only two lock, no issues, and have been making a trip or two every year. Never questioned on the two locks. I remember some issues with anyone using the cheap Plano flimsy cases needing 4 locks since they were so easy to pry open on the areas without locks. I always carry spare locks in my carry on anyway, in case they needed…those extra locks show on the x ray thru carryon and on many occasions TSA wants to examine. If you want to see a reaction put a scope in your carry on and watch the results from anti gun TSA in Newark.

Back last month from RSA and the skinny from U.S. travel agents and people at Tambo is if you're flying with firearms, fly United. Everyone's MMV.

Don’t know about older version but my 1700 is ca 2009-10. Just looked on Pelican’s website, posted pic below of their current 1700 and it has 2 lock holes- that’s all I count.
View attachment 476562
Mine is 10 yesrs old and had four lock holes. I cut off the two all plastic ones! No way am I traveling with four locks plus four spares!

are those TSA locks? the current info from TSA says do not use TSA locks they want you to have the only way in. fyi
Incorrect. That is a misinterpretation that is often repeated. I only use heavy duty Snap Safe TSA locks for my rifle case.

Back last month from RSA and the skinny from U.S. travel agents and people at Tambo is if you're flying with firearms, fly United. Everyone's MMV.
Interesting.

That is against TSA rules. No doubt there are ticket agents that dont know the rules

Incorrect. That is a misinterpretation that is often repeated. I only use heavy duty Snap Safe TSA locks for my rifle case.

Agree. The regs are somewhat ambiguous in that only the passenger is supposed to have the key to the lock but TSA agents have keys for TSA locks. Typical government doublespeak.

From the TSA website: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks

You can use whatever lock you want.

From the TSA website.
  • Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.

That is against TSA rules. No doubt there are ticket agents that dont know the rules
Have never noted in TSA regulations that states anything other than ….must be locked…no mention of how many locks. I have cleared thru Newark TSA and ORD TSA with their thorough from top to bottom inspecting every item in the case and removing the foam padding, with never a concern that there were only two locks, tho there were four locations… nine trips and never a concern.

in April Newark Customs only looked at my serial number and nothing then chewed me out because the bolt was closed and they said state law requires it to be open or out of the rifle but other than that no issues

If in a long line, needing to make a flight along with a bunch of other people behind you, what future is there in arguing with an agent about filling all the holes… 2 locks or 4 locks? Two days ago in a cluster (flop) snake check-in line I watched a hunter trying to check a 4 hole gun case using 2 locks. Next scene was some odd discussion between the group of hunters and the airline agent. Next scene the hunter pulled two more locks out of his or his buddy’s carry on and filled the extra holes. Pointless exercise. Simple solution- if 2 holes use 2 locks, if 4 holes use 4 locks. Different airlines, different countries, different agents… all will likely have different rules- maybe a different one day to the next. The last thing I need (or anyone needs) while traveling is another hassle or delay- especially an avoidable one caused by some “Boy Scout” playing the, “well the rules say” game.

Same holds true when I’ve seen US hunters returning to US having hassles caused by disorganized gun cases that are hard to inspect. The last thing I need at this point in a trip, especially if tired, after a long flight that had been delayed and running up against s tight connecting flight! CARP! Recommendation - use some common sense when choosing, arranging and packing a gun case for such travel. Make it easy for the TSA agent to open and inspect the gun, including its serial number. Do this enough and you we see all manner of bonehead stupid decisions and behaviors by traveling hunters and worse with arrogant ones. Like delays/ hassles imposed on other travelers waiting in the inspection line caused by loaded guns showing up (I watched that play out in the Atlanta “fishbowl” inspection room one time) to dirty clothes packed on and around guns (especially common with one popular silly “golf bag” gun case to incorrect or mis-matched 4457 forms to any number of “you name it” preventable problems. Grrrrr

Last edited:
Have never noted in TSA regulations that states anything other than ….must be locked…no mention of how many locks. I have cleared thru Newark TSA and ORD TSA with their thorough from top to bottom inspecting every item in the case and removing the foam padding, with never a concern that there were only two locks, tho there were four locations… nine trips and never a concern.
It was a new reg that went in a few years ago. I did a post about it at the time. Just beacuse we get away with something doesnt make it right. Get the right person and you dont fly. This is my concern.

Thought you might like my idea.

If in a long line, needing to make a flight along with a bunch of other people behind you, what future is there in arguing with an agent about filling all the holes… 2 locks or 4 locks? Two days ago in a cluster (flop) snake check-in line I watched a hunter trying to check a 4 hole gun case using 2 locks. Next scene was some odd discussion between the group of hunters and the airline agent. Next scene the hunter pulled two more locks out of his or his buddy’s carry on and filled the extra holes. Pointless exercise. Simple solution- if 2 holes use 2 locks, if 4 holes use 4 locks. Different airlines, different countries, different agents… all will likely have different rules- maybe a different one day to the next. The last thing I need (or anyone needs) while traveling is another hassle or delay- especially an avoidable one caused by some “Boy Scout” playing the, “well the rules say” game.

Same holds true when I’ve seen US hunters returning to US having hassles caused by disorganized gun cases that are hard to inspect. The last thing I need at this point in a trip, especially if tired, after a long flight that had been delayed and running up against s tight connecting flight! CARP! Recommendation - use some common sense when choosing, arranging and packing a gun case for such travel. Make it easy for the TSA agent to open and inspect the gun, including its serial number. Do this enough and you we see all manner of bonehead stupid decisions and behaviors by traveling hunters and worse with arrogant ones. Like delays/ hassles imposed on other travelers waiting in the inspection line caused by loaded guns showing up (I watched that play out in the Atlanta “fishbowl” inspection room one time) to dirty clothes packed on and around guns (especially common with one popular silly “golf bag” gun case to incorrect or mis-matched 4457 forms to any number of “you name it” preventable problems. Grrrrr
I agree!

That is funny now. Isnt it? United couldnt get fuel in JNB while eveyone else was fine and flying and then they threw hunters off the plane for a couple days because they didnt have their paperwork in order.
We have to try to choose the least bad airline these days!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmieFletch

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg