Trijicon Reflex on a Double

HushHog

AH member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a 450/400 3" NE double that I have yet to hunt with. I just got it back from having it re-regulated and having some other work done. One of the comments was to get a better front sight blade, which I intend to do. However, I am thinking about running a reflex/red dot sight as the primary on it. Ultimately this will be a buffalo gun.

The reflex sight I am looking at is the Trijicon Reflex 1x42mm 4.5MOA Green Dot. So my question is, Is 4.5moa fine enough for Dangerous Game? Or what is the best Size dot/reticle for Dangerous Game?

Alternatively, if there is some reason the Trijicon Reflex 1x42 is not a good sight for this application, I gladly welcome feedback and opinions.

Thanks yall!

I put their 2.5 MOA on my 470 NE double and love it. The low profile is perfect. Others will ride to high and take your cheek off the stock. Mine has 8 light adjustments plus an automatic light adjustment system

I put the Trijicon RMR red dot 3.25 MOA on my double. The red dot provides rapid target acquisition against the black hide of cape buffalo. I also used it in close quarters and thick bush on a nyala and again, the rapid target acquisition was a huge plus.
As for mounting, the Chapuis 375 H&H has removable blocks on the top rib so the RMR can be mounted flush to the rib.

I have 3.25 MOA Trijicon RMR red dot on my Heym double. This mounts low on the rib and for 75 year old eyes is much faster than iron sights. It is easily removed using a coin and goes back to zero when reinstalled. I have a second non-battery green triangle RMR pre sighted in so I can switch if the battery dies but that has never been an issue. I am just a suspenders and belt guy when a long way from home.

I really appreciate the feedback! I had thought about mounting height as a concern.

Has anyone had any experience with the SRO? It seems like it would offer better field of view over the RMR, but its hard to gage without having them in hand. Yall with the RMR, do yall ever feel like the field of view on it is to small?

I also tried the Holosun which was very good. At the end of the day I wanted a low non discript site that did not take away from the beauty of my double

I really appreciate the feedback! I had thought about mounting height as a concern.

Has anyone had any experience with the SRO? It seems like it would offer better field of view over the RMR, but its hard to gage without having them in hand. Yall with the RMR, do yall ever feel like the field of view on it is to small?
I looked at the SRO and the RMR for my DG rifle.
The SRO has more FOV because of the larger window.
However, what you gain in vision you loose in durability.
The smaller, armored/rubber window of the RMR is tougher.

Gonna have to pick your poison on that one.

I am not sure field of view on a 1x red dot sight is much of an issue. What I find more critical is your cheek weld on the stock must put your eye directly behind the sight window. On the red dots you look through the window and the red dot floats around in the window depending on your head placement. However, no matter where the red dot is in the window it will be at bullet impact point. This is the reason I chose the low RMR sight in combination with a low RMR mount. To insure automatic eye alignment I also used a 1/4" thick removable cheek pad that still allowed the use of the iron sights with a firmer cheeck "press".

Well, you guys made some great points, and convinced me. I ordered an rmr 3.5moa and the base for my rail.

I really appreciate all the replies, and information. It is great to be able to hear from folks that have experience with such things. Especially with everything going on and not being able to run out and find these sights at most stores.

I'm super excited to start shooting my double in earnest, and prepping for a future buffalo hunt!

I looked at the SRO and the RMR for my DG rifle.
The SRO has more FOV because of the larger window.
However, what you gain in vision you loose in durability.
The smaller, armored/rubber window of the RMR is tougher.

Gonna have to pick your poison on that one.
This is a fair assessment.

Not to say the SRO isnt durable, I shoot with the guys who developed and tested it and we throw them in barrels shooting 3 gun all the time and they take an absolute beating, but its probably accurate that in a torture test the RMR would probably win. The SRO window is pretty amazing though

I prefer about a 2MOA dot, so I think your choice of 3 vs 4 was a good one

Yeah, it was my concern that if the dot is to fine then it won't be as fast for quick acquisition but if it is too large it wouldnt be as accurate for good shot placement.

I hope I never face down a charging buffalo, and chances are I'll only get one chance to go. So I want to do it right. At least as right as I can afford to.

In my experience, red dots are "rated" on dot size at a very very low brightness and at "normal" brightness are probably close to 1.5x advertised size and can easily be 2-3x advertised size at higher brightness.

3MOA should be a good do all type size for you especially if you dont have thousands of rounds of practice acquiring the dot

I got my RMR in and went to throw it on my double. Turns out the 11-12mm base does not fit the rail that came with my Sabatti. It's to large. Any recommendations?

I have a Riton X3 PRD 3MOA red dot on my Chapuis, and on my 500 Jeffery bolt gun.

Riton isnt as well known or established as say Trijicon, Leupold, etc..

But I've got a couple of their products.. and have been impressed with the quality and durability they provide for the price you have to pay...

Ive got one of their older model (maybe 5 years old? but no longer sold) 3-9x illuminated reticle optics that is a tank.. with very clear glass (I'd put it on par with Leupold VX5 or better)... Ive mounted it on both my .375 HH to my .416 Taylor at different times.. its now on a .350 Legend.. Its taken the recoil from at least a few hundred rounds from larger caliber rifles.. and is still going strong..

Really good products at a very nice price point..

I also have a pair of Riton 8x42 binos that have been abused quite a bit.. a trip to Kodiak where the weather was horrible all week.. a trip to South Africa.. and several hunts in the lower 48.. absolutely zero complaints..

I run a variety of reflex red dots on a variety of things:

9.3x62 with a 2.0 MOA red dot on a bolt action

Pump action 12b for shooting slugs with a 3 MOA Burris Fastfire III

Geco 2 MOA which I put either on my .22 (for practice) or my .44 mag lever action (3 MOA I think)

I would say that you will rarely wish your dot was bigger, but you might decide a smaller one might suit your better. You can always make a smaller red dot appear bigger by jacking up the brightness and it will flare.

Something else I would say if that I tend the auto settings tend to be too bright for my preference. Also, my only really criticism of the Burris Fastfire is that it only has 3 brightness settings. Get something with a few more would be my advice

Whatever you choose, enjoy your shooting!

(And post pictures!)

Scrummy

Sorry, just checked. Geco is 2 MOA.

9.3x62
yH7rTaC.jpg

Supernova
UeYNz2i.jpg

44 mag lever
o17UBDu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was not happy with the rail that came with my rifle, and the trijicon base did not fit. So I decided to machine my own.

It's lower profile than the rail/base combo, dot still sits above front sight. Better tolerances than the rail the rifle came with. Just need to bevel corners, clean up the looks and get it cerakoted.

KIMG0250.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I put a Trijicon RMR on my Krieghoff Classic in 470NE. The stock rib has a small removable section right at the breech which I replaced with a machinable block pre drilled for the RMR mounting screws from Trijicon. I had it cut and drilled to fit this spot and provide a 0.08" thick base for the RMR. The RMR sits very low, preserves cheek weld and I shoot with both eyes open. Field of view is not an issue as my brain fades out the outline of the enclosing structure on the RMR and all I see is target and the red dot. I posted pictures on another thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg