Travel Documents & Money

Discussion in 'Safari Planning Guide' started by AfricaHunting.com, Feb 1, 2008.

1. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    That was just this year in Aug, I flew back into the states to Dulles and had to go through customs and the security check and it never showed. Also at Johannesburg on the return. I wear it low so maybe they think it's an adult diaper! LOL

2. Tanks

Tanks AH Senior Member

First I think James meant after you are at camp. I would not put cash in anything that gets loaded on the airplane. On my recent trip I put all my cash, passport etc., in my ammo case, locked it, put that in my Tuffpak and locked it as well.

As well as TSA is concerned, I have put all sorts of stuff in my Tuffpak. In larger airports all TSA does is to check it with the chemical sniffer, they already know weapons are in there and X-Rays can discern the stuff anyway.

3. bluey

bluey AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers SFP
    Hunted:
    australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)zambia
    you mean you can put your locked ammo box in a locked riffle case??
    l always utelise the space in both ammo box/riffle case and bow case , with knives, slings,cleaning case, clothes.
    usually my bow case is my suit case.
    but if you put ammo and fire arms together , they wont get out of Australia.
    I always make a point of asking why my arrows ,with broadheads can travel with my bow in the same case , but customs/border protection , don't care.......

4. Tanks

Tanks AH Senior Member

You misunderstood me, I said AT CAMP. That being said one can put the ammo in the gun case on US flights originating from the States as long as you are going non-stop to your destination (if international), it is not against TSA rules but is dependent on the airline. On Delta I have put them together.

Now, in most cases one would use full 11 pounds of ammo allowance. So, it makes sense to put the locked ammo case in the checked luggage separate from the gun case in order to be below 50 pounds and not pay excess luggage fees.

5. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com AH ENABLER FOUNDER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:

6. Michael Dean

Michael Dean AH Enthusiast

Currency Exchange
    Just a thought for those planning on a trip to South Africa this year. One step I took to simplicate matters while in Africa is to get my Rand from my local bank back home. After 20 plus hours of traveling, the last thing I want to be doing is looking for a bank to exchange currency once I land in Africa. I've already ordered it and should be able to pick it up in a couple of days. One less thing I have to worry about while traveling.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2019

7. sierraone

sierraone AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
    I have obtained my rand from my bank also. I only carry enough rand for a local shop or lunch at the airport while waiting to depart back to the U.S. Everyone in camp takes dollars for tips. This is the way I have paid on two trips to South Africa.....And I pay the tips to camp staff myself, from PH down to cleaning lady. And everybody is happy. Any unplanned animals I may take is paid with AMEX at the camp.

8. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    I never take Rand anymore, just use my credit card for any curios , meals and other small expenses.