Toby Keith dies at 62

Rest in Peace, Toby. Hell of a song writer and entertainer. One of the good guys gone too soon.
Love all his songs but Don’t Let the Old Man In really speaks to me.

Many of us are getting to the age where "Don't let the old man in" speaks to most of us.

Toby Keith was golfing with Clint Eastwood. Toby asked Clint how he did it. Clint said "I don't let the old man in". Toby went home and wrote the song and sent it to Clint, saying thanks for the inspiration. Clint used it in the movie he was working on, The Mule.

I knew that he was not well. I saw him on TV a few months back and he was very thin, but I was still somewhat surprised this morning when I heard on the radio that he had passed. What really caught me off guard was the fact that he was 62 years old. I always seem to forget how the years go by. Makes me feel old and sad. RIP sir.

Toby’s albums are what originally drew me to country music as a boy , one the first album I bought was his greatest hits volume one. It seems no matter where I find myself at in life he has a song that makes an appropriate sound track as I pass thirty and most of my “red solo cup days” and “country comes to town” are (mostly) behind me and begin to transition to the “my list” portion of my life I find I’m forced to ponder the man I will be when I reach the “don’t let the old man in” stages. And while I can find no definition answers in my musings I can only hope that when I get there I will handle it with the dignity that he displayed right to the end.

Many of us are getting to the age where "Don't let the old man in" speaks to most of us.

Toby Keith was golfing with Clint Eastwood. Toby asked Clint how he did it. Clint said "I don't let the old man in". Toby went home and wrote the song and sent it to Clint, saying thanks for the inspiration. Clint used it in the movie he was working on, The Mule.

That movie was the first time I heard the song.

I passed along my condolences earlier in this post and as I read the continuing threads of condolences I see a trend. Let us remember that although Toby Keith himself may be gone. BUT his music will forever be in our memories and will always remind us of our own special times, places, and people we were with when we heard each of his songs for the first time.

A legend in his own time.

20240206_204242.jpg

2004 in Afghanistan, might have been the best day I had that year.

“Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue” and “Don’t Let the Old Man In” are my all time favorite country & western songs. My granddaughter told me of his passing (I don’t listen nor watch the news.) She and I were very sad to hear the news.
RIP Mr Keith. You have done well for the rest of us. Thanks!

"dont let the old man in" brings tears , they dont make many like him. I hope he was ready to meet his maker.RIP

A huge loss, I am grateful I got to see him perform at the San Antonio Rodeo several years back. During the day of his performance my kids were walking around the stick show and saw his tour bus. There he was, sitting in a lawn chair smoking a cigar in a roped off area next to the bus. He spoke to the kids, they said he was kind, a regular guy. They’ll never forget that.

RIP Toby, hope to meet you on the other side.

Did anyone attend the SCI concert with Merle Haggard.

Haggard was very sick and Toby surprised the crowd to help Merle sing and get through the show
I was there! Merle was on oxygen and it was his last show. He came last minute because Huey Lewis cancelled due to pressure from the antis.
Toby came out and sang Okie from Muskogee with him.

Loved this guy. Took a girlfriend to see him summer before college in St. Louis. Great writer and entertainer.

Not many celebrities married to the same chick for 39 years.

Also, on a less serious note, not many people who could write a song about the Taliban from the point of view of a non-Taliban Afghani peasant camel herder.

Loved this guy. Took a girlfriend to see him summer before college in St. Louis. Great writer and entertainer.

Not many celebrities married to the same chick for 39 years.

Also, on a less serious note, not many people who could write a song about the Taliban from the point of view of a non-Taliban Afghani peasant camel herder.

He never played the Taliban song when he was in Afghanistan. We asked him about it, he was told not to sing that one it might offend some of the locals. :rolleyes:

RIP Toby Keith.

He was well received Downunder. Red Solo cup always makes me think of a mate that died to young. Don't know why but I think of him when I hear the song and I think it was just the energy or the vibe as most of my friends are into country.

He never played the Taliban song when he was in Afghanistan. We asked him about it, he was told not to sing that one it might offend some of the locals. :rolleyes:
Kind of funny since it is written on behalf of non-Taliban Afganis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyan65373

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.