To hunt this year (2021) or next year (2022)

Jim K

AH member
Reaction score
Media
So my son and I were booked to hunt last year with Kowas. We all know how that turned out.

I left my deposit with them but have not rebooked. Son is 11 almost to be 12 by the time we would go this year. The issues is he has asthma and we are not sure how masking would go on the airlines. I am not willing to go without him as he was very much looking forward to the trip.

Seems if we put in the effort to go this year hunting should be pretty good. Had a really good year financially last year and 1st and 2nd quarter look good this year.

I am getting itchy to rebook but am getting tired of waiting (we booked 2-1/2 years in advance for 2020)

Thoughts?
ideas on how to manage air travel

Jim

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
You want this to be an awesome experience for him. If he has asthma, I would think that 12 to 16 hours with a mask on would be pretty tough. I’d wait.

Ike85123

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
None
So my son and I were booked to hunt last year with Kowas. We all know how that turned out.

I left my deposit with them but have not rebooked. Son is 11 almost to be 12 by the time we would go this year. The issues is he has asthma and we are not sure how masking would go on the airlines. I am not willing to go without him as he was very much looking forward to the trip.

Seems if we put in the effort to go this year hunting should be pretty good. Had a really good year financially last year and 1st and 2nd quarter look good this year.

I am getting itchy to rebook but am getting tired of waiting (we booked 2-1/2 years in advance for 2020)

Thoughts?
ideas on how to manage air travel

Jim
My sister recently flew with her daughter that has bad asthma . My sister bought a asthmatic oxygen tank for her daughter for the flight.
Might be an option for your son ?
Which was a short flight on a Cessna.
But the airline will and should have a tank that you can use for free I believe.
Screenshot_20210324-181953_Google.jpg

Last edited:

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
You want this to be an awesome experience for him. If he has asthma, I would think that 12 to 16 hours with a mask on would be pretty tough. I’d wait.

Count me in with WAB on this one. Lots of time to do this with your son, Africa isn’t going anywhere.

375Fox

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa
How does your son do in school with a mask on all day? The mask mandate might never disappear unfortunately. I hate to see someone continue pushing something off hoping it gets better without guarantees. Namibia has the most reasonable covid restrictions of any African country with 7 day covid test.

Fabnosh

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
United Kingdom, Spain, Norway, South Africa, Namibia
Certainly in Europe there are dispensations not to have to wear masks if there is an underlying medical condition that makes that impossible. I believe that the airlines (most of which are global players) have a similar scheme and the individual just wears a tag saying something like 'permitted not to wear a mask' and that's that. May I suggest before the heartache unfolds you contact the airlines involved and understand their policy - it may give you a stab at getting there.

Good luck.

FN

revturbo9967

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA- IL, WY, CO, NH, ME, Canada- NB
I would say masks are here to stay, especially on airlines. A few of our customers who have 500+ Employees have mentioned a few times they will not be moving away from mask wearing. I would see if you can get written doctors note and then work with the airline ahead of the flight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feznannof

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?