Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
NRA (Life), True Green Alliance
Hunted
USA, Finland, Canada, Africa, Greenland
I have an opportunity to buy a pre-war .275 H&H bolt at a decent price--cosmetically, the rifle has been to hell and back but it is structurally sound and has a bright, shiny bore.

If it was (mostly) any other caliber, I'd jump on it, but it is the .275 that is giving me pause. Bullet diameter is .287, which limits me pretty much to Hawk and Woodleigh. I hear that dies are a pain to get and although RCBS lists them within their Group G special order, users on other forums say that this quest has turned out to be either a matter of many months or even of being in Limbo. Ditto for CH4D.

Brass is another Holy Grail deal. Right now, the only two manufacturers that may be a source are Quality Cartridges (of which I've read that occasionally the primer pockets are too deep, resulting in misfires) and RCC of Texas, of which I've heard absolutely nothing. It's not the $5+ a shell that scares me, it's the unknown reputation of the manufacturers.

Does anyone else have experience with this cartridge? I've booked with Karoo Wild Safaris for next year and I wouldn't mind building me up this rifle for that safari, but the perplexities of doing so abound...

Hi, Red Leg, the seller is very reputable and quite certain.

Hi, Red Leg, the seller is very reputable and quite certain.
LOL I somehow deleted my last post. (n) I was going to ad:

It is probably more likely to be magnum. H&H prefered to build to their own line of ammunition whenever possible. It would be fun to play with, but as you note it would be a lot of trouble to essentially recreate a 7mm magnum. Will be curious to see if someone chimes in who has sorted it out.

You would have a headstamp issue, but I assume brass could be made from the .375?

I heard that reforming brass for this caliber is a PITA--a multiple-step process that would very likely weaken the brass to the point of only getting a couple reloads out of it... If the price on this rifle weren't so attractive, it would be a no-brainer to just say "screw it."

Definitely go for it!

Well now, looka here what we got!:whistle: Had this box around for years, bought it thinking it was something else at the time.
IMG_1379.JPG

Tom Leoni

Best to listen to those who know, instead of guess.......Stick with a knowledgeable guy like Sestoppleman.

Now buy it and eenjoy.

why would you do it to yourself.
even if the stock were pristine it would need replacing due to poor design.
it probably has a crap trigger.
factory ballistics are 140 gn @2650, and 160 gn @2700.
the 280 rem exceeds that easily and the rem mag even better.
probably hand loading can do better, but then that is not the original cartridge.
the 2 available bullets, while not bad, are not in the same class as swift.
and you probably have to pay through the nose for 3rd prize at best.
look at the brown precision website and get a good rifle.
bruce.

why would you do it to yourself.
even if the stock were pristine it would need replacing due to poor design.
it probably has a crap trigger.
factory ballistics are 140 gn @2650, and 160 gn @2700.
the 280 rem exceeds that easily and the rem mag even better.
probably hand loading can do better, but then that is not the original cartridge.
the 2 available bullets, while not bad, are not in the same class as swift.
and you probably have to pay through the nose for 3rd prize at best.
look at the brown precision website and get a good rifle.
bruce.
It is a fun madness though. I have not one, but two Pre-war .318 WR’s. I would suggest at least as equally a challenging cartridge problem. Just need to jump in with eyes (and checkbook) wide open.

It may be wimpy as factory loaded but handloaded its probably a different animal altogether. Its powder room is about between the .280 Rem and 7mm Rem Mag. Cases can be made from .300 H&H.

Bruce

If old calibers and guns were cast aside because there was some modern and somewhat better then in no time we would be down to about 6 or so calibers to hunt with.

After WWII jap guns brought even less money than the Italian carcano and if the "mum" was removed more than one could be had at a bar for a shot and a beer.

One..... everyone hated the japs and Two.....unless you were a Marine...... most people didn't believe it was much of a killer. Plus you could die of boredom finding ammo and if you could find some and if you did it was fmj anyway..

Today I shot 7 whistle pigs at considerable distance with a pristine one that I scoped and worked over maybe 30 years + years ago.

120 gr nbt sends them to the clover field in the sky especially when it leaves the muzzle at 2700.

....of course the 264 win will best it without trying

I’d buy it in a heartbeat, as it shares it’s ubiquitous British 7mm bullet diameter with my 280 Rimless Nitro (Ross) Westley Richards double rifle. I could use the same bullets in either that, the 275 H&H magnum, or the 275 flanged magnum. Tremendous versatility! Let me know if you don’t care to buy it :)

I would like it, and buy it in a heartbeat if you like projects such as that...I don't see all the imagined problems listed in some posts, just take them one at a time and fix them..As to dies a set of standard dies can be rechamberd to your fired cases by such gunsmiths as Dennis Olson, brass can be made from most belted full length cases such as 300, 375, 416 Rem, 8mm Mag,...As to refinishing it, I wouldn't, I take the old girl just as she stands and imagine the many species of game shot killed and the old timers that used her, protect her nostalgia, can't do that with sandpaper and paint..Bullets btw are plentiful...I don't see a problem with the gun at all..if the price is right, the bore is shiny, and if you are not into such things and want out of a trap, I'll take it off your hands at anytime and if the price is right..Ive owned many just like it, love the challenge..but I realize its not for everyone..

I have an opportunity to buy a pre-war .275 H&H bolt at a decent price--cosmetically, the rifle has been to hell and back but it is structurally sound and has a bright, shiny bore.

If it was (mostly) any other caliber, I'd jump on it, but it is the .275 that is giving me pause. Bullet diameter is .287, which limits me pretty much to Hawk and Woodleigh. I hear that dies are a pain to get and although RCBS lists them within their Group G special order, users on other forums say that this quest has turned out to be either a matter of many months or even of being in Limbo. Ditto for CH4D.

Brass is another Holy Grail deal. Right now, the only two manufacturers that may be a source are Quality Cartridges (of which I've read that occasionally the primer pockets are too deep, resulting in misfires) and RCC of Texas, of which I've heard absolutely nothing. It's not the $5+ a shell that scares me, it's the unknown reputation of the manufacturers.

Does anyone else have experience with this cartridge? I've booked with Karoo Wild Safaris for next year and I wouldn't mind building me up this rifle for that safari, but the perplexities of doing so abound...
@Tom Leoni
Lee do custom dies of good quality in a reasonable time.
Have you tried Bertram brass in Australia for your brass.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,