AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Houston Safari Club, SCI,NRA
Hunted
Alaska, Mexico, Inuvik NWT, Canada, Yukon, BC, Argentina, Limpopo, SA,Namibia, Africa
I feel in earlier days Tipping was a sign of appreciation; Now I feel it is survival for families.

I have been thinking and struggling on the correct amounts to tip from the PH, Trackers, Skinners ,Drivers, Cook, Housekeepers etc.
Let's talk first about outfitters for example in N. America. When hunting in N. America I generally tip 10% my guide and if the Outfitter is just taking reservations for the hunt I find no need to tip him. He is already making a profit on me booking the hunt.
Let's now look at Africa. I feel tipping the PH/Owner or giving him an envelope full of cash for his employees sometimes the amount that you wish to give them does not always make it to them in the full amount.

If the Ph/Owner sets you up with another PH I see not reason to tip Owner. He is making money on booking ,on the daily rate of the PH and also on Trophy Fees.
I have always disliked tipping any owner of a company. I feel the tipping needs to go to the employees.

As a rule of them I tip Driver, Skinner, Tracker ($250.00 each)
Cook & Housekeeper ($100.00 each)
I also ask the PH anyone else I should tip and how much to anyone else.

I have been told by Guide/ PH that the Owner/PH charges EXAMPLE...$400 Daily Fee and the Assistant PH is paid $200 daily.
Again I do not wish to insult anyone I just wish to get others view point on this thread.

A really good perspective from Jerome in the OP post. It and the following ONE THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED TWENTY THREE comments offer all you ever likely wanted to read (or perhaps didn't) on the subject with lots of local, regional, and international perspectives garnished with no small amount of periodic emotion. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Tips are always an appreciative thing. But I am in full agreement (as an outfitter) the guide cook etc should be the only ones getting tipped and that should be personally handed from you the client. We make our money from the top. Now if outfitter - owner is doing the guiding different story. 10% is always the standard in my opinion. Unless someone is in your opinion going above and beyond then the tip is totally up to you. Again this is a personal thing but always hand the tip to whomever is to receive it. My opinion only

I was speechless when I started finding out how many hunters didnt tip at all. I wish I could have tipped much better than I did, when I realized how important to the locals it was (Africa). Even in Canada, as hard working our guides were, they were horribly paid and only the tips made it worthwhile to work in the trade,

I was sent this by one of the companies that might do our safarI , the economy of Africa is different from Mexico and Texas and am glad to get a base line on the amount of cash I will need and maybe help me budget
D2BD4963-45C9-4992-81D5-B134821D5E52.png

15% on trophy fees, 15% on daily rates, all divided over those most deserving. And then some extra.

And as a European I’m not used to tipping such amounts. I’m still happy to do so when the need is there.

This was the BIGGEST unknown for me right up to actually going over. There is good information on this site, but answers to this issue were allllll over the place.

While in Africa, I tried to pin down my PH, who is also the owner. Unlike some of the stories I have read on here with pressure tactics, he would not give me an answer and clearly believes it IS discretionary.

Frankly the whole trip was very low key/low-no pressure, with asking what I wanted to do and making a game plan. I had read somewhere with the 100 bucks a day. For my 7 day hunt I gave him an even $1000. I had it on me, because I wasn't sure what I was going to spend. I have never regretted that even for a moment. He did everything every day to make my hunt incredible. It was money well spent. The rest of staff I also tipped accordingly, based on what I saw here and his recommendations.

On a recent safari, I asked the owner what he felt I should tip, he goes on to tell me he has a staff of 35 people. I wanted to say, 'you've got to be f'ing kidding me!!!' Additionally, because the owner had a guide for me who could not speak fluent english, he sent his son along as an interpreter? How do you figure a tip on all that?!

I got lucky on my first safari, the PH requested that I purchase a small winch for his truck because it was cheaper for me to order it online and bring it in my suitcase. Then he fell in love with my 4 Stable Sticks and wanted me to leave them . Then he took a peak through my binocs and immediately fell in love with them too! So I just gave him the winch, quad sticks, binoculars, and a few hundred bucks. Worked just fine for me and him. I planned on tipping the PH about a grand for the twelve day hunt and I gave the skinner $250 and the cook $200. As mentioned by others, there are a ton of posts on this subject and a ton of differing opinions. Tip whatever you think is fair and what you can afford.

On a recent safari, I asked the owner what he felt I should tip, he goes on to tell me he has a staff of 35 people. I wanted to say, 'you've got to be f'ing kidding me!!!' Additionally, because the owner had a guide for me who could not speak fluent english, he sent his son along as an interpreter? How do you figure a tip on all that?!
I hear you. His response was totally inappropriate. How many people he employs is irrelevant unless you used all of them for.a portered safari of old. PH if he/she is an employee then yes, if they are also the owner then no. Trackers and skinners yes and individually if you felt one or more was exceptional. Chief separately if outstanding otherwise just part of an overall camp staff tip. And unfortunately we have to take into account the difference in the value of our currency and theirs otherwise we risk significantly over tipping. A good way to avoid this is to ask how much money they get paid per month. Pain in the ass for sure.

I got lucky on my first safari, the PH requested that I purchase a small winch for his truck because it was cheaper for me to order it online and bring it in my suitcase. Then he fell in love with my 4 Stable Sticks and wanted me to leave them . Then he took a peak through my binocs and immediately fell in love with them too! So I just gave him the winch, quad sticks, binoculars, and a few hundred bucks. Worked just fine for me and him. I planned on tipping the PH about a grand for the twelve day hunt and I gave the skinner $250 and the cook $200. As mentioned by others, there are a ton of posts on this subject and a ton of differing opinions. Tip whatever you think is fair and what you can afford.
Damn ! You are lucky you didn’t bring your wife !

I budget about $200 a day for plains game. This lets me have a little flexibility in how much I leave for each person.

As to the letter and other "guides"- if $100 per day is the recommended "tip" then what is the day rate the PH is earning ?? Even a 20% tip at $100 would be a day rate $500 for the PH's wage. We all know that's not what they earn thus a $100 tip is probably paramount to a 50% tip or so. Does this letter get provided to ALL clients, no matter where they are from, or just the clients from countries known for tipping?

And I guide here in the US and I know what a tip means to a PH.Guide.

I hate tipping charge me what it takes to pay your employees and make a profit, nice and clean that way. I always feel weird after becoming friends with the PH and staff and then they look to you for a tip.

I hate tipping charge me what it takes to pay your employees and make a profit, nice and clean that way. I always feel weird after becoming friends with the PH and staff and then they look to you for a tip.
They don't. They feel grateful.

Last edited:
I always feel weird after becoming friends with the PH and staff and then they look to you for a tip.

Really ? You are not a friend, you are a client, and the PH will likely get 100$ a day from the outfitter.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HalPendley

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double