Tipping in Great Britian

Ok,I don't live in the U.K. But in Ireland. Our societies are not too dissimilar. I also work as a pigeon guide during the summer months and in January/February when the pigeons are tucking into the winter rape.

Most of my clients are Scandinavian and those societies do not tip customarily. My regulars often bring me a bottle of good snaps as a gift. We are to all intents and purposes friends. It is customary in Denmark to bring a gift to a hunt.

Newcomers are often writhing with anxiety about how much to tip. Too little can be interpreted as rude,too much as extravagant. I am perfectly happy to tell them that they are paying an agreed rate and I don't expect anymore.
Restaurants if there is no service charge yes 10% is acceptable. Cabs/taxis,as a rule we don't tip very much.

Buying hunting anywhere is fraught with danger. I see stories of people being charged a stalking fee,fair enough, a shot fee,WTF ! What in the hell are you out for ? Of course you are out for a stalk in the hope of finding the right animal for you. But an additional charge for shooting one ? An additional charge for carcass damage. What do you expect with a boiler room shot ?

Trophy prices should be agreed beforehand and the guide should assess it. If it exceeds his estimation,tough titty.

IMG_0579.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Sika98k that's some good info I myself have been taken by that shot charge. I didn't read the fine print on the back of the page when I took my wife on her bear hunt and it cost me another 500 dollars for a missed shot she hit a tree instead of the bear.

Hi Bob,

Tipping is completely different from the states. In England a tip doesn't make up any of someone's salary. It is what it was meant for 'a tip'.

No guide will expect a tip - you are paying their set rate for the hunt. This is the cost they set to make a living. However, if you have a good time then a tip is always well received. I would avoid giving bottles of anything - most guides will have cupboards full of the stuff from clients. I would say somewhere between £30 - £50 a day depending on your trip would be the norm.

Have a great time, who are you going with? I am in Suffolk, Norfolk is not far away. You will have fun, lots of deer in these parts and the Muntjac are a real pest.

Reach out if there is any advice I can give.

PS Muntjac won't hang around or stay still for long - stay sharpe.

I agree £30 to £50 per day is reasonable. If you're looking for restaurants, I suggest using TripAdvisor. There are many good restaurants (and pubs doing excellent food as well) across the UK....might not have been the case years ago, but things have changed a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RXQLela937

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber