Tipping in Great Britian

Ok,I don't live in the U.K. But in Ireland. Our societies are not too dissimilar. I also work as a pigeon guide during the summer months and in January/February when the pigeons are tucking into the winter rape.

Most of my clients are Scandinavian and those societies do not tip customarily. My regulars often bring me a bottle of good snaps as a gift. We are to all intents and purposes friends. It is customary in Denmark to bring a gift to a hunt.

Newcomers are often writhing with anxiety about how much to tip. Too little can be interpreted as rude,too much as extravagant. I am perfectly happy to tell them that they are paying an agreed rate and I don't expect anymore.
Restaurants if there is no service charge yes 10% is acceptable. Cabs/taxis,as a rule we don't tip very much.

Buying hunting anywhere is fraught with danger. I see stories of people being charged a stalking fee,fair enough, a shot fee,WTF ! What in the hell are you out for ? Of course you are out for a stalk in the hope of finding the right animal for you. But an additional charge for shooting one ? An additional charge for carcass damage. What do you expect with a boiler room shot ?

Trophy prices should be agreed beforehand and the guide should assess it. If it exceeds his estimation,tough titty.

IMG_0579.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Sika98k that's some good info I myself have been taken by that shot charge. I didn't read the fine print on the back of the page when I took my wife on her bear hunt and it cost me another 500 dollars for a missed shot she hit a tree instead of the bear.

Hi Bob,

Tipping is completely different from the states. In England a tip doesn't make up any of someone's salary. It is what it was meant for 'a tip'.

No guide will expect a tip - you are paying their set rate for the hunt. This is the cost they set to make a living. However, if you have a good time then a tip is always well received. I would avoid giving bottles of anything - most guides will have cupboards full of the stuff from clients. I would say somewhere between £30 - £50 a day depending on your trip would be the norm.

Have a great time, who are you going with? I am in Suffolk, Norfolk is not far away. You will have fun, lots of deer in these parts and the Muntjac are a real pest.

Reach out if there is any advice I can give.

PS Muntjac won't hang around or stay still for long - stay sharpe.

I agree £30 to £50 per day is reasonable. If you're looking for restaurants, I suggest using TripAdvisor. There are many good restaurants (and pubs doing excellent food as well) across the UK....might not have been the case years ago, but things have changed a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!