Tipping Guide

I don´t know about the rest of Europeans, but I strongly object about paying VAT, along with other taxes which end up taking around 50% of our income :E Red Hot:
My point still stands. Some of the comments on here about American tipping culture by Europeans ignore the fact your governments get a “tip” on every purchase. Tipping the people who worked hard directly for you to make your hunt successful 10%-15% seems like it should be a nice change instead of a compulsory 20%-25% to your governments on every purchase you make.

My point still stands. Some of the comments on here about American tipping culture by Europeans ignore the fact your governments get a “tip” on every purchase. Tipping the people who worked hard directly for you to make your hunt successful 10%-15% seems like it should be a nice change instead of a compulsory 20%-25% to your governments on every purchase you make.

On that I can wholeheartedly agree!

Here you can see an good example:
A policeman in Zimb. earns around 200 US dollar a month.
So a 20 - 30 dollar tipp (complete, not per day) for an tracker and co. will be fine.
A PH is good payed by the company. (Sometimes then he is an great man, I present him an item of my good hunting equipment. (Or I send him some high quality pictures later on.) Or - mutch better - I hunt without an PH on my own, self guided, as we did it in europe ever.

I had hunted around the world, and as an european man, I "hate" the (so called) tipping culture.
I pay good for an hunt, so I can expect that the owner of the company payed the staff great.

I’m getting to the point that I’m just about done tipping in restaurants, in Las Vegas the wife wanted to go to the Rainforest Cafe, 20 plus minutes for a waiter to show up, ordered a Taco Salad as I wasn’t very hungry. Half way through I’m chewing a piece of plastic. Wait another 10 minutes for a waiter to come by, they took the salad off the bill, but still want a tip. To hell with that you want a tip work for it. I’ve always said service in the US is way better then in Canada, but that’s not so anymore.

As I joined the forum not so long time ago, I had the chance to read this article only now. It's one of the best piece about our passion, I've ever read. Me, just one time I didn't tip the guide (who is no more in business), since not only me, but the entire bunch of hunters were so disappointed - I was the only "across the Ocean" hunter, all the others from US, one of my first big game hunt, after elk.
I've always tipped every other guides, and I would say that almost all of them are good friends : so how to tip a friend? It could be a bit embarrassing, so I always present money as a present, at the end of the hunt, but like something I had already prepared time before, regardless of the outcome of the hunt. I also always give it together a "real" present, like a knife, or a book, or a piece of gear. That makes the situation a bit more personal, something I always prefer. I don't care to look like "the boss" of the guide, on the opposite I care to create a climate of cooperation and friendship - as also, most of the time there is a lot to learn from him.

Just a note to all travellers coming to South Africa.
If you get good service at a restaurant please tip for th most parts in South Africa waiters earn a small percentage commisions the rest is tips. I was a waiter long ago for a few years in a couple of restaurants so I generally tip well when I get good service. 10% is appropriatte anything more is for service received.

If I get bad service I will tell them in the end and give a small tip or nothing but will let the waiter or manager know.

Then as an ex outfitter and PH who hunted with far less American clients and more Europeans and Aussies tips were nice but that was it it was a bonus.
Sometimes we would ask for hunters to bring over cases or bullets or gear and then cut it from the account at the end and a lot of the times it was then given to us as a tip.

So from my side I enjoy giving tips if I get service!
I would also be very dissapointed to fork out $1400 for tips for a failed buffalo hunt.
If however I was at fault and everyone worked very hard at getting that shot and I missed or was to slow or whatever in taking the shot the staff did their part.

If I ever get lucky enough to hunt in other countries as a full paying clients I will also let the outfitter know before hand that tips might be nominal. I did that with my lion hunt and tipped what I could afford and budgeted for it but it was not 10%

Yes! Ammunition as a tip, is a welcome possibility. I understand that in many African countries is hard to get ammo, and is high priced. So, indeed, why not helping outfitter and letting then have extra ammo after the hunt.

I always as the outfitter if he has a recommendation for tips. Some will give some advice, others won't. Some camps have a small staff, others can have 12 people, now that can get a bit much. I always give cash as a tip, and if I am going to give any boots, clothing, knives, flashlights or ammo, that is just extra above giving cash. Staff and guides can't pay a lot of bills with a pair of binoculars.

I am doing my best to change the tipping culture of Europe one waiter, guide, and driver at a time. It is a formidable challenge, but I am making progress. :cool:
Wasn't there in the beginning of this thread a philosophy "when in Rome... etc."...?

Wasn't there in the beginning of this thread a philosophy "when in Rome... etc."...?
It is possible some things will never be settled.
As was mentioned earlier; book with European companies that don't expect tips or be prepared to add tips to the hunt.

Another word for tip is gratuity (showing gratitude)... outfitters and PH's often go the extra mile and often above and beyond the contracted agreement. You would be showing gratitude for that little bit extra that makes YOUR holiday / hunt memorable for a life time. Whether you show gratitude (tip) or not and to what extent is up to you.

Another word for tip is gratuity (showing gratitude)... outfitters and PH's often go the extra mile and often above and beyond the contracted agreement. You would be showing gratitude for that little bit extra that makes YOUR holiday / hunt memorable for a life time. Whether you show gratitude (tip) or not and to what extent is up to you.
Feeling generous after receiving service that lightens the soul and puts a grin on the face is pretty easy.
Getting service from people that feel owed up front no matter what kind of service tendered sticks in the craw.
And yes, there are tightwad clients that want record trophy's, and anything else for that matter, on a $10 budget.
I've watched people eat most of the food they ordered then call the waitstaff over to complain in order to get a discount or refund.
I also watched people at an all you can eat buffet go fill more plates when they are full just to leave on their table to be discarded. I've pondered their actions but am pretty sure their answer would not be rational. I guess it must be to themselves.

Yesterday was my birthday. They made reservations at an all you can eat meat restaurant @ $62/per person plus libations. The list of meats was substantial. Staff would come around the tables with large skewers and cut slices off for those that wanted some of what they offered. About 5 meats were offered then it dried up. Only after a complaint was registered (Not me) did some of the same meats reappear. The bill for our table of five may have been close to $400 without tip or tax.
This makes me wonder what their business model or policy's are. Of course it is doubtful they are at a loss for high end costumers. I, for one, would not return to their business, at no loss to them.

Just thinking about this stuff is draining.

I may have missed this in the thread but I have a question.
How do you tip the PH if he is actually the Owner/Outfitter? Do you tip him the same as if he was a PH working under someone else?

I may have missed this in the thread but I have a question.
How do you tip the PH if he is actually the Owner/Outfitter? Do you tip him the same as if he was a PH working under someone else?
Yes

You tip the PH that took you hunting the same no matter if he owns the company or is a PH working for a company.

You tip the person that put in the work in the field with you based on the effort he put in (not the results…he can’t shoot them for you)

Last edited:
What @TERMINATOR said, or at least it was for me... My PH was the owner. Didn't matter a whit that he was the owner. He worked his tail off for me. I had a tremendously successful hunt because of that work.

One thing that maybe was never mentioned on this topic.
After unsuccessful hunt?
To tip or not? To reduce the tip?
What do you say?

After unsuccessful hunt?
What do you say?
What is “Unsuccessful”?

You miss on several animals?
You can’t walk and get where you need to be?

Honestly it is pretty dang hard to be unsuccessful in Africa unless you can’t shoot and/or can’t walk.

And there are no bench rest in the bush, so you need to be able to shoot off sticks standing and sitting on your ass as well as over a pack/rolled up coat

You tip based on the effort put in by the PH not your results and I wouldn’t expect hou to be “unsuccessful” unless you were the problem

After unsuccessful hunt?
What do you say?

I agree with @TERMINATOR in defining success on safari..

If "success" is dependent on the animals one takes, then they are hunting for the wrong reasons.. Safari clients should tip based on things like attitude, effort, professionalism, and enthusiasm, and not what ends up at the skinning shed..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg