Tipping Guide

And you’re from one of the only tipping cultures in the world. Imagine how it looks to people from countries that don’t tip at all.
It’s one of the things that always stopped me from doing Africa.
Add 50% to every hunt for currency exchange and then another 10-15% for tips just because it’s expected as most clients these days are from a country that does it.

I grew up in W. Germany, so I understand where you're coming from.
 
And you’re from one of the only tipping cultures in the world. Imagine how it looks to people from countries that don’t tip at all.
It’s one of the things that always stopped me from doing Africa.
Add 50% to every hunt for currency exchange and then another 10-15% for tips just because it’s expected as most clients these days are from a country that does it.
I get tired of the whining about tipping. Imagine what European VAT taxes of 20-25% look to me. Australia isn’t a low tax country. Paying a tip direct to an individual for good service isn’t the end of the world. If tipping stops someone from going to Africa they were looking for an excuse. If you’re looking for ways to keep costs in check it’s very doable if someone actually wants to go.
 
Agreed! If you want to go on safari, find a way. A tip is not an excuse for not going plus it's not mandatory to tip although it is expected if the safari went well. You don't want to tip? That's OK but you need to own it.
 
Don't let tipping stop you from fulfilling your dream. If you feel a tip is appropriate, tip what you can offord. To hell with what other people say or think. Ĥow many times have you received a tip for doing your job. It's not a tip, it's a bonus. 10, 15,20% ? What was your last raise the last time you got one, 3% maybe? If you want to go to Africa, go and don't let some silly tipping guide stop you.

Paul
 
I get tired of the whining about tipping. Imagine what European VAT taxes of 20-25% look to me. Australia isn’t a low tax country. Paying a tip direct to an individual for good service isn’t the end of the world. If tipping stops someone from going to Africa they were looking for an excuse. If you’re looking for ways to keep costs in check it’s very doable if someone actually wants to go.

This is an interesting way to look at it. Being from the US, I am used to tipping. However, I would much prefer to give 10-20% to a person who has helped me immensely in a service industry role than to give 20-25% to a government agency to p*ss away on some more fraud.
 
Most important is to discuss the tipping and expectation upfront.
Then you can decide to book the hunt or not.

Unfortunately the PHs are often paid not very well, also the camp staff is not paid accordingly, so they depend on tips.

On the other hand you deserve service.
In our last hunt we tipped on the upper level of the recommended spread for camp team, PH, tracker, park guide...
But the camp manager (black lady) showed the first time up, when we left the camp. We have never seen her in entire week and she just came and asked for a tip higher than the entire camp team and trackers, skinners and so on asked for. We gave this lazy bi*** nothing...
 
This is entirely not done. Nobody should be asking you directly for a tip. In any camp I've hunted from and with the safari operators I represent that would never happen. Whoever is the owner there should be relieving her of her duties and send her packing.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,286
Messages
1,571,707
Members
169,399
Latest member
JulianePon
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top