Tipping Guide

What do you do when you have two PH with you for the week please. Do both get your good tip % then it is split?

I have had that happen on several occasions the last 2 trips. Multiple PHs on hunt. Mainly on Lioness and Buff.
I tipped lead PH same as always and other PHs about half of what I did lead PH. But that was me. I tip by the day not percent of hunt total. But that is my way. I had it budgeted into hunt because I knew ahead of time. Do as you see fit I say.

What do you do when you have two PH with you for the week please. Do both get your good tip % then it is split?

Do folks in SA prefer US dollars or rand?
I’ve been told on Reddit that most folks there don’t want foreign currency because of the hassle to convert.

I’ve been told on Reddit that most folks there don’t want foreign currency because of the hassle to convert.
Every person I have worked with in RSA or Namibia wants USD
Marius @KMG Hunting Safaris could give you the outfitter/guide official answer/reasoning

I just know I am happy I don't have to convert USD to Rand

Every person I have worked with in RSA or Namibia wants USD
Marius @KMG Hunting Safaris could give you the outfitter/guide official answer/reasoning

I just know I am happy I don't have to convert USD to Rand

I thought I’d read here as well that they preferred US $, so that’s what I tipped with myself. On this RSA Reddit forum alI follow, everyone has told me tipping is very rare there and they all definitely preferred rand, because it’s a hassle to convert $.
They all thought the 8-10 % tip I gave to PH was a ridiculous amount, but none would’ve turned it down!

On both my safari's I have tipped the PH in US dollars and the help in SA rand. I'll convert dollars to rand at my US bank and take it with me along with a few more rand. That way if I want to buy some candy bars or something small I have the rand to do it and don't end up with a CC charge.

On my hunt this past June the outfitter accepted a credit card for the tips for the help, but I already had the rand with me.

I thought I’d read here as well that they preferred US $, so that’s what I tipped with myself. On this RSA Reddit forum alI follow, everyone has told me tipping is very rare there and they all definitely preferred rand, because it’s a hassle to convert $.
They all thought the 8-10 % tip I gave to PH was a ridiculous amount, but none would’ve turned it down!
Apparently I tip “ridiculously” as well

The silliest comments here are those who complain that such and such country or region should do things differently ...... Pay higher wages, include the "tip" as part of the upfront cost, whatever. That attitude is pretty much a classic definition of "ethnocentricity." Something we non-worldly American rubes have been accused of for generations.

Let me offer an observation based on fifty years of extensive international travel. No one is going to change an industry-wide compensation system or economic model because some non-resident doesn't like it. As a visitor, it is far better to simply realize things are done differently in fill in the blank (rather like the past). ;) Pretty much end of discussion. So the only real question is whether you adapt to those mores, don't go, or be miserly.

It is just like the US service industry - particularly restaurants and bars. Often servers in those establishments aren't even paid what is considered in this country a minimum wage. They, like many staff in African countries, are essentially working for tips. I should add, in a good restaurant or bar, that can mean a very nice monthly income. We have a young friend in Virginia with a MBA who "can't afford" to quit her waitress job. The fact that a European or Canadian visitor thinks we ought to have a different system is irrelevant. The choice is either adapt to US customs while here, don't come, or stiff your server.

And as I have noted several times in this epic discussion, I do choose to tip in Europe. Even small out of the way guesthouses high in the Alps or the MIdi of France. Haven't had one thrown back in my face yet. And though it is not adapting, I think it is a far better non-adaption than ignoring people who have worked hard and are counting on our generosity.
As a person with over 2 million actual flight miles on airlines for business, having traveled to 6 of the 7 continents (not a lot of business done in Antartica) I can tell you one absolute truth from living in restaurants and hotels around the world.

The quality of the service you get in hospitality establishments very much is in direct relationship to how much of the person's pay comes from tips. The service in restaurants in countries where tipping is not a thing is GENERALLY (not always) far less attentive and pleasant than it is in places where the server is counting on your tip. It just is. It's human nature. If your server doesn't expect a tip her/she cares way more about what is happening on their smartphone than they do taking care of you. If your server wants tips because that is were most of their income comes from...they bust their ass hustling for the tables.

So when I travel, if the service is good to great...the person gets tipped like I am in America no matter where I am. And inversely, if the service sucks they get tipped like I am in Europe...no matter where I am.

One thing I can tell you....when you tip well in a restaurant in Europe or RSA....the next time you come in the servers are fighting for the chance to take care of you and you are treated like you royalty. I do not give a shit what the other people at tables around me do...I like good service and you would be surprised how good of service you get when you tip in a place where tips are not customary.

Same with baggage handlers and other workers in hotels.

I love walking into a place and having the people light up when they see me. That makes me happy because I know I made them happy...and know I will get good service.

Last trip I stayed in the City Lodge Hotel at O.R. Tambo before traveling on to East London. We stayed for a day just to recover from the flight from Atlanta to JBurg and get started adjusting to the time change. First night, after we checked in, we ate right at the hotel restaurant. The food was good and the service good and I gave a reasonable (by US standards) tip. Like 15-18% Well let me tell you, we went down for lunch the next day and were greeted by huge smiles and "Great to see you again...I have a table right here for you!". Our service was off the charts. Our order went in quick and food came out fast... drink glasses never went dry...our check came immediately when I ask for it. Trust me...service is like that is not the norm in Europe, Africa or Mexico. But it is for me.

And yea...I haven't had anybody act insulted by getting a decent tip in places were it isn't the norm....quite the opposite. But when I get the normal shitty, indifferent service in Europe ... I have no problem saying "well, looks like I round up this 27.80Euro bill to 30Euros....mainly just to save me the time waiting for change, not that I thought they deserved a 2.20 Euro tip.

Last edited:
Was at Western Outdoor Expo in Salt Lake City yesterday, and saw this in hand out from one of the exhibitors.......the last line says that tips are mandatory...is it still a a tip then?.. FWB
IMG-3993 (2).PNG

Was at Western Outdoor Expo in Salt Lake City yesterday, and saw this in hand out from one of the exhibitors.......the last line says that tips are mandatory...is it still a a tip then?.. FWBView attachment 515087
It’s not a tip anymore. It’s a charge only accepted in cash. Out of curiosity what is the charge? A US company would try saying 20% but I’ve seen Argentina companies state maximum tips.

Was at Western Outdoor Expo in Salt Lake City yesterday, and saw this in hand out from one of the exhibitors.......the last line says that tips are mandatory...is it still a a tip then?.. FWBView attachment 515087
Just my Opinion and 2¢:

This outfitter would not make my list of possible outfitters to go with.

I avoid outfitters that make tipping mandatory, provide a tipping amount by camp/lodge staff duties (as part of the staffs wages) and have by the inch prices on horn/antler length.

Just my Opinion and 2¢:

This outfitter would not make my list of possible outfitters to go with.

I avoid outfitters that make tipping mandatory, provide a tipping amount by camp/lodge staff duties (as part of the staffs wages) and have by the inch prices on horn/antler length.

I have to agree
I think its disgusting that outfitters demand or even expect any kind of tip for any of their staff

A tip is a tip!!! Should never be expected

Bad thing is, I didn't notice this until I got home. They were nice people, their first ever show I think, and I was considering a hunt with them.............but, hey....the "mandatory tip" could be 10 grand for all I know..........would have liked to have asked................FWB

Bad thing is, I didn't notice this until I got home. They were nice people, their first ever show I think, and I was considering a hunt with them.............but, hey....the "mandatory tip" could be 10 grand for all I know..........would have liked to have asked................FWB
I did an Amazon fishing trip with Acute Angling in 2018.

They left a form letter on our pillows for when we returned from last day of fishing stating all the people to be tipped and how they didnt get paid much, so they really needed tips instead of salary.

I was so pissed I didnt even think to take a picture of the letter.

Put a real downer on what til that time was a very enjoyable trip for me, and I’m a tip guy. I have no worries about it unless its demanded; thats the difference for me.

Other 7 folks in camp gave their tips that night after dinner. I didnt as I was stewing on it, and waited til the next morning and left considerably less then I planned, and told the camp manager so.

Had I known this was practice when considering the trip I would not have gone. No reference mentioned it that I checked with when asking around and I asked about how much they typically accounted for in general to get an idea; same as this thread. To ask like this in a hunt offer as you show is ridiculous.

This type of demanding $XXX for a tip really needs to be put to a stop. I have walked out of a restaurant after looking at a menu and seeing that they automatically add a percentage to the final bill for the tip, one time I left a group of friends sitting at the table even when they said that they would cover it.

As long as we as consumers continue to book these type of outfitters, or go to businesses that do it it will continue. If I went on a outfitted hunt and didn't see that they were adding the tip and what it would be until I got there the owner would get a ear full from me before I paid the final bill. They would also get a very bad review of the practice on my review of the hunt.

I have never had a problem with paying more than the going rate for tips is the service is exceptional. But when it is figured in because the owner isn't paying the help what they deserve just grinds at me.

My wife and I went to Jamaica a few years back and we had a waiter that was exceptional and I gave him a $50 tip at an all inclusive resort. He just sat down and cried. He said that was more than he made in a week.

As for my upcoming South Africa trip
I have budgeted what I did last 2 safari. I know what is recommended by him for cook and staff. Since it's a small camp and only 2 of us there for 14 days. $20/day cook, 3-5/day for laundry and cleaning. Tracker,skinner are same person. 7-10 /day. Ph I tip flat $100/day on PG more if DG hunt. But that is me and the camp I am going too. All really depends on camp and what area you are hunting and species I think.

My wife and I went to Jamaica a few years back and we had a waiter that was exceptional and I gave him a $50 tip at an all inclusive resort. He just sat down and cried. He said that was more than he made in a week.
Very nice! Sometimes we lose perspective of other people's lot in life when they are making our vacations extra special. Good on you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.