DmacD

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, U.S.A., Namibia, England, South Africa
Once again, I call upon the learned gentlemen (and ladies) of the Forum for their knowledge. I have the opportunity to purchase this over/under double chambered in 9.3x74R, purchased new back in 1993, and have some questions.
First, what is the overall opinion of these Tikka over/unders? Does anyone own and use one? Do you like it?
Second, the current owner states that as far as regulation goes, the top barrel shoots 3/4" to the right, while the bottom shoots 3/4" to the left, both at 100 yards. I know that there is built in regulation adjustment for the vertical, but do not know if there is any regulation adjustment for the horizontal?
Lastly, what would you say would be a ballpark figure on value? The seller says he sighted it in with 12 shots back in '93, then put it in the safe when his African Safari trip got cancelled. The photos certainly indicate "as new" condition, and I am aware that the usual rules of buyer beware apply.
Thanks in advance.

If you never improved the shot placement--it would still be rated EXCELLENT for a double rifle and a consistent field performer. They were well built, just looked unique with the separated barrels. If you like the looks, they certainly perform. I used to see them quite reasonably priced compared to other combos--a solid deal. May or may not be the case today. A recent article by one of our Shikaris mentioned that caliber in a double as excellent leopard medicine, too.

That would be a solid group, you can work with loads and possibly pull it a little tighter but you have a hunting class accuracy in that double.

I have never shot one of the tikka doubles so can't comment on them in any informed way.

If you never improved the shot placement--it would still be rated EXCELLENT for a double rifle and a consistent field performer. They were well built, just looked unique with the separated barrels. If you like the looks, they certainly perform. I used to see them quite reasonably priced compared to other combos--a solid deal. May or may not be the case today. A recent article by one of our Shikaris mentioned that caliber in a double as excellent leopard medicine, too.
Hey, thanks for your reply. The caliber I like, just no knowledge of the platform.

Good,sturdy ones, maybe bit heavy for some,bu you can adjust muzzles for loads your self. And Combo set, shotgun barrels to be found also.

Once again, I call upon the learned gentlemen (and ladies) of the Forum for their knowledge. I have the opportunity to purchase this over/under double chambered in 9.3x74R, purchased new back in 1993, and have some questions.
First, what is the overall opinion of these Tikka over/unders? Does anyone own and use one? Do you like it?
Second, the current owner states that as far as regulation goes, the top barrel shoots 3/4" to the right, while the bottom shoots 3/4" to the left, both at 100 yards. I know that there is built in regulation adjustment for the vertical, but do not know if there is any regulation adjustment for the horizontal?
Lastly, what would you say would be a ballpark figure on value? The seller says he sighted it in with 12 shots back in '93, then put it in the safe when his African Safari trip got cancelled. The photos certainly indicate "as new" condition, and I am aware that the usual rules of buyer beware apply.
Thanks in advance.
I own a Valmet 412s for over 30 years now, also a barrel in 9,3x74r. Kicks like a mule, but will get the job done. You can adjusts the barrels sideways and up-down to get the perfect group. Front of the barrels for left- right. In the middle is the adjustment for up- down. Take your time on the range to adjust. It is a strong gun, you will have a lot of fun. Greetz, Erik Netherlands

i have one valmet with a set of double 9.3x74r and i put a leupold german 4 on it and i will try the combo for bison this winter i do not know yet if i will use the woodleigh rn or aframe in 285 grains. i do now that the oryx worked in my 9.3x62 in the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go789click

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois