Tick clothes spray

Reaction score
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Nambiba
Hi
i am looking for Tick Bite spray for clothing. Im UK based. I have had tick bite fever in the past, UK doctors were no help. I managed to get hold of Doxycyclin.

Hi

Like you, I’ve had tick bite fever. I use life systems permethrin spray available on Amazon. Great stuff and survives around four washes.

I’m UK based as well so feel free to message.

FN

I will second the Lifesystems spray. Certainly keeps mosquitoes and ticks away from me. You can buy refill bottles also

IMG_0583.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Ant and Termite Spray - active ingredient is 100g/L Permethrin 25:75.

I presume there are similar products available elsewhere.

To treat clothing, I use 55mL per 4L of water.

Based on my sums and research, this matches the concentration of the commercial clothing treatments - at a fraction of the cost.

Normal disclaimer - verify anything you read from some random person on the interwebs .... even on AH ;)

Attachments

• David Grays 500ml Ant and Termite Spray - Bunnings Australia.pdf
    1,015.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
doxycycline will also cover you for malaria, if that is of question where you are traveling.

I used permetherin before every safari and it seemed to work well.
I also use it here in Colorado particularly in tick season (Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever), but also for mosquitoes (West Nile virus). If there’s a mosquito within 100 yards, it seems to find me! I HATE MOSQUITOES!

Attachments

• Repel 100% DEET Insect Repellent Pump | Cabela's.pdf
    549.6 KB · Views: 23
I soaked my shirts and pants in permethrin - then hang dry, first wash separate from everyday clothes, hang dry. There are directions on the bottle.
Actual hunting days I would use a deep woods off wipe. Wipe down (on skin) arms, legs, mid section around waistline. Was crawling through the grass and mopani in Feb/Mar and didn’t get one bite thankfully. I would see them crawling on my shirt and pants and knock them off. My PH would just use a bottle of some local spray - he and the trackers got bit up pretty good. He got the fever a day after I left and knocked him down for a week or two.

Hi
i am looking for Tick Bite spray for clothing. Im UK based. I have had tick bite fever in the past, UK doctors were no help. I managed to get hold of Doxycyclin.
What you are looking for is 0.05% Pemetherin in a spray bottle to treat ALL of your clothing for your safari. I use the Sawyer brand but you can get any Pemetherin product available in the UK and make it work.
I highly recommend this clothing treatment and have proven it myself that it lasts 5+ washings.

As has been said before, spray and hang dry clothing/boots two weeks prior to actual hunt with Permethrin. Daily, I use Picaridin lotion and wipe over my exposed skin. If bitten by something I use Afterbite-Xtra.

I use this regiment in Africa and in the deep south of the US where ticks, chiggers, sand fleas, no-see'ems, mosquitos and other insects are a part of daily life in the field.

sawyer-permethrin_540x481.jpg
picaridin-sawyer-insect-repellent_540x481.jpg
afterbite-xtra_2_540x481.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I soaked clothes in permethrin then let them hang dry. Wash once by themselves and put away until arrival in country. I also purchased RID insect repellant and found that it did a good job on keeping even the Tetse flies away. Sprayed clothe and all exposed skin areas in the morning and then again mid-day.

Not sure about the UK, but in the US you can get a quart of concentrated permethrin (36.8% active ingredient) for about $40. The pre-diluted spray is only 0.5% active ingredient, so buying the pesticide version gets you about 100x or more applications for your money, just need to dilute it to proper concentration.

My PH last summer also suggested bringing canine flea and tick shampoo for the evening shower. Figured it couldn't hurt. Seemed like a good second line of defense along with the various sprays/clothing treatments. Amoxicillin was what they treated me with in the past. Seemed to fix me up in 7-10 days.

Try out Lifesystems spray, it's the best i could recommend .

Wife and I use permethrin and spray everything about a week before a hunt. We buy a concentrate and dilute it to the desired 0.5% and load it in a hand sprayer. Dry it for a couple of days and it’s good for up to 3 months.

We also take a small aerosol can of the Sawer product in the field to touch up clothing as needed.

Using this method has kept us tick free when others hunting in the same area have been pulling several off of them.

Last turkey season used permethrin in the yellowish spray can. Camo clothes had been yreated the year before but sprayed them again and let dry for 7 days before season. My hunting partner took 21 ticks off himself in one morning. I had none!!

This is similar to what we use and is 36.8% concentrate. Dilute it down pretty easily and put it in a pump sprayer. More economical than buying the Sawyer.
1705009054767.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoniaMedla

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.