Thoughts or info on this rifle????

Rtsj

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Buying this off of an older gentleman who said he bought it years ago and never shot it. Guy he got it off of said he put it in the HS precision stock but had no other info on it other than it was shot very very little and looks like brand new. Could this be a Remington custom shop rifle or a semi/custom or??? Looks like an aftermarket barrel and something Remington wouldn’t have installed but I honestly have no clue. Curious as to best guesses on it. It’s a LH Rem 700 416 Rem Mag.

Thanks
Roy

72E9BC20-C3E1-45EF-B11C-D46B8F21A703.jpeg
EBE6FFA8-4763-4305-8C07-FC2F69C3E1CB.jpeg
CD54B0A9-F18A-4F5A-8ED2-3E0033741B67.jpeg
C1228618-54C2-4C93-B457-04D9BB810F9F.jpeg
868E6CA2-3A83-485A-B075-D1D8A2638A90.jpeg
6C070265-C26F-4CC3-B3A9-BFCC7D6E7370.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doubtful of the Remington custom shop turning out a quarter rib and a banded front sight. It's neat though. I'd check the sear/trigger group, and bolt lugs/face for a better picture of the actual mileage.

I also strongly suspect the work was completed by a third party. I believe that Remington engraved "Custom Shop" under their logo on custom shop guns, but I very well could be wrong on that.

It looks like a nice rifle, and the bolt handle is even on the proper side!

For the sake of anyone next to you when you happen to shoot that rifle (PH, scout or even someone on the shooting range), I sincerely hope the muzzle brake is removable...and that you remove it and install a thread protector. 416RM is mild enough that an average shooter can learn to handle it with proper practice.

I'm guessing that after a few range sessions you will know exactly how the rifle performs...regardless of it being a Remington custom shop piece or not. Give it a go and see how it shoots, that will be the true test.

Looks like a nice rifle, good luck with it. Let us know how it goes.

Looks like it could be a custom shop job when they were done at Dakota. Maybe the new owners there still have build orders with serial numbers

Check the buttstock. If it says Remington, it could still be an H.S. stock but a factory installed or a takeoff someone bought.

Nice warthog......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilliamcoUlt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you