Thoughts on the 9.3 x 62 Mauser

Quaticman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
New member here. I very recently acquired a Husqvarna FN 98 chambered in 9.3 x 62. Just curious as to your thoughts/feedback on this rifle/caliber combination.

FB_IMG_1516227385616.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• Screenshot (243).png
    Screenshot (243).png
    704.7 KB · Views: 692
  • Screenshot (244).png
    Screenshot (244).png
    413.3 KB · Views: 563
  • Screenshot (245).png
    Screenshot (245).png
    516.5 KB · Views: 576
  • Screenshot (246).png
    Screenshot (246).png
    411.2 KB · Views: 524
  • Screenshot (247).png
    Screenshot (247).png
    168.4 KB · Views: 719
  • Screenshot (248).png
    Screenshot (248).png
    460.8 KB · Views: 541
  • Screenshot (249).png
    Screenshot (249).png
    142.4 KB · Views: 871
The 9.3x62 is an awesome round. I've got a 1924 Mauser in 9.3x62. I shoot 286gr at 2250fps. Only shot one red stag and a goat with it so far, but both DRT.
Pondoro Taylor spoke highly of the 9.3x62. You can go upto 320gr with it. It is legal for dangerous game in a number of African countries.
My one came from a farming family in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe, I'm sure it took buffalo etc.

I dont own a 9.3x62, but would love to have one..

My understanding is that it is very close from a ballistics stand point to the .35 whelen.. I do own a .35 whelen and am quickly coming to love that cartridge...

If I could have found a 9.3 barrel at a reasonable price at the time I was building my 35 I would have very likely built my rifle to be a 9.3x62.. I really like the nostalgia associated with the cartridge, and several members here speak highly to its capability in the field..

Currently own 2 and it is my favourite mid bore bolt gun round. My 375 and 338 have been gathering dust in the safe. I have taken a double in 9.3x74 on two safaris and it has taken everything from Diker to eland. My next safari the x62 is going. It is closer to a 375 than 35 IMO. 286gr handloads in my 25 in barrelled custom at 2508fps. The standard quote is that these are safe in my rifle and were worked up slowly. Have fun as it is a great round and husky has always done well.

I have two (plus two 9.3x74R’s - jeez getting ridiculous). I obviously love the round. With a premium bullet in the 286 gr range it will take on anything. For me it is the perfect bear rifle - but only because that is what I have used them on primarily. Put a quality low power variable on that Husqvarna and you will have a fabulous hunting rifle.

Nice rifle and wonderful round. I have a 1930's A-grade Oberndorf Mauser and it seems to do well with 286&300gr softs and solids at 2300 fps. It has accounted for a number of Giraffe and other large African animals.

As for the FN action, they are well known to be the smoothest feeding M98 clones, and arguably together with the ZG47 the finest example of a commercial Mauser type action with a solid receiver sidewall, adding to its strength.

I purchased one this past yr. In CZ 550. Amazing gun. It shoots softer than my 375. Shoots any load under an inch and under 3/4 inch with PRVI , Norma. I shot my Moose with it this year and was very impressed. Because of the history and nostalgia of the cartridge it will be going to Africa with me in 2019.

As I recall, in his book “The Perfect Shot”, Doctari used it on many Cape buffalo and it worked fine. Of course being a veterinarian he knows exactly where to put the bullet.
A friend has used his on a couple of plains game hunts and it worked fine. It is definitely not a long range cartridge, but for bushveld it is ideal. IMO
I believe I read where it was the average mans cartridge of settlers in Africa because it fit the Mauser 98 action. All in all a pretty solid cartridge choice.

And welcome to the forum!

Nothing wrong with either that rifle or the cartridge.
Should see out a lifetime of successful hunting.

I have a Sako Black bear, 20" barrel in 9.3x62 that I use for bush stalking Sambar deer, similar in body size to Waterbuck.

My deer dog is getting sick of the lack of follow ups as none, of about 8, have gone further than about 40yds.

With quality projectiles there are no thin skinned game anywhere that I wouldn't feel comfortable hunting with a 9.3

9.3x62 and it's brother the 9.3x74R are both superb cartridges mild in recoil and they are devastatingly effective with bullets of 286 gr or heavier. They kill much better than what the ballistics suggest.

Nice rifle and, as Dewald noted, they are truly a smooth action. I also have a Husqvarna FN 98 but, it is chambered for .30'06 and I really have it on my mind to have it re-bored to 9.3. I don't have any excuse for one but, it just seems right! ;)

It looks like a Sako 85. But I have never seen a barrel configuration like that.

Nice Rifle and cal a classic..

This my 9.3x62.. Although it now wears a 1.5-6 scope.
View attachment 219134
Great rifle. Exactly the same as mine. They called it the "Arctos" when first released. I put Talley's and a Leica scope on mine, and it will shoot almost anything sub-moa. Liked it so much, I also bought the same rifle in '06.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieTwop

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg