Thoughts on the 9.3 x 62 Mauser

I saw a Husqvarna 9.3x62 at the last gun show and it was there again today. From what I can tell, it is the Model 640 or 649. It was restocked with a laminate stock probably from Boyd's, has a ghost ring rear sight, and is not drilled/tapped for a scope. The finish appears to be a Cerakote matte finish and not the original blued finish. The marked price is $675 but the seller said he'd take $600.

I am torn. Do I grab this one or do I keep scanning the auction sites for a more modern rifle in 9.3x62? I see a Ruger M77RS African in 9.3x62 and a Ruger M77 African in .375 Ruger being auctioned together by Morphys.

Decisions, decisions.....

I saw a Husqvarna 9.3x62 at the last gun show and it was there again today. From what I can tell, it is the Model 640 or 649. It was restocked with a laminate stock probably from Boyd's, has a ghost ring rear sight, and is not drilled/tapped for a scope. The finish appears to be a Cerakote matte finish and not the original blued finish. The marked price is $675 but the seller said he'd take $600.

I am torn. Do I grab this one or do I keep scanning the auction sites for a more modern rifle in 9.3x62? I see a Ruger M77RS African in 9.3x62 and a Ruger M77 African in .375 Ruger being auctioned together by Morphys.

Decisions, decisions.....
That Husky is a nice rifle. Nothing wrong with a ghostring rear sight. should you wish to mount a scope later, S&K makes bases and rings that'll work a treat. Laminate stock? Gives you the option of having it restocked in fine wood at a later date.

Great caliber - it is to Europe what the .375 is to N. America. This caliber caught fire across Africa in the early 1900's & put allot Buff in the salt but sadly falls short on the joules chart to make the Big Boy Bore List for Buff in most countries. This rounds characteristic to punch holes vs. destroy tissue & w/ a broad bullet range from 159grs to 286grs has you caliber suitable for better than 90% of the Animal Plant. I feel the sweet spot is in the 225grs. & tops the list w/ variety 286grs. Have fun ...

Sounds like a decent deal at $600.. but you’re going to put another hundred or two into it by the time you get it drilled and tapped for bases, pick up some decent bases and rings, etc..

I’d love to own a 9.3x62… but I think I could likely find something similar to what you’re describing closer to the $400 range down here in TX..

Less common NA calibers like 300 HH, 9.3x62, etc sell down here, largely due to the density of hunters that travel to Europe and Africa that live in TX I believe… but rifles in those calibers, tend to end up back up for sale at gun shows and in gun shops at fairly discounted prices once the hunt is over.. this is especially true of the lower cost European rifles like zastava, whitworth, etc.. and even more true of the milsurp sporters built on M98, Springfield, P14, etc type actions..

I picked up an absolutely magnificent 300HH built on a p14 action for $300 out the door (including tax, transfer, tics, etc) a few years back… it needed a re-bluing, and I stripped down the stock and refinished out.. so I ended up putting a few hundred more bucks into it by the time I was done.. but for $500 that 300 HH is now one of the best looking (and best shooting) rifles in the safe..

The guy I bought it from was pretty honest with me.. he had bought it off a guy for $300… and had been toting it to guns shows trying to sell it for almost 2 years.. no one wanted a 300 HH.. all they were interested in a 30 magnum was a 300 WM… he just wanted to get his money back out of it at that point..

I was more than happy to help him out

Here are a couple of pictures of the action and markings. I'm thinking it is a 640/649ish HVA. Without taking the rifle out of the stock, I can't tell if it has Belgian proof markings that would indicate that it is a FN action.

HVA 9.3.JPG

Top Action.JPG

It's a model 96/small ring action. Not an FN and not a 98. Some really enjoy the "commercial" (no thumb cut in the left receiver wall) small ring action and state that it makes a good lightweight sporter.
Is a small ring 96 strong enough for the pressures of the 9.3x62? I know it does fine with the 6.5x55.

I’m feeling allot of :love: for the 9.3x62 on AH & all for reason - great medium big bore all-around & that’s cool for a cartridge that’s 115yrs+ in years.

We should all take a moment to ‘thx’ Herr Bock (German Gunsmith) for the 9.3 - designed off the very affordable/dependable Mauser 98 action back then & it’s popularity across Africa caught British gun maker Holland & Holland flat footed! H&H had the African market w/ .450NE so their response = the greatly more popular .375H&H was born. From one great is born another great …

I was all 62 until I shot its brother the 9.3x74 in a CZ Brno O/U rifle & now I’m running down the 74 rabbit hole! Honestly: the bullet variety of 62 makers it the better all-around choice w/ very manageable push recoil.

@ J.Wasmuth: great historic pic of Bock & Buff
@ 264: proof is hooves skyward - great trophies & fun I’m sure!

@jpr9954
The answer is yes it is but is it safe then NO.
YOU NEED A LARGE RING MAUSER TO BE SAFE.
BOB
In the Mauser community, this is an oft-debated topic. Similar to the 6.5x55, 7x57, and 8x57, the 9.3x62 is not typically a high pressure round. I imagine a handloader could stoke it up to higher pressures however. The Husqvarna small ring actions are strong enough for the typical pressures of the 9.3. The "reinforced" sidewall as Clodo mentioned, is claimed to strengthen the action and make it more rigid and the action look more sleek - though my guess is that this was just a cost cutting measure. No thumb cut means one less machining operation. Also, I've often read that the solid sidewall prevents any escaping gas (from a pierced primer) traveling down the bolt raceway from escaping through the traditional thumb cut. This gas would then be directed back towards the bolt end and with the 96's lack of "gas shield" on the bolt sleeve, could exit towards the shooters face. If I understand it correctly, this is one of the safety features Paul Mauser changed when he designed the 98. But one could argue the "commercial" FN 98s would do the same thing and also lack the thumb cut. All I can say is that there are many many followers and users of these 96 actioned guns, and I rarely hear anyone say anything negative about them. They were made with quality Swedish steels and were machined and finished very well by Husqvarna with very accurate barrels to boot. Given that it's a 96 action, I'm not sure if it's cock-on-open or if it's cock-on-close. So that may be something to discuss with the seller if you think it may bother you. As a final comment, I'll say that I have a Husqvarna Model 46 which uses a 96 action and is chambered in 9.3x57. it's a real beauty and almost, dare I say, Rigby-esque. I have no concerns about shooting it safety-wise. However, if it were me and the seller was asking that much money, I would probably keep looking for a 98. Anyway, these are just the opinions of one man...food for thought and best of luck with your decision!

Hello Fallschirmjaeger,

I can´t not agree about the superiority of the M98 Mauser over the M96, in almost all features, control of escaping gases one of the main ones in spite the M96 is the best of the pre-98.
Perhaps these strenghtened M96 actions used in some H 640 have differences with the original M96 ones due to cost cutting measures. That measures are not too many but they are, I think. The M640 retains the cock on closing feature. But I still prefer the M96 original one, specially the later ones post WWI.
About the raw strenght, the Swedish Mauser has been tested (and at one time used by NORMA as the action to test many cartridges, not only the 6,5x55....) at pressures the same as the M98.
By the way, Joël Dorleac, the GREAT french gunsmith at Perpignan, use the M96 Mauser for his light game stalking rifles, even for the .220 Swift, not too shy on pressures! I have seen one in .284 Win....

From Dorleac´s web page:

"Our Fabrication Protocol​

• Light Game Stalking Rifle. Built on a much modified Swedish Mauser 96' or "Small Ring" 98' action, in light calibers from .220 Swift to .275 Rigby, with a 24" light profile barrel and a classic stock with un-tipped short forend, following the pattern of the pre-war H&H or Rigby HV rifles used in Scotland. The Light Stalking Rifle is a more elaborate variation of the preceding, made on a reduced Mauser action with octagonal Böhler Super Blitz barrel and deluxe stock with ebony or black buffalo fittings.
  • The Swedish 96 is by itself a superb foundation for intermediate calibers such as 6.5x57, 7x57 or .284 Winchester."
Best!

CF

Last edited:
I bought a Husqvarna 9.3x57 on a FN '98 action and had it opened to 62. I had 450 into it before I added the Hogue, bolt handle, an 3-pos safety. It's a wonderful gun. See avatar. If I ever had to liquidate, it would be among the last half-dozen I wouldn't. Hold out for a '98.

Tom, I did the same as you. Those models came with great sights, a barrel mounted sling swivel and nice rust blue. I eventually added a 1640 in 9.3x62 as well. They're great guns. I have another one of those Husqvarna 98s in 9.3x57 that was modified prior to my ownership and so is not really a collectors gun anymore. I was thinking of having it opened to x62 as well, but I think I'm just going to move it on. If anyone would have interest in that, send me a PM and we can discuss it. Or I guess I could put it in the classifieds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross