Thoughts on the 9.3 x 62 Mauser

I like those Husqvarna M98 9,3x57. Because all the features noted by Fallschirmjaeger. Like also the short forend and the barrel profile! One of the niciest "stalking" rifles, to me. Perfect to open to 9,3x62!
May ask how many 9,3x62 rounds accepts the magazine of that convertion?

Best!

CF

Thank you Fallschirmjaeger.
Another question: can you explain the meaning of "Fallschirmjaeger"?
Thank you again!

It's a model 96/small ring action. Not an FN and not a 98. Some really enjoy the "commercial" (no thumb cut in the left receiver wall) small ring action and state that it makes a good lightweight sporter.
My Husqvarna 640 9,3x62 is a no thumb cut FN 98 action so the '96 was not the only one sans the "cut". I love my rifle it is easy to shoot and superbly accurate and I would buy another in a heartbeat. I think I paid $600 for mine IIRC but that was several years ago now. My rifle was in original condition when I bought it and I added a Timney trigger, Dayton Traister safety and drilled and tapped it for scope mounts. The iron sights aren't the best but serviceable I suppose, otherwise a worthy rifle in all respects!

Lovely caliber for all plains game ( including eland ) . Many also used it with success against Cape Buffalo in countries where it’s legal to do so ( like Mozambique & Zimbabwe ) . I like the Norma Oryx and RWS TUG for the 9.3 mm Mauser . And heavy for caliber bullets like 286 Gr and 293 Gr . Best rifle I’ve seen in this caliber , was a John Rigby & Co. Highland Stalker built on a Waffen Prechtll Mauser 98 action . I like to consider it an European .338 Winchester Magnum ( even though it precedes the .338 by several decades ) .

I’ve also seen it in Europe a lot . Especially for hunting the Scandanavian moose .

I have personally only taken my 9.3x62 to Africa once but I’d do it again and never bat an eye. I have a Husqvarna 146 and I shoot Woodleigh 286gr RNSN at 2400fps hand loading with Varget. Took impala, gemsbok, giraffe, warthog, and springbok with it. Love the caliber and love the history behind it.

Lovely caliber for all plains game ( including eland ) . Many also used it with success against Cape Buffalo in countries where it’s legal to do so ( like Mozambique & Zimbabwe ) . I like the Norma Oryx and RWS TUG for the 9.3 mm Mauser . And heavy for caliber bullets like 286 Gr and 293 Gr . Best rifle I’ve seen in this caliber , was a John Rigby & Co. Highland Stalker built on a Waffen Prechtll Mauser 98 action . I like to consider it an European .338 Winchester Magnum ( even though it precedes the .338 by several decades ) .

I’ve also seen it in Europe a lot . Especially for hunting the Scandanavian moose .

That is the exact rifle I have Hunter-Habib, and I concur, it is perfectly matched to the cartridge.

I have personally only taken my 9.3x62 to Africa once but I’d do it again and never bat an eye. I have a Husqvarna 146 and I shoot Woodleigh 286gr RNSN at 2400fps hand loading with Varget. Took impala, gemsbok, giraffe, warthog, and springbok with it. Love the caliber and love the history behind it.
It's a SUPERB calibre. Dropped a cape buff with mine. No sweat!

It's a SUPERB calibre. Dropped a cape buff with mine. No sweat!

From what I’ve been hearing from the .375 H&H guys, the 9.3x62 is only good for plains game animals, and marginal for the big PG.
Now, what you relayed to us about going after cape buff seems to me to be the right amount of cartridge along with the right rifle!
Thank you for sharing your account!

Hawk

My wife dropped her Cape buffalo with one shot with the 9.3x62.

That’s outstanding!

Yep! I knew that the ol’ 9.3x62 isn’t as feeble as some make it out to be.
Add a little more velocity, and the 9.3x62 becomes a different animal, just like I learned from Bob and the .35 Whelen.
I bet the performance is quite eye opening with 285 - 286 gr bullets going into the 2400 - 2500 fps range.
On other forums, the guys like to use RL-17 and H414 (760) to get the heavy bullets up in the mid 2400 fps range out of the 9.3x62. It makes a good thing even better in the 9.3x62!

Hawk

That’s outstanding!

Add a little more velocity, and the 9.3x62 becomes a different animal, just like I learned from Bob and the .35 Whelen.
I bet the performance is quite eye opening with 285 - 286 gr bullets going into the 2400 - 2500 fps range.
On other forums, the guys like to use RL-17 and H414 (760) to get the heavy bullets up in the mid 2400 fps range out of the 9.3x62. It makes a good thing even better in the 9.3x62!

Hawk
Very very true. My pet load is using Varget with a Woodleigh 286gr bullet and it’s at exactly 2400 fps with no pressure signs whatsoever.

My wife was shooting 286 gr Swift A-Frames at 2,400. It worked extremely well. It should be noted that she waited for a broadside shot and put the bullet exactly where it needed to be.

From what I’ve been hearing from the .375 H&H guys, the 9.3x62 is only good for plains game animals, and marginal for the big PG.
Now, what you relayed to us about going after cape buff seems to me to be the right amount of cartridge along with the right rifle!
Thank you for sharing your account!

Hawk
Yes I've heard that too about the 375HH. However, Kevin Robertson in his book "Africa's most dangerous" states that his Brno 9.3x62 "client" rifle has taken over 600 cape buffalo. And just like when using the 375HH, placement of that first round is critical, and always have your PH backing you with his "charge-stopper" if things go awry. Robertson also points out that the 9.3x62 is just as accurate and effective and is an ideal "client" rifle for those with light frames, or, recoil shy. As I have a 458 Win Mag, the action is the same length, so there's no chance of me short-stroking it in the heat of the moment, as I may do if I had a 375HH.

I've put a pic of the buff I took with my FN9.3x62 in my media library here. One shot, quatering right frontal. Slipped the Woodleigh 286gr RNSN projectile inside the right shoulder, and it went through the top of the heart, and was later recovered by the off rear rib. That was about 40" of straight line penetration. The buff turned, walked head down for 20yds, wobbled, and rolled over - it's currently my biggest buff to date!! (y)

Last edited:
That’s outstanding!

Hawk
Yer gonna hurt peoples feelings talking like that…….. everyone knows that the only thing you can kill a Cape buffalo with is a mountain howitzer……

A few hours ago, idly watching YouTube, I found two great videos on the calibre for anyone who's interested:

1) Ron Spomer's: "The surprising 9.3x62 rifle cartridge"

2) Bill Wilson's: "The Ruger 77 in 9.3x62mm: Bill Wilson's favourite hunting rifle".

Yer gonna hurt peoples feelings talking like that…….. everyone knows that the only thing you can kill a Cape buffalo with is a mountain howitzer……

Well….

The TRUTH hurts sometimes. Doesn’t make it any less true though. LOL

Hawk

A few hours ago, idly watching YouTube, I found two great videos on the calibre for anyone who's interested:

1) Ron Spomer's: "The surprising 9.3x62 rifle cartridge"

2) Bill Wilson's: "The Ruger 77 in 9.3x62mm: Bill Wilson's favourite hunting rifle".

I found those same 2 videos long before I bought my Sauer 100 Black in 9.3x62!

Bill Wilson is a very soft spoken kinda person, and not flamboyant or a braggart. I took his advice and experience to heart a lot more, because of how much he likes his 9.3x62! He was the deciding factor on me getting one.
Plus, there’s a guy outta Canada, by the name of Bob Mitchell, and he got a Tikka T3 lite, in 9.3x62, and did load development for his, and is running 285 - 286’s in the high 2500’s - low 2600’s. He’s running 320’s in the 2450’s, all with RL-17, and he has used some CFE223 too.
He absolutely loves the 9.3x62! He’s taken black, and Grizzly Bears with it, even at some distance, and anchored them extremely quick.
I love it when Ron shoots his 9.3x62 out to 400 yds, and does it fairly easily, and hits his gong! I can tell you,from watching a lot of his videos, Ron isn’t a great shot, but with the 9.3x62, he made it look easy, unless that was some clever editing.
John Barsness, another one who loves the 9.3x62, loads his 285 - 286’s up to 60k psi, and gets dramatic results with the velocities in the high 2400’s on African game, and here in the States as well.

Hawk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you