Thoughts on the 9.3 x 62 Mauser

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Quaticman, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Daga Boy

Daga Boy AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Yes its allowed here, Namibia and in zim. In fact I think its permitted everywhere in practice even though a number of countries stipulate .375.

2. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    May I ask for a little more on that story, sounds interesting! What part of the country was this?

3. Timbo

Timbo AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BGRC PFRC & SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia (WA & NT), Zimbabwe, Zambia, South Africa
    PM sent. (y)

4. Desperatezulu

Desperatezulu AH Veteran

Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, UK
    Adding my 2c on the x62.... Living and hunting in RSA I get to enjoy the different terrains. I have a 300 mag (H&H version of course:whistle:) which handles the largest plains dwellers at distance. I have a 416 Rigby for the bigger boys but the rifle is heavy and despite the weight it still packs a lot of punch at the butt end, so it's not so much fun as a bushveld rifle. So that's how I ended up with the 9.3...

I held out for ages (at least a year, which is more than any gun nut can wait) for a fullstock rifle. But just couldn't find anything suitable. Gun laws being what they are in RSA means that imports of new guns are unpredictable and no local gun-makers are keen for fullstock projects. Eventually a well-priced new CZ crossed my path and my patience being long since exhausted I bought it. A conventionally stocked rifle with the 23.6" barrel. While it wasn't necessarily my first choice rifle the positives are that the CZ is a good tough working gun and a bushveld gun is always going to fall victim to the thorns and a few bumps, so a few scrapes aren't a train smash.

My thinking was that the 9.3 could also work as a back-up DG rifle if the 416 was out of action. I have tried a variety of bullets in it so far - mostly 285/286 grainers: PMP (locally made cup n core), PRVI, Norma Oryx, Peregrine 230gr, RWS 293gr TUG and Woodleigh 320gr. Also some Barnes banded solids.
    The PMP have proven to be accurate (close to 0.5" grouping at 100m) so I've fired off a lot of those - best grouping around 2350f/s although I've pushed them a bit faster. I shoot most of the 286s between 2350 and 2400. Being a short-range bush gun, speed really is secondary to accuracy. Given the accuracy of my combo, I would happily take shots out to 250m with confidence.

One drawback of the lightweight CZ (just over 3kg/around 7lbs) is that the recoil is a bit snappy off the bench. No issues in the field but shooting lots of rounds at the range gets old.

From a hunting perspective, the 9.3 is a very effective killer in the bush. I've mostly shot smaller game like impala and warthogs to test the gun/bullet combos out. Even the PMP bullets, which have a poor reputation in the faster calibres here, have performed very well. The relatively low velocity means that the toughest premiums and monos are a not necessity - not for non-DG anyway. I've had quite a few bang-flops even on heart/lung shots, which are not the norm. The bullets I've recovered have demonstrated perfect mushrooms - unless significant bone has been hit, the bullets usually pass through (and these have been conventional soft cup n cores). I suspect monos may well be less effective because they may not mushroom readily. I haven't shot any game with the heavy Woodleighs yet, so no feedback on those.

I would choose the most accurate bullet for the rifle and hunt with that - I wouldn't worry about how 'premium' that bullet was. Obviously with bigger DG different rules would prevail.

Velo Dog and bruce moulds like this.

5. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Is yours a CZ 550 LUX model?

6. Desperatezulu

Desperatezulu AH Veteran

Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, UK
    Mmm not actually sure. I think it's just the standard model. It has the European sloping/hogsback stock. It came with a plastic magazine floorplate which I had changed to steel when I had my gunsmith give it the once-over and smooth up the action.

JPbowhunter likes this.