Thoughts: A rifle battery for a 28 day Safari hunt...

Firstly, as I've clearly stated I have not hunted Tanzania, but thanked you for your professional experience in putting me right regarding Tanzania's laws.

Secondly - and no offense - but I legally hunted a buffalo in SA (also clearly identified in my prior post) with two qualified PHs licensed to take DG: the Owner/Operator and one of his PH's. Neither raised any concerns about minimum calibres with me using a 9.3x62 at any point during the hunt or since. Furthermore, PH Kevin Robertson has published that he uses a 9.3x62, for those recoil conscious clients, which he also states does the job as effectively as a .375HH would. I don't know why the 9.3x62 raises your bile, but as far as I know, it's not an illegal calibre to use in SA. If it is, I'll happily PM you the names of both PHs so you can take the matter up with them and PHASA. Thank you.

You miss the point..

We are talking 28 days hunting, 3 Buff, lion and leopard in Tanzania, not buffalo in SA....the legality of which would be dependent on which province, not that that have anything to with regards to suggesting the 9.3x62 mm for DG in Tanzania...

And yes, 9.3x62 mm is not legal for use on Cape buffalo in all provinces of SA...

9.3x62 mm is a great caliber but not legal in Tanzania for the mentioned game...

You miss the point..

We are talking 28 days hunting, 3 Buff, lion and leopard in Tanzania, not buffalo in SA....the legality of which would be dependent on which province, not that that have anything to with regards to suggesting the 9.3x62 mm for DG in Tanzania...

And yes, 9.3x62 mm is not legal for use on Cape buffalo in all provinces of SA...

9.3x62 mm is a great caliber but not legal in Tanzania for the mentioned game...
Sorry, but you've missed the point. If you took time to read my prior post, I CLEARLY mentioned taking a buff in SA (obviously in a legal province) and thanked you for clarifying Tanzania's rules for me. This not only acknowledged the different country's laws, but alone nullified the need for your specific - and patronising - scenario in response to belabour the point. Again, thank you.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm 8 years old again and listening to my parents argue.
Yeah, good times.
Call me when it's over.

Sorry, but you've missed the point. If you took time to read my prior post, I CLEARLY mentioned taking a buff in SA (obviously in a legal province) and thanked you for clarifying Tanzania's rules for me. This not only acknowledged the different country's laws, but alone nullified the need for your specific - and patronising - scenario in response to belabour the point. Again, thank you.

I’m missing something, I’ve gone back and read the OP and see no mention of Tanzania. Clearly the 9.3x62 is effective and legal in some countries.

You miss the point..

Sorry, responded to the wrong post, where did Tanzania come into the picture? I didn’t see any mention of it in the OP.

Sorry IvW, this seems to be from a different thread. I must have missed something in the discussion. I agree that we should not use the 9.3 where it is not legal.

Now, Tanzania allows 3 rifles and a shotgun. Big limitation is the airline 11 lbs of ammo which is why I'd bring a girlfriend as an ammo mule.

However, that means no layovers at RSA. Luckily Emirates, Qatar and Turkish airlines fly there, Plus those 3 airlines have the best business class accommodations and lounges as well.

No worries, but 28 days would be Tanzania, as per this thread as well.....including when talking 3 Buff and a lion, they get cheaper the more you hunt....

No worries, but 28 days would be Tanzania, as per this thread as well.....including when talking 3 Buff and a lion, they get cheaper the more you hunt....

When we did the 30 day hunt we had an ele..4 buff....lion..leopard.. Hippo...croc....and two of a number of other species... think it was done as a 21 day licence plus a 7 day licence..... And in those days the game scouts required ration animals shot for them and their families in the scout camps.....sure things are tighter these days when it comes to things like that....

500 Jeff Brno ZKK 602
375 H&H Brno ZKK 602
and 12ga shotgun
or drop the 375 H&H and the shottie and take
9.3x74R/12ga combination-excellent bird hunting to be had.....especially in 28 days...
IvW
What shotgun/shot size combination do you use for African geese shooting ?
Your combination gun ?

IvW
What shotgun/shot size combination do you use for African geese shooting ?
Your combination gun ?

Rock pigeon and doves, 7/7.5 28 gram, only doves even 9
Francolin, Spur fowl 6 32/34 gram
Ducks, Guinea fowl 4/5 32/34 gram, (often 5 in first barrel and 4 in second barrel depending how they fly
Egyptian Geese 3 32/34 gram ducks and gees mixed 3/4 32/34 gram
Only Spur wing geese step down to 1 32/34 gram

Problem is you can often have a rather diverse of birds depending where you hunt. Sometimes for spur fowl/francolin/guinea fowl 5 or 6 would be a good compromise or 3 when ducks and geese are prevalent.

AAA is not so good here for Geese.

As with all things many will have there own opinions.

I am happily struggling with this question. Well, 21 days anyway;)

3 buffalo, leopard, hopefully lion, possibly elephant, and everything else down to the real prize, a dik dik!

470 double for sure. Probably makes the most sense to take a 375 along.... And a shotgun. And I'll likely take a 4th. Struggling on that. A couple of my favorites are 300 win mag, 338 win mag, even a 30-06 or 7mm Rem mag. I have each of those in Ruger Express models and live them. Even a 22 hornet might be really handy. Then again the 275 Rigby would be more nostalgic... or 1895 in 405 Winchester with peep sight!

I am happily struggling with this question. Well, 21 days anyway;)

3 buffalo, leopard, hopefully lion, possibly elephant, and everything else down to the real prize, a dik dik!

470 double for sure. Probably makes the most sense to take a 375 along.... And a shotgun. And I'll likely take a 4th. Struggling on that. A couple of my favorites are 300 win mag, 338 win mag, even a 30-06 or 7mm Rem mag. I have each of those in Ruger Express models and live them. Even a 22 hornet might be really handy. Then again the 275 Rigby would be more nostalgic... or 1895 in 405 Winchester with peep sight!

Well, I guess the light rifle depends on the length of the shot. The .375H&H is good out to 300 yards for PG and anything further you'd need the .300 Win mag.

If the length of the shots are shorter then take whatever you like for PG. And the .375 can back up the heavy and the light (I'd take some solid rounds for it).

My dilemma was about the medium. I had a choice of the .458, .416 and the .375. My priority being the DG I picked the .458 as with the 258 grain CEB tipped raptor it still can back up the light, but main purpose is the cats at dusk with the 420 grain CEB raptors and be the backup for buffalo if somehow the shot is not practical with the .500 NE.

That would be a dream safari... I would go with one of two options.

1) 270 win loaded hot with 130 gn Nosler ballistic tips for distance on small antelope/baboons. 338 win mag loaded with 250gn accubond for heavier antelope. 416 Rigby with 400 gn partitions and Nosler solids for dangerous game. Namely because this is what I have access to and it covers the whole range of what I could need.

2) fantasy lineup would be 500 NE Heym double, 450 Rigby bolt action, 30 win mag.

That would be a dream safari... I would go with one of two options.

1) 270 win loaded hot with 130 gn Nosler ballistic tips for distance on small antelope/baboons. 338 win mag loaded with 250gn accubond for heavier antelope. 416 Rigby with 400 gn partitions and Nosler solids for dangerous game. Namely because this is what I have access to and it covers the whole range of what I could need.

2) fantasy lineup would be 500 NE Heym double, 450 Rigby bolt action, 30 win mag.

Your second choice but swop the 450 rigby for the 416 rigby..... Pretty near perfect... plus a shotgun.. :D Beers:

.404 Jeffery in a custom Montana Rifle 1999
.350 Rigby Magnum in a Custom Dakota 76
.303 British in a custom Wichester M 70 Claasic

I have all three of these and, like myself, my cartridge choices have gotten older and slower over the years. It feels right to use these legendary rounds in the gamefields where their reputations were forged.

Come to think of it....

Verney Carron O/U double with the following barrel sets....

450/400 NE 3"(400 Jeffery), fitted with QD scope/Aimpoint Micro
9.3x74R/7x57R mixed in one barrel set(Bergstutzen), fitted with QD scope
12ga/12ga 3", with interchangeable chokes

One gun and case, 3 sets of barrels, 4 calibers.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg