Thoughts: A rifle battery for a 28 day Safari hunt...

For 28d multiple game:
470NE with 20ga shotgun barrels (buy shotgun ammo in Africa)
R8 with 375H&H and 300RUM barrel Std Wt
This fits in one custom case and makes weight & size for business class

If traveling with girlfriend we share ammo and guns
we add a 2nd case with
9.3x74R double with 20ga barrel
R8 375H&H plus 257Wby barrel

I´ll keep it simple .375HH and .270W/7x57.

My personal three gun battery: two classic African calibers and a nouveau classic :whistle:

404 Jeffery: Win M70 Super Grade

375 Ruger: Ruger Hawkeye w/ 23 inch barrel

7x57: Win M70 Super Grade

My personal three gun battery: two classic African calibers and a nouveau classic :whistle:

404 Jeffery: Win M70 Super Grade

375 Ruger: Ruger Hawkeye w/ 23 inch barrel

7x57: Win M70 Super Grade
Yeah, real shocker with that mid caliber choice. ;)
Love the classic bookends.

Your favorite big bore and a scoped 375/9.3. Skip the light rifle - that’s the one that’ll be in your hands when you see that awesome dagga boy when you aren’t expecting him!

I think it is classic Africa to think about a 2 or three gun safari. My question is, when you get out of the truck on what may be an all-day stalk, which gun are you going to grab? That is the gun you should take, anything else is just extra luggage. Having said that, I will be taking my Blaser R8 on my next safari with a .30-06 and a 416 ruger. of course I will decide at the truck which configuration I will be taking for the day. If I was taking a third it would be a .375H&H and that is probably the one I would carry all day.

I think it is classic Africa to think about a 2 or three gun safari. My question is, when you get out of the truck on what may be an all-day stalk, which gun are you going to grab? That is the gun you should take, anything else is just extra luggage. Having said that, I will be taking my Blaser R8 on my next safari with a .30-06 and a 416 ruger. of course I will decide at the truck which configuration I will be taking for the day. If I was taking a third it would be a .375H&H and that is probably the one I would carry all day.

@k-ma that's what a gun bearer is for............

upload_2020-4-20_5-44-43.png

so...if i was going on this safari and I was then to take guns I own
my blaser R8, 416 rem mag and 300 win mag barrels, easy as that and can shoot anything on Gods green earth with that combo

man i need to hunt soon, this lockdown is driving me nuts

If it was me,I'd take my:
- 458 Win Mag with 500grRNSP and FMJs,
- 9.3x62 loaded with 286gr RNSPs,
- .30/06 for the lighter game with either 150gr or 180gr PP SNs.

I know I'm going to cop HELL for saying it, but if I had take only ONE rifle, my choice would be the 9.3x62 - on the grounds that it's capable of taking everything on the menu, and anyway I'd always be backed up by the PH and his charge stopping bang-stick!! :whistle:

Last edited:
If it was me,I'd take my:
- 458 Win Mag with 500grRNSP and FMJs,
- 9.3x62 loaded with 286gr RNSPs,
- .30/06 for the lighter game with either 150gr or 180gr PP SNs.

I know I'm going to cop HELL for saying it, but if I had take only ONE rifle, my choice would be the 9.3x62 - on the grounds that it's capable of taking everything on the menu, and I'd always be backed up by the PH and his charge stopping bang-stick!! :whistle:

You would be breaking the law and is something that is not recommended as a visiting hunter in an African country. Something goes wrong, you and the PH could end up having a serious problem...not recommended.

For a hunt including the animals mentioned and if taking only one rifle would have to be .375, irrespective of how big the PH's bang stick is......

The minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Tanzania is .375 caliber for dangerous game or big game hunting.

You would be breaking the law and is something that is not recommended as a visiting hunter in an African country. Something goes wrong, you and the PH could end up having a serious problem...not recommended.

For a hunt including the animals mentioned and if taking only one rifle would have to be .375, irrespective of how big the PH's bang stick is......

The minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Tanzania is .375 caliber for dangerous game or big game hunting.
Ah! Not having hunted Tanzania myself, I'm not conversant with their little rule book!! Thanks for the info. However last year in SA no one batted an eyelid when I used my 9.3 to roll my buff. Different countries, different rules - but same species?

Ah! Not having hunted Tanzania myself, I'm not conversant with their little rule book!! Thanks for the info. However last year in SA no one batted an eyelid when I used my 9.3 to roll my buff. Different countries, different rules - but same species?

Rolled your buff?? Yip has been done with even smaller calibers, is it legal NO...

Now imagine you did not roll your buff, the buff gets hold of the tracker and then kills him, you run away, the PH fails to kill the buff, gets nailed and ends up in serious condition and cannot hunt ever again, you sneak back and the buff has left...or you do not run away and end up in the PH's position....

Would you want to be part of that mess? Me not, so stick to the legal minimum calibers for the intended game hunted for whichever country you will be hunting in...

Much the same as driving a car without a driving licence.....until something goes wrong, first question, licence please.....

Well, our batteries are actually very similar. The .300 RUM is just a tad less hotter than a .300 Wby. My .458 B&M with 18" barrel is very similar to your .416 Rigby in ballistics except a larger diameter bullet, and while .500 NE is a bit heavier than a .470 NE, it is what I have.
The .300 RUM is less hot than the .300 weatherby mag ?? The .300 Rum is Hotter and has more case capacity

Besides, if I was paying for a 28 day safari in Tanzania, I would rather be appropriately armed to kill all the animals I have booked instead of relying on the PH and his charge stopping bang stick, not my idea of such a safari or any other for that matter.....

A PH would not want to get into shooting the clients animals in any case, unless it is totally necessary. Therefor it makes sense to stick to the minimum calibers...

Rolled your buff?? Yip has been done with even smaller calibers, is it legal NO...

Now imagine you did not roll your buff, the buff gets hold of the tracker and then kills him, you run away, the PH fails to kill the buff, gets nailed and ends up in serious condition and cannot hunt ever again, you sneak back and the buff has left...or you do not run away and end up in the PH's position....

Would you want to be part of that mess? Me not, so stick to the legal minimum calibers for the intended game hunted for whichever country you will be hunting in...

Much the same as driving a car without a driving licence.....until something goes wrong, first question, licence please.....

Well I did say I'd cop HELL and boy was I right!! :ROFLMAO:

Firstly, as I've clearly stated I have not hunted Tanzania, but thanked you for your professional experience in putting me right regarding Tanzania's laws.

Secondly - and no offense - but I legally hunted a buffalo in SA (also clearly identified in my prior post) with two qualified PHs licensed to take DG: the Owner/Operator and one of his PH's. Neither raised any concerns about minimum calibres with me using a 9.3x62 at any point during the hunt or since. Furthermore, PH Kevin Robertson has published that he uses a 9.3x62, for those recoil conscious clients, which he also states does the job as effectively as a .375HH would. I don't know why the 9.3x62 raises your bile, but as far as I know, it's not an illegal calibre to use in SA. If it is, I'll happily PM you the names of both PHs so you can take the matter up with them and PHASA. Thank you.

The .300 RUM is less hot than the .300 weatherby mag ?? The .300 Rum is Hotter and has more case capacity

In factory loadings .300 Weatherby is hotter. Reloading, .300 RUM exceeds it a tad though not by much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois