Thermal scope questions

jimmywallstreet

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
OK fellow participants I’ve got a question…
I am seeking out a thermal scope, and wanted to get some honest advice on the difference in say generation three technology versus 4 versus 5? Is there really that much of a difference between last year‘s models and this year‘s models with respect to clarity, effective range, and overall improvements? i’m also not interested in spending five grand or more to get a military grade version and appreciate any guidance.

What sort of budget do you have? and what sort of ranges are you planning on using it at? and for what specific purposes (size of game? location and time of year? etc)...

If youre talking hog hunting at night at ranges of 200 yards or less in Texas mid spring time.. pretty much any thermal in the 256 class or better will do what you need.. you'll be able to spot heat at much greater distances than that.. and within 200 yards be able to actually identify the target, know what you are shooting at, etc. (situation dependent.. the cooler the weather the easier to do.. )..

If youre talking about trying to spot deer at 400-600 yards 45 minutes before first light to determine whether there is a big stag/buck in the herd or not so you can position yourself in the best possible place once there is legal shooting light (similar to what our guide did in Ireland last year).. youre going to need to step into a higher end optic..

the way over simplified answer is "it depends".. a $1500 thermal can handle the job for the majority of scenarios that most people are going to commonly encounter... but depending on what you want to do.. $5K might be your entry point..

Thanks for the response. My main focus would be night hunting for hogs or predator hunting here in Texas. My budget I suppose would be 2 to 4K. I guess my biggest factor is wanting a scope that has decent or good to impressive resolution out to probably 200 yards max, I tried to embrace night vision first but it seems like I was always too far behind in my willingness to pay the price needed to capture the best quality at the time back in the generation two or gen three years. I wasn’t sure if it’s the same way with thermal in today’s world?

Not sure if you can get these in the states. But have a look at the InRay clip on models. They just clip onto the front of your scope. No need to rezero you can start hunting at dusk and carry on into night.
The C series will be what your looking for. https://infirayuk.co.uk/collections/thermal-imaging-clip-on-attachments

Or you could do the same thing with QD mounts. Used alongside your thermal handheld.
Was out the other night with the MAH50. Great bit of kit.
Good luck.

Attachments

• Thermal Imaging Clip On Attachments.pdf
    789.7 KB · Views: 43
There are a lot of very good options in the 2-4K range..

On the lower end I'd look at AGM and Sightmark options in the 384 resolution range.. that will get you out to 200 yards easily with enough clarity to tell what you are looking at, where the kill zone is, etc...

Honestly 256 resolution will also get it done at 200 yards.. but not with the same resolution..

If youre willing to get closer to 4K.. consider a 640 resolution optic..

You can get a Pulsar Thermion that fits into standard 30mm rings.. that is capable of handling anything up to a 375 H&H in recoil.. and heat detection capability out to 1800 yards for just under $3K (EuroOptic has them on sale right now)..

a buddy of mine has one.. he is a serious thermal snob.. has some very high end units.. and he advises the thermion is every bit as good, and better than some of the more expensive units.. he absolutely loves his..

Attachments

• Pulsar Thermion 2 XQ35 Pro Thermal Riflescope PL76541 For Sale | SHIPS FREE - EuroOptic.com.pdf
    548.4 KB · Views: 32
Looks like they don’t cover you guys but there must be something similar over there. QD mounts would be the way to go. Although the clip on the front of your scope is so handy. No need to change rifle or scope. Just mount on the front clamp down and your into it. From day scope to thermal in 30sec

Looks like they don’t cover you guys but there must be something similar over there. QD mounts would be the way to go. Although the clip on the front of your scope is so handy. No need to change rifle or scope. Just mount on the front clamp down and your into it. From day scope to thermal in 30sec
Thanks. I’ll check them out

On the lower end I'd look at AGM and Sightmark options in the 384 resolution range.. that will get you out to 200 yards easily with enough clarity to tell what you are looking at, where the kill zone is, etc...

Honestly 256 resolution will also get it done at 200 yards.. but not with the same resolution..

You can get a Pulsar Thermion that fits into standard 30mm rings.. that is capable of handling anything up to a 375 H&H in recoil.. and heat detection capability out to 1800 yards for just under $3K (EuroOptic has them on sale right now)..

a buddy of mine has one.. he is a serious thermal snob.. has some very high end units.. and he advises the thermion is every bit as good, and better than some of the more expensive units.. he absolutely loves his..

Thanks for the info

You may find similar in the US but just branded under a different name.
for example see here if you scroll down the Liemke 50 is the same as the InfiRay 50 might look different in the pic but there not.

Attachments

• Thermal Imaging Clip-On Systems - Optics-Trade.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 35
The question you're asking is a matter of resolution and sensor size (which equates to field of view), without wasting too much time and effort my best advice would be to buy a small cheap spotter, something like ATNs OTIS line (lower mag the better) and play around with it. Then you'll have a better grasp of the world you're stepping into without all of the upfront cost. PS, you need a spotter (monocular) and a rifle sight to be effective, so this checks one of those bases.

Look at Fusion Thermal, extremely high quality stuff for reasonable $.

I have a fusion thermal scope and it is unbelievable quality. I really use it for a monocular during deer season just for fun before daylight. What I would really like is an inexpensive clip on for use under 100 yards. Many of us do not record or do anything but shoot hogs under 100 yards!!

This is what I am looking at. I want one that looks like a regular scope for traveling and uses normal scope rings so I can go on and off our Blaser R8's with it.
I too have questions about quality differences from $3k-$4k-$5k? It is confusing with so many manufacturers and models these days. I just want a guru to tell me what to buy!

Attachments

• Best Thermal Scopes of 2023 | Field & Stream.pdf
    253.9 KB · Views: 28
If you’re willing to go $5k look at pulsar and iray IMO… very high quality, very durable… and extremely capable… 640 resolution will let you see heat out to almost 2000 yards and get a clear picture on what you’re looking at several hundred yards away…

Lots of options available in terms of whether you want the optic to Bluetooth to your phone, have a built in range finder, record audio and video, etc etc… those add costs.. that’s generally what’s going to drive cost differences once you get to the 640 resolution level…

I’m definitely not a guru.. but have done a lot of recent research and talked to a few gurus… if you’re wanting something that is high quality that also fits into 30mm rings I think pulsars thermion line is probably the best option…

Attachments

• Scopes & Optics | SCHEELS.com.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
OK fellow participants I’ve got a question…
I am seeking out a thermal scope, and wanted to get some honest advice on the difference in say generation three technology versus 4 versus 5? Is there really that much of a difference between last year‘s models and this year‘s models with respect to clarity, effective range, and overall improvements? i’m also not interested in spending five grand or more to get a military grade version and appreciate any guidance.
Yes. The site picture improves every generation.

I run pulsar. I have thermion duo Dxp50 and the helion xp50 pro handheld. It is amazing how far tech has come.

IMG_1440.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you