The Sabatti Double Rifle

With just a bit of looking, you can find a Blaser S2 for just a third more. It doesn't look traditional, but it is accurate, ergonomically a joy, has the Blaser protective finish, shoots every time the trigger is pulled, and uses Blaser mounts for either a scope or red-dot sight. Did I mention you can get additional barrels that fit without needing a gunsmith?
I paid a visit to the Blaser booth at SHOT Show specifically to check out the S2 and came away thoroughly impressed! That is a fine piece of hardware. Well, I was thoroughly impressed with the S2. The one and only guy in the booth, not so much. A complete jerk to the point of actually being rude. WTF?
Anyway, one time to the shoulder and I was getting hooked. The big white bead front sight just naturally found it's way into the cradle of the rear. This fine double mounts with natural ease and balances very nicely. Even though the rifle was chambered in .500 NE and I'm not exactly a bruiser at 5'8" and 160, it felt very comfortable and natural. I really wanted to shoot that gun :)
Even though the S2 may be a little unconventional as double rifles go, I would own one in a heartbeat! Hopefully it will be an option someday. Until then I guess I'll have to just fondle one once a year :D

Reactions: dai
When it comes to the Sabatti and regulation, you either get lucky or you don't. Given the price point, they're obviously not going to put a lot of time into the process (not to mention the cost of ammo).

I paid a visit to the Blaser booth at SHOT Show specifically to check out the S2 and came away thoroughly impressed! That is a fine piece of hardware. Well, I was thoroughly impressed with the S2. The one and only guy in the booth, not so much. A complete jerk to the point of actually being rude. WTF?

i also checked out the Blaser booth but wasnt as impressed with the S2. i dont like the automatic decocking feature. however i can share your view on the guy running the booth... he very rude!

-matt

Month ago my SA export/import permit was re-done, apparently now they applied for export permit in Italy again. Anyway, rifle is still not here. If it eventually comes and it is still not regulated, I am tempted to brake it in the shop where I bought it and send the video on youtube.

Matt they say one should never judge a book by the cover. The guy running the Blaser booth was no doubt judging if people could afford one of his products. I could buy them two at a time all day but you wouldn't guess it by the way I look or dress. Big mistake on the company part putting someone like that in their booth at such a big and important event. Everyone should be treated as if they were buying the product that day at an event. I hope Blaser reads forums like this and does something about that rep.

Dark I wish you the best with your rifle.

I think you are entirely correct CAustin. I hope I don't look or act like this guys idea of "his" customer ;)
Because this is a $13,000 dollar firearm I asked if I might handle it, rather than just picking it up. Without a word to me this guy picked up the gun, handed it to me (without breaking it open I might add), turned his back and walked off. I had to actually go chase him down to ask a couple questions. After about the second condescending response I handed him the gun and walked off without a backward glance. (n) o_O :mad:

IdaRam you did exactly what I would have done. Had a new car salesman treat me that way 24 years ago. So what did I do.....??? Went to the next town over bought the vehicle and came back and drove it through his lot honking the horn. Guess he got the idea that he missed the sale.

I don't know enough about double rifles to say one way or another but the Merkel product sure looks and feels nice. Picked one up in Cabelas and the guy in the gun room was real nice about me doing so and offered to help me. It was an $11,000 gun and that guy wanted to sell it even with me in an old sweat shirt and worn jeans. If you ask me that's how it should be.

Picked one up in Cabelas and the guy in the gun room was real nice about me doing so and offered to help me. It was an $11,000 gun and that guy wanted to sell it even with me in an old sweat shirt and worn jeans. If you ask me that's how it should be.
With ya brother! Some people get it, some people never will.

I think you are entirely correct CAustin. I hope I don't look or act like this guys idea of "his" customer ;)
Because this is a $13,000 dollar firearm I asked if I might handle it, rather than just picking it up. Without a word to me this guy picked up the gun, handed it to me (without breaking it open I might add), turned his back and walked off. I had to actually go chase him down to ask a couple questions. After about the second condescending response I handed him the gun and walked off without a backward glance. (n) o_O :mad:
Wasn't familiar with the S2, but just looked on Eurooptic website and found them for $7000. Is this the same gun you guys are talking about for $13000?

Not sure as I said I didn't know enough about doubles to argue the aspects of good, better, best if you will. The Merkel rifle at Cabelas was $11,000 brand new. Did you see an S2 new in the box for $7,000?

I just went to the euro optics website and looked at the S2's. Yup, that's the gun I'm talking about. Holy Smokes! That seems like a heck of a price. I am not familiar enough with Blasers in general and S2's specifically to know if there are different options and configurations that make a big difference in price, but a new in box S2 for $7000 seems like a killer deal. I believe @Red Leg owns an S2 and a second set of barrels. Maybe he can chime in on that price?

I am very Happy with my .450 N.E Sabatti. it took me some time to develop a load with the 480gr Peregrine VRG-2 but it hits the spot every time!

Group size.

The rifle in my avatar. The only double I have ever shot shoots 2" left and right at 100 yards ( and probably beyond though never tested it on paper.) Took a while hand loading and reforming brass etc as it is a pretty much obsolete calibre but shows what can be achieved. 8" at 50 yards? Nonsense, pure nonsense!!

(This is not a "new one" either as was made in 1926. Ok a later scope but mounted on original claw-mounts)

I've now seen three of them in action at my club and all were the recently made basic version in 9.3x74R and 45-70. I found the rifle well made and nicely finished. They also were very well regulated and shooting 1 1/2" - 2" groups at 50 m which is a lot more than I can say about a number of high priced name brand guns. I would say that they were good value for cost. Remember, you don't get top shelf champagne on a beer budget, but you can still get a nice beer though.

Funny I seem to get 2-3" off the bench with my doubles ranging from some 500's down to the 300.
A 6-8" rifle isn't normal.

From what I've heard the new Sabatti's with an "X" at the front of the serial number on the water table are the ones properly regulated w/o grinding.

Has the "x" before the serial number been confirmed? Otherwise does anyone know at what serial number the "new" sabatti's starting rolling off the line? Thanks

I have a non cabellas model. All of cabellas models were special order and s/n starts with cab. Mine is the later non cab model. Don't know about "x"

as an FFL dealer I have always wanted a double rifle, I got one in from a wholesaler (no X in front of the serial #) I have inspected the barrel crowns and would like to see more of a crown. I can cut a new crown which I will do later, I have not shot the gun yet, I got it in Dec. 2016 and in ND too cold to target outside but I want to try it out when the weather warms up, the model I have is a 92 classic in the 9.3x74 cal. very light gun and light weight barrels would like heavier barrels. It came with a target indicating a one and a quarter inch single shot pattern at 50 meters, which is not a group but time will tell when I get a chance and I will report and post pictures of the performance. I also have a CZ in a 416 rigby model 550 and also a ruger #1 in 450/400 NE plus a Rem 700 in a 375 RUM, always wanted to hunt in Africa but I will have to be satisfied with just reading about that....at 65 the years pass quickly, I want to go to alaska for brown or grizzly and use a gun built on the rem 700 in the 358 STA. It shoots really well. hopefully I can make this work..... enjoy ready on this website good luck too all....don

as an FFL dealer I have always wanted a double rifle, I got one in from a wholesaler (no X in front of the serial #) I have inspected the barrel crowns and would like to see more of a crown. I can cut a new crown which I will do later, I have not shot the gun yet, I got it in Dec. 2016 and in ND too cold to target outside but I want to try it out when the weather warms up, the model I have is a 92 classic in the 9.3x74 cal. very light gun and light weight barrels would like heavier barrels. It came with a target indicating a one and a quarter inch single shot pattern at 50 meters, which is not a group but time will tell when I get a chance and I will report and post pictures of the performance. I also have a CZ in a 416 rigby model 550 and also a ruger #1 in 450/400 NE plus a Rem 700 in a 375 RUM, always wanted to hunt in Africa but I will have to be satisfied with just reading about that....at 65 the years pass quickly, I want to go to alaska for brown or grizzly and use a gun built on the rem 700 in the 358 STA. It shoots really well. hopefully I can make this work..... enjoy the reading on this website good luck too all....don
one has to watch what he types sometimes what you want is not what the fingers type.

as an FFL dealer I have always wanted a double rifle, I got one in from a wholesaler (no X in front of the serial #) I have inspected the barrel crowns and would like to see more of a crown. I can cut a new crown which I will do later, I have not shot the gun yet, I got it in Dec. 2016 and in ND too cold to target outside but I want to try it out when the weather warms up, the model I have is a 92 classic in the 9.3x74 cal. very light gun and light weight barrels would like heavier barrels. It came with a target indicating a one and a quarter inch single shot pattern at 50 meters, which is not a group but time will tell when I get a chance and I will report and post pictures of the performance. I also have a CZ in a 416 rigby model 550 and also a ruger #1 in 450/400 NE plus a Rem 700 in a 375 RUM, always wanted to hunt in Africa but I will have to be satisfied with just reading about that....at 65 the years pass quickly, I want to go to alaska for brown or grizzly and use a gun built on the rem 700 in the 358 STA. It shoots really well. hopefully I can make this work..... enjoy ready on this website good luck too all....don

it's never too late to come to Africa !

Hello donyst,

It is often less expensive to go on a guided buffalo hunt in Africa, than it is to go on a guided grizzly bear hunt in Alaska.
And it is always less expensive to do the same for Africa's so called "plains game" such as eland, kudu, etc., that it is for guided Alaska moose, caribou, etc., (waaay less expensive).
That being said, we do have an over-abundance of bears up here at the moment (actually, we have too many predators of several types right now in AK, in addition to the two lawfully huntable and plentiful species of bear here, plus wolf, coyote and lynx).
Do come up for your grizzly hunt soon, as described above the numbers are up now but, that cannot last forever (nothing in the universe is static, not even a diamond).

But anyway, "never say never" to a hunting trip on the Dark Continent.
Just like yourself, I'm in my mid-60's and am definitely entrenched for life within the proverbial blue collar worker pay category.
Such is my lot in life, resulting from my own choices - no complaints.
Even so, this year I have reserved my 5th hunting safari to Africa.
It's been 8 or 10 years since my last one and I feel like a high school kid who just asked his favorite Playboy Super-Model for a 5th date with her, and she said yes.
Going to Namibia this time, for a mixed bag of dreaded "plains game", with Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris (one of the Sponsors in this forum).

You might have to sell some rifles to pay for an African safari but I have done it and did not perish so, I encourage you to give it some consideration.

Kind regards,
Velo Dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg