The 'nearly' perfect rifle? What would you change?

I
Hey guys,

I currently own 2 centre fire rifles that are 'nearly' perfect except for a couple of things...

1.) Winchester M70 CRF Synthetic Matte in .338WM.
This rifle is nearly perfect in every way. It looks great, long 26" magna ported barrel, great trigger, accurate and feeds perfectly.
As I said nearly perfect except for one thing... the magazine follower is plastic!
Does this matter?
Probably not but it does bug me a little bit and it's the only thing I would change on this rifle.
And it seems I'm not the only one who feels this way as replacement metal ones are all sold out in Australia!

2.) Zastava M70 .458WM.
I love this rifle. Accurate, powerful, feeds & ejects perfectly and the Hogue aluminium bedded stock is strong and comfortable.
Apart from the stock everything is steel and it's nearly perfect... nearly.
What stops it from being perfect is that the trigger isn't that great, being creepy and a bit heavy (although sufficient for a .458) and the safety is a bit spongy.
I know these can be replaced but they don't bug me enough to do that. It just stops it from being perfect...
Lastly - and this is going to sound a bit funny, what bugs me a bit is that it doesn't 'look' like a .458! The other .458's I've owned had that safari look, ebony tips, cross bolts, etc... they just looked like big bore rifles. They had that look...
Mine doesn't have that look and by looking at it you couldn't tell it was a big caliber. But once again I'm not changing a thing as the rifle is so comfortable and practical I'm leaving it be!

So there you go, 2 examples of 'nearly perfect' rifles... oh so close...

Who else owns 'nearly perfect' rifles?
What are they and what would you change?

Looking forward to hearing everyones replies (y)

Russ
Interesting Question. I have thought of this before in terms what if I had the choice of only one of my current rifles. I have nice doubles and other rifles, my original choice would have been my ruger magnum 375hh as the caliber covers so many situations and workmanship in rifle and ability to shoot anyone else’s ammo is amazing, point of impact hardly changes. Then I acquired an old sako (used for clients) 375hh I had a magnaported barrel in shed I had it fitted. It has a synthetic stock that just fits. my youngest daughter uses it. It’s light, one of the most accurate guns I have owned, points great. It covers most game, looks a bit ugly but it would most likely be the one I would chose. It owes me about $450.

1-magnaport
2-calibre

IvW

I too had my concerns about the Magnaporting - mainly due to increased noise, but after using the rifle a bit it doesn't really seem any louder than any of my other rifles so I've made peace with it.
And it does decrease muzzle jump and recoil.
Would I get it done to any of my rifles? Probably not, but I have no qualms with it on my rifle.

I know you're not a fan of the .458 and that'll probably never change - but I am.
My current load is the 550gn Woodleigh SP, 73gns of BM2 (Benchmark) in a Winchester case, sparked by a CCI 250 Mg primer.
This gives me just under 2100fps for just over 5200fpe.
This load was recommended to me by Geoff McDonald of Woodleigh and it's not only powerful, it cloverleafs 3 shots at 50m.
By swapping out the soft point for a solid surely you're set for any game in the world.
The only fly in the ointment is that this load in my rifle (9lb) puts out 80ft/lbs of recoil.
If I get sick of this kind of recoil I'll simply load my standard load of the 480gn Woodleigh, 74gns of 2206H (H4895) for spot on 2150fps.
This is a very easy load in the .458 and I have read of people using this exact load to successfully hunt elephant.
If you're a fan of the .458 what more do you want?

I'm not telling anyone to rush out and buy a .458 - but if you do have one there's no need be ashamed of it... just load it to it's potential and shoot stuff with it!

Russ

Seems like a great load for your 458 :)

Hi colorado,

It really is a great load - and someone told me he uses the same 550gn Woodleigh SP at an almost identical velocity to hunt water buffalo and he says it hits really hard.

It really is a pity that the .458 is often dismissed as there are some really good loads for it out there that really bring out the best in the old girl...

Russ

IvW

I too had my concerns about the Magnaporting - mainly due to increased noise, but after using the rifle a bit it doesn't really seem any louder than any of my other rifles so I've made peace with it.
And it does decrease muzzle jump and recoil.
Would I get it done to any of my rifles? Probably not, but I have no qualms with it on my rifle.

I know you're not a fan of the .458 and that'll probably never change - but I am.
My current load is the 550gn Woodleigh SP, 73gns of BM2 (Benchmark) in a Winchester case, sparked by a CCI 250 Mg primer.
This gives me just under 2100fps for just over 5200fpe.
This load was recommended to me by Geoff McDonald of Woodleigh and it's not only powerful, it cloverleafs 3 shots at 50m.
By swapping out the soft point for a solid surely you're set for any game in the world.
The only fly in the ointment is that this load in my rifle (9lb) puts out 80ft/lbs of recoil.
If I get sick of this kind of recoil I'll simply load my standard load of the 480gn Woodleigh, 74gns of 2206H (H4895) for spot on 2150fps.
This is a very easy load in the .458 and I have read of people using this exact load to successfully hunt elephant.
If you're a fan of the .458 what more do you want?

I'm not telling anyone to rush out and buy a .458 - but if you do have one there's no need be ashamed of it... just load it to it's potential and shoot stuff with it!

Russ
I love my 458’s. I use 400 gr woodliegh pp. in my Winchester super express. So accurate flies like a 416. I use 500 gr.ers in my interarms work gun. Always great. Better penetration than my 500 ne with 570 gr woodlieghs. They are too soft in that cal.

Magna Porting, that was a thing in the 80s when I used to read a lot of magazines.
I guess this technology gave way to the detachable brake.
I'd be interested to try something with Magna Porting. .

CBH, I put off Magnaporting until I tweaked my pre 64 M70 .308 for my wife to shoot in Africa.
Since this is my primary kills-all deer rifle, I came to really like the lack of muzzle jump and the fact that I did not lose sight of the target due to muzzle jump.
My Ruger 77 .338 was already Magna Ported when it came to me and it was great in RSA shooting plains game.
One of my favorite big bore stalking rifles is my Winchester 1895 .405 WCF. It is perfect, but might be better with a barrel mounted front sling swivel and with Magna Porting. MMM , maybe a Christmas gift to myself?

51985_600x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a Ruger #1 in .375 H&H that came to me dinged up and rusty in spots. It has a perfect trigger. Light as can be and crisp. Beautiful wood, light trigger, and new worn off makes it nearly perfect. It needs a set of express sights and I'm not completely happy about the Warne mounts it wears. They should be QD not PA and I feel like they should grab harder than they do. Other than that, I love it.

I'll add one other - a single shot - with the caveat it is has become my perfect deer rifle. I say perfect because it is long and lean and perfectly balanced, in a perfect 7x65R caliber, and built to perfection by Bailey Bradshaw. I can't think of a thing that I would change.

View attachment 406700

Bradshaw Rising Block Single Shot
Now--you, sir, do have good taste. A million kudos.

Here's my version:

IMG_5219 (1).JPG

I've shot with a lot of people over the years and observed many firearms in various conditions.
A savage 308 win in a rubber stock that would not put a 3rd shot anywhere near the first two. I would have bedded it that day when I got home. He could have cared less because the first two shots probably would do the job.
Cab guns that have never seen a drop of oil or a cleaning rod.
These all gave no concern to their owners.
My Mosin has a trigger jeweled with rocks. The smallest group I've posted at 100 yards is 5/16 inch. When pulling the trigger I can watch the bolt lift up before it goes off. For $100 I can put a Timney trigger in it but never have.
I've worked on and made changed to several rifles but never took one out to shoot that I just felt like leaving it at home because of some dislike.
I owned and shot the piss out of an AYA Matador sxs 10 gauge. I loved that gun. I bought an over/under 10gauge that fit me like a bespoke custom made shotgun but couldn't hit the side of a barn with it. I should have shot it on paper to see where the shot was going but sold it instead.
Connect this thread with the 'what if all your guns were gone and you were replacing them' thread. That would offer some insight as to what a person would 'fix' or disallow in a replacement.
These threads offer a lot of cool thinking. :)

1970 Brno ZKK 602 375 H&H...does get.better than that for the price.....
"For the Price" says a lot for most of us.
Who wouldn't like to order a bespoke made to order firearm? Then sit around the fireplace in our smoking jacket dreaming of our first hunt with it while waiting for it to be built. :)
Without some experience in various guns we likely would not know to specify some features to include or avoid.

A gun to me is a tool...that I use quite often. If it functions as it should I dont care much for "bespoke""full custom" etx. It gets the job done each and everytime with 110% reliability what more can a hunter want?

The 3 ZKK602 actioned rifles I own have always been 110% reliable and would not swop them for anything.

Last edited:
PS My 1895 .405 TD is back from Magnaport and I plan to shoot it this weekend.

And shoot my .458 DR that will be taking its last test shots; it will be go or no go for it.

A gun to me is a tool...that I use quite often. If it functions as it should I dont care much for "bespoke""full custom" etx. It gets the job done each and everytime with 110% reliability what more can a hunter want?

The 3 ZKK602 actiined rifles I own have always been 110% reliable and would not swop them for anything.
I have a long neck so stock drop etc matter a lot regarding my eye position, IE looking out from under my eye brow because my head is tipped forward a lot. This makes a lot of difference with a shotgun and scope eye relief on a rifle.
Stock design has been mentioned a number of times regarding felt recoil in DG rifles.
Getting measured or fitted for a proper stock then getting to shoot that gun would probably make me realize how bad store bought stuff really is for me. But, as @IvW points out; if it does what we want when we want that is what makes a tool useful.
However, I've never gotten a screwdriver out and just admired it just because I like using it. :)

I have a bespoke 404. Wonderful rifle. I also have a synthetic-stocked R8. The former is a wonderful piece of art and a great rifle. The latter is a more nearly perfect tool. If I’m honest with myself, I like the latter more. All the artistry went into the design. Yes, the execution is excellent on the R8, but ultimately it is an entirely replaceable tool with nothing sentimental about it. There are people who call them “soulless”. I consider that a positive feature.

It probably comes down to perfect for what? Big game and Flattening Sambar, Mountain hunting , varmint hunting or something else.

Larry Porterfield of Midway USA done a you tube clip on The Nearly Perfect hunting Rifle.

One thing Larry missed, Russ prefers the .458wm over .375H&H.

There is no such thing as the perfect rifle as that depends on the circumstances of its intended use which is ever changing. To me the perfect gun is the one I happen to be carrying at the time. But I digress, if I did happen to have a near perfect gun I would be a happy camper. You must learn to use your gun of choice within its limitations and be satisfied with it.

There is no such thing as the perfect rifle as that depends on the circumstances of its intended use which is ever changing. To me the perfect gun is the one I happen to be carrying at the time. But I digress, if I did happen to have a near perfect gun I would be a happy camper. You must learn to use your gun of choice within its limitations and be satisfied with it.
How is that even possible? That's so untrue. It's either too heavy or not powerful enough. The scope is either too big or the iron sights a limitation. The barrel length is either killing your terminal ballistics or fettering you to the point of helpless immobility. It has more rounds than you need or it could hold one more. You simply have to have something you want to change about your rifle or it alone can be the perfect rifle. It defies the laws of AH for every rifle to be perfect in the moment of the hunt. :A Tease: :A Stirring:

It may defy the laws of AH but that doesn’t make it not true. Every game animal I ever killed was taken with the perfect gun for the job:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you