The Fine Things In Life

Nothing brings the same levels of sonorous ecstasy as a naturally aspirated V12 engine approaching redline. As far as Astons are concerned, I have owned a DB7, DB9 and DBS. Each was exquisite. I have no interest in the new Aston offerings.

I am sure to ruffle some feathers here, but single malts are horribly overrated in my opinion, except for Laphroig. Then again, I am a plebeian who drinks a lot of JW.

As others have mentioned, writing with a fountain pen is a lost joy.

As for clothing, I will add Tom Ford for suits.

Nothing brings the same levels of sonorous ecstasy as a naturally aspirated V12 engine approaching redline. As far as Astons are concerned, I have owned a DB7, DB9 and DBS. Each was exquisite. I have no interest in the new Aston offerings.

I am sure to ruffle some feathers here, but single malts are horribly overrated in my opinion, except for Laphroig. Then again, I am a plebeian who drinks a lot of JW.

As others have mentioned, writing with a fountain pen is a lost joy.

As for clothing, I will add Tom Ford for suits.
I came very close to a V12 e type in immaculate condition, but sacrilege on these Zimbabwe roads, hence the Series 1 Land Rover fad. Nothing wrong with Laphroig, its the setting and the company that round it off.

When it comes to Laphroaig, a passage from "The 7th Scroll" comes to mind. It's supposed to be drunk on the hill during a gale after stalking and shooting a 10(?) point stag. Or words to that effect. Definitely a unique taste and not for every one. I like it.

When it comes to Laphroaig, a passage from "The 7th Scroll" comes to mind. It's supposed to be drunk on the hill during a gale after stalking and shooting a 10(?) point stag. Or words to that effect. Definitely a unique taste and not for every one. I like it.
That perfectly describes Laphroig. I always feel like I am drinking Scotland.

When I did my little 6 point stag up in the Inverness mountains it started to snow. Now I know why the Scotties carry a hip flask with a wee dram, I have no idea what was in that flask, but boy did it hit the spot!

Fountain pens !

I collect pens from the 1920´s, the golden age of pens, don´t care for the modern stuff.

Quiet leather hunting Accessories made to your specifications are one of the finest things. As well as an understanding and supportive wife

A good morning bush shave outside your tent with piping hot water, an Arlington London shaving bowl, hogs hair brush and dry towel. Luxury!
0CED976F-88C0-4582-9B54-1691977957F1.jpeg

I have owned all of the items on my list (except the Beretta SO Sparviere. I have the SL3). I've had two Aston Martins--and believe me they are not rubbish--they are sculpture you can drive. Flawless fit and finish. Only complaint is they are expensive to own and maintain.

I meant modern (read:AMG) Astons. The manual DBS that I had was a hell of a car . . . likely because the trans was simplified (it did have a terrible interior for the price point). They are certainly the elite of elegant machines, perhaps (as a guy that understands from owning a Diablo) their tendency to not start and break is part of the romance of the older vehicles. I would actually offer that the Virage (which no one bought) is one of the prettiest cars I have ever seen, if a bit feminine.

I would also say that the Sparv was not among the favorite shotguns I have owned. One of only 2 Berettas I have ever had issue with and the other was a known POS.

This thread is slightly different from 'some things can never be bettered', this time the theme is extreme quality. This may not appeal to all. Some are die hard practicalists to whom adequacy is right on, no problem with that either. But to some of us, the quest for quality is a driver. Let me say from the outset that this is not necessarily to do with money. Indeed half the fun is finding something exquisite in an antique shop, or at a boot sale. Or it may be consciously saving up over time for an expensive item, as was the case with my Verney Carron, its a basic model that is nevertheless top quality and what I could achieve.
So here is my opening:
Cut glass crystal that rings when you toast
Hand made knives with ivory bolsters
Top quality shirts
Courteney boots
Patrick Mavros silver cuff links, buffalo is the favourite.
Single malt Scotches
Couldn’t agree with the Patrick Mavros stuff more
image.jpg

I'm a dreaded practical person who likes things plain-ish and functional and generally lacking in embellishment. I don't drink much, so the finer points of alcohol are lost on me. I don't smoke, so tobacco holds no appeal at all.

But I wouldn't say no to owning a nice big Rolls Royce Phantom II saloon model, in dark green and black, if I could. Or to owning a WWII fighter plane, a Spitfire or an BF109. Man's gotta have his vices, just a little.

Fountain Pens? Well to each his own. I've drunk a single malt from every Scottish distillery that has product left in the world with a couple of exceptions and was drinking (and recommending) Pappy 12 yr bourbon when it was commonly available for $35 a fifth on plastic shelves in corner liquor stores. But what most folks fail to appreciate is a truly fine cognac. Try a Jean Fillioux Tres Vieux Grande Champagne 25 yr old some time.

Last edited:
I have to add that a well designed knife, hand made to your own preferences , is not only one of the finer things in life but adds pride in use that you have had a definitive part in choosing its component parts and any added embellishments you may have chosen.

I have to add that a well designed knife, hand made to your own preferences , is not only one of the finer things in life but adds pride in use that you have had a definitive part in choosing its component parts and any added embellishments you may have chosen.

+ One on that, even more so if that knife has been hand forged by a good friend, then it will be something to leave for the grandchildren :D Cheers:

Kenetrek boots (more comfortable, practical and even more costly than courtneys!) EuroOptic has a 1/2 price sale once annually. Many PHs and writers (from Zim) tried heartily to convert me to those truck re-treads with cute game hide, but I resisted! LOL

A fine quality (and very accurate) older rifle that you know was carried previously by a great old, dearly-departed hunter! And you carry it with a great respect in all manners and put it to good use...

"Having great kids who display a tremendous work ethic and have successful careers." Here, Here! 'Put my ALL into mine and they're both Doctors today! The finest "things" in my life!!!

'Have a rule w/ respect to gunsafe contents...When they're full, I cannot purchase another unless I'm willing to give one up, and now I'm at the point where I'm hard-pressed to give any of 'em up. Maybe 1 or 2...

Fine material stuff is easy to acquire if one has money.

A teacher at my public boarding school said: "... it doesn't matter who your family is or how rich you are. What matters is who you wake up with every morning."

That left an impression on me. So, I took it to heart. I upgrade every 7-9 years. An attractive tall blonde and preferably in their 20s when the clock starts. ;)

A truly great fountain pen, like the Purdey Mont Blanc. On my list.

... (related) ... (sort of) ...

I use a mechanical pencil ... specifically, the The Scripto Classic K780, which hasn't been made in decades. I always carry one ... just as I always carry my pocket knife ... and just don't feel completely right without them.

As with most things, the design of mechanical pencils has completely degenerated, due, primarily (I would argue), to "creativity" ... "innovation" ... and a complete lack of understanding of the purpose and function of design. The mechanical pencils made today ... and there are stacks and stacks of them wherever pencils are sold ... are all garbage.

But The Scripto Classic K780 was ... is ... a thing of beauty ... purely functional ... from which its form springs ... something I appreciate greatly ... in all things ...

That little rant was really about The Nature of Design ... (applies to rifles too) ... which could be a separate thread ...

As for THIS thread ... I'm partial to old tools and fine books ... also collect ephemera ... more on that later, maybe ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg