The Fine Things In Life

Saul

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, UK, Hungary, Argentina
Nothing brings the same levels of sonorous ecstasy as a naturally aspirated V12 engine approaching redline. As far as Astons are concerned, I have owned a DB7, DB9 and DBS. Each was exquisite. I have no interest in the new Aston offerings.

I am sure to ruffle some feathers here, but single malts are horribly overrated in my opinion, except for Laphroig. Then again, I am a plebeian who drinks a lot of JW.

As others have mentioned, writing with a fountain pen is a lost joy.

As for clothing, I will add Tom Ford for suits.

Kevin Peacocke

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Nothing brings the same levels of sonorous ecstasy as a naturally aspirated V12 engine approaching redline. As far as Astons are concerned, I have owned a DB7, DB9 and DBS. Each was exquisite. I have no interest in the new Aston offerings.

I am sure to ruffle some feathers here, but single malts are horribly overrated in my opinion, except for Laphroig. Then again, I am a plebeian who drinks a lot of JW.

As others have mentioned, writing with a fountain pen is a lost joy.

As for clothing, I will add Tom Ford for suits.
I came very close to a V12 e type in immaculate condition, but sacrilege on these Zimbabwe roads, hence the Series 1 Land Rover fad. Nothing wrong with Laphroig, its the setting and the company that round it off.

jeanes

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
TSRA Life Member, NRA
Hunted
Texas, Colorado, South Dakota
When it comes to Laphroaig, a passage from "The 7th Scroll" comes to mind. It's supposed to be drunk on the hill during a gale after stalking and shooting a 10(?) point stag. Or words to that effect. Definitely a unique taste and not for every one. I like it.

Saul

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, UK, Hungary, Argentina
When it comes to Laphroaig, a passage from "The 7th Scroll" comes to mind. It's supposed to be drunk on the hill during a gale after stalking and shooting a 10(?) point stag. Or words to that effect. Definitely a unique taste and not for every one. I like it.
That perfectly describes Laphroig. I always feel like I am drinking Scotland.

Kevin Peacocke

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
When I did my little 6 point stag up in the Inverness mountains it started to snow. Now I know why the Scotties carry a hip flask with a wee dram, I have no idea what was in that flask, but boy did it hit the spot!

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Fountain pens !

I collect pens from the 1920´s, the golden age of pens, don´t care for the modern stuff.

thriller

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NWTF, NRA, DU, SCI and QDMA
Hunted
Countries: Argentina, United States and Zimbabwe States: AL, LA, FL, MS, Tenn., SD, ND, IA, NE, KN,SC, GA, TX and NC
Quiet leather hunting Accessories made to your specifications are one of the finest things. As well as an understanding and supportive wife

Kevin Peacocke

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
A good morning bush shave outside your tent with piping hot water, an Arlington London shaving bowl, hogs hair brush and dry towel. Luxury!
0CED976F-88C0-4582-9B54-1691977957F1.jpeg

AES

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have owned all of the items on my list (except the Beretta SO Sparviere. I have the SL3). I've had two Aston Martins--and believe me they are not rubbish--they are sculpture you can drive. Flawless fit and finish. Only complaint is they are expensive to own and maintain.

I meant modern (read:AMG) Astons. The manual DBS that I had was a hell of a car . . . likely because the trans was simplified (it did have a terrible interior for the price point). They are certainly the elite of elegant machines, perhaps (as a guy that understands from owning a Diablo) their tendency to not start and break is part of the romance of the older vehicles. I would actually offer that the Virage (which no one bought) is one of the prettiest cars I have ever seen, if a bit feminine.

I would also say that the Sparv was not among the favorite shotguns I have owned. One of only 2 Berettas I have ever had issue with and the other was a known POS.

thriller

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NWTF, NRA, DU, SCI and QDMA
Hunted
Countries: Argentina, United States and Zimbabwe States: AL, LA, FL, MS, Tenn., SD, ND, IA, NE, KN,SC, GA, TX and NC
This thread is slightly different from 'some things can never be bettered', this time the theme is extreme quality. This may not appeal to all. Some are die hard practicalists to whom adequacy is right on, no problem with that either. But to some of us, the quest for quality is a driver. Let me say from the outset that this is not necessarily to do with money. Indeed half the fun is finding something exquisite in an antique shop, or at a boot sale. Or it may be consciously saving up over time for an expensive item, as was the case with my Verney Carron, its a basic model that is nevertheless top quality and what I could achieve.
So here is my opening:
Cut glass crystal that rings when you toast
Hand made knives with ivory bolsters
Top quality shirts
Courteney boots
Patrick Mavros silver cuff links, buffalo is the favourite.
Single malt Scotches
Couldn’t agree with the Patrick Mavros stuff more
image.jpg

WebleyGreene455

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I'm a dreaded practical person who likes things plain-ish and functional and generally lacking in embellishment. I don't drink much, so the finer points of alcohol are lost on me. I don't smoke, so tobacco holds no appeal at all.

But I wouldn't say no to owning a nice big Rolls Royce Phantom II saloon model, in dark green and black, if I could. Or to owning a WWII fighter plane, a Spitfire or an BF109. Man's gotta have his vices, just a little.

Roller

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia, RSA, USA
Fountain Pens? Well to each his own. I've drunk a single malt from every Scottish distillery that has product left in the world with a couple of exceptions and was drinking (and recommending) Pappy 12 yr bourbon when it was commonly available for $35 a fifth on plastic shelves in corner liquor stores. But what most folks fail to appreciate is a truly fine cognac. Try a Jean Fillioux Tres Vieux Grande Champagne 25 yr old some time.

Last edited:

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I have to add that a well designed knife, hand made to your own preferences , is not only one of the finer things in life but adds pride in use that you have had a definitive part in choosing its component parts and any added embellishments you may have chosen.

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
I have to add that a well designed knife, hand made to your own preferences , is not only one of the finer things in life but adds pride in use that you have had a definitive part in choosing its component parts and any added embellishments you may have chosen.

+ One on that, even more so if that knife has been hand forged by a good friend, then it will be something to leave for the grandchildren :D Cheers:

C.W. Richter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PA SCI, Various Endless Mtns., PA Region Clubs
Hunted
Zimbabwe 2x, Namibia 2x, RSA 2x, USA, Canada
Kenetrek boots (more comfortable, practical and even more costly than courtneys!) EuroOptic has a 1/2 price sale once annually. Many PHs and writers (from Zim) tried heartily to convert me to those truck re-treads with cute game hide, but I resisted! LOL

C.W. Richter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PA SCI, Various Endless Mtns., PA Region Clubs
Hunted
Zimbabwe 2x, Namibia 2x, RSA 2x, USA, Canada
A fine quality (and very accurate) older rifle that you know was carried previously by a great old, dearly-departed hunter! And you carry it with a great respect in all manners and put it to good use...

"Having great kids who display a tremendous work ethic and have successful careers." Here, Here! 'Put my ALL into mine and they're both Doctors today! The finest "things" in my life!!!

'Have a rule w/ respect to gunsafe contents...When they're full, I cannot purchase another unless I'm willing to give one up, and now I'm at the point where I'm hard-pressed to give any of 'em up. Maybe 1 or 2...

Tanks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Fine material stuff is easy to acquire if one has money.

A teacher at my public boarding school said: "... it doesn't matter who your family is or how rich you are. What matters is who you wake up with every morning."

That left an impression on me. So, I took it to heart. I upgrade every 7-9 years. An attractive tall blonde and preferably in their 20s when the clock starts. ;)

Scholar

AH senior member
Reaction score
A truly great fountain pen, like the Purdey Mont Blanc. On my list.

... (related) ... (sort of) ...

I use a mechanical pencil ... specifically, the The Scripto Classic K780, which hasn't been made in decades. I always carry one ... just as I always carry my pocket knife ... and just don't feel completely right without them.

As with most things, the design of mechanical pencils has completely degenerated, due, primarily (I would argue), to "creativity" ... "innovation" ... and a complete lack of understanding of the purpose and function of design. The mechanical pencils made today ... and there are stacks and stacks of them wherever pencils are sold ... are all garbage.

But The Scripto Classic K780 was ... is ... a thing of beauty ... purely functional ... from which its form springs ... something I appreciate greatly ... in all things ...

That little rant was really about The Nature of Design ... (applies to rifles too) ... which could be a separate thread ...

As for THIS thread ... I'm partial to old tools and fine books ... also collect ephemera ... more on that later, maybe ...

Fred Gunner

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits smothered in sausage gravy brought to me in bed at 10am by a red headed waitress with freckles on her breasts in a trailer park in Fayetteville N.C. on a Saturday Morning in 1983 Her name was Janet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArdisHersh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh