The Fine Things In Life

The 6 Stall Jones Airliner.

my family, a good cigar, treasured memories, a well made knife, true friends, cold spring water on a hot day,

My list? Having a long, successful marriage to the same beautiful woman.

Having great kids who display a tremendous work ethic and have successful careers.

Having everything you really need to the point you have few wants.

Plenty of money in the bank and no debt.

The rest of the stuff is just that - stuff.
That's everything. Nothing exceeds what you have written.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best brisket rub is made by the Hodges family of San Antonio TX--they are the ones who sell trophy buck breeding stock. They won't tell me what's in it specifically....
Best neuvo bbq is Smoke of Dallas Tx, coffee rubbed

The BBQ argument, could be a thread if it’s own. The best central Texas pit masters use just salt and black pepper, they just all have different ratios of salt v pepper. Those pit masters are Aaron Franklin and the Mueller clan.

Getting back to the stuff and the suggestion that you own it or have own it, all the items that I listed fall into that category.

A summer and winter hat by Optimo out of Chicago.

My William Henry Damascus pocket knife.

Wool and cashmere: this is general because it is such a part of my clothing beginning next month!

Truly fresh fruit or vegetables, picked and eaten right then.

The peace that settles over you a few days into a hunt when your brain slows down and you begin to enjoy the moment.

The knowing smile of a long term friend or spouse when no words need to be said.

i boo hooed when i sold my 1992 nisson special cal edition king cab 4x4. i bought it new and kept it 27 years.but i now smile as i look at my 2020 jeep gladiator.at 81 im going to try and keep it 28 years,ha,ha.

My family.

My circle of friends that are family (the gentlemen all stood with me or near me at our wedding). I call them brother.

-A hand-built flintlock rifle.
-Hand-forged knives built by friends.
-Beaver fur felt hats built just for me and my crainially endowed head.
-Single Malt Scotch
-Good Port, dark chocolate, and Maytag blue cheese.
-Good cigars. Better when shared with friends.
- Experienced mentors
- Watching the sunrise in a duck blind.
- Sunrise in general.
-A peaceful sunset over my home farm.

Ok, we will include the caveat that you need to own, or have owned these fine things. If you don't like fine things, this thread in not for you , start a 'no fuss' thread or something yourself.
Classic MGA sports cars
Series 1 Land Rovers
Silver cigar holders
Westley Richards safari wear, especially the jackets.
86DC5E5F-F941-44E0-A8D8-DFF6E8DBDF84.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
A fine analog mechanical timepiece from Omega.
The favorite that I currently own is a 1974 SpeedMaster Mark 4.5.
It belonged to my father and is now a favorite of mine for special occasions.
A Patek Philippe Calatrava would certainly be marvelous addition, but I don't own one...yet.
1597480552260.png

I am simple guy.
Fine things in life:
- opening a gun safe, and considering which rifle to take today, for hunting or to a range
- sitting in a living room, and enjoying the trophies on the wall, with cold beer in glass bottle in a hand.
- waiting for a sunrise, on my fishing boat, early in the morning, surrounded by quietness of the fresh NW-ly breeze, with warm coffee and lit cigarette in a hand. That one is carpe diem.

• A classic Model 70, with hand checkering on the stock
  • A fine rifle from a quality custom smith. Nothing feels better in the hand than a fine rifle.
  • Old leather from the artisans. Brill, Sessums, Myers - the western saddlemakers who built all things leather in the fading West.
  • A good scotch, which to me (and within my budget) is an 18 year single malt Glenfidditch
  • Good friends to share these things with
Edited to add - some fine Texas brisket!

• A classic Model 70, with hand checkering on the stock
  • A fine rifle from a quality custom smith. Nothing feels better in the hand than a fine rifle.
  • Old leather from the artisans. Brill, Sessums, Myers - the western saddlemakers who built all things leather in the fading West.
  • A good scotch, which to me (and within my budget) is an 18 year single malt Glenfidditch
  • Good friends to share these things with
Edited to add - some fine Texas brisket!
You hit it there Rafterman, friends are everything.

mustard powder, smoked salt, pepper, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar

is there anything else that could possibly be acceptable?

:)

There is, although it's complicated:

50% Kosher Salt combined with....
50% Black Pepper

:)

Maybe a caveat of this thread is that you have to own (or have previously owned) said item. It's easy to just say a bunch of nice brand names . . . even though some are rubbish (like modern Astons).

I will second Anejo Shark and Hermes tie from above. Both are exquisitely executed.

My aston db9 volante was very nice ... :E Shrug:

Maybe a caveat of this thread is that you have to own (or have previously owned) said item. It's easy to just say a bunch of nice brand names . . . even though some are rubbish (like modern Astons).

I will second Anejo Shark and Hermes tie from above. Both are exquisitely executed.
I have owned all of the items on my list (except the Beretta SO Sparviere. I have the SL3). I've had two Aston Martins--and believe me they are not rubbish--they are sculpture you can drive. Flawless fit and finish. Only complaint is they are expensive to own and maintain.

I have owned all of the items on my list (except the Beretta SO Sparviere. I have the SL3). I've had two Aston Martins--and believe me they are not rubbish--they are sculpture you can drive. Flawless fit and finish. Only complaint is they are expensive to own and maintain.

Which astons?...had a db7 volante ...then to a porsche 996 turbo before back to a db9 volante...as you say lovely cars...and the v12 ....fantastic

I am envious of you both. My good friend from Canada sold his business and the treat was a V12 Vanquish. We all met in London and toured the AM factory, it was a real treat to see what goes into building there exquisite machines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg