The Big Bore Dilemma

Professor Mawla

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
In terms of versatility ( the “ one gun safari “ philosophy ) , one simply cannot beat the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum .

In terms of sheer stopping power ( and YES . Stopping power is not a myth ) , the terminal effect of a .505 Gibbs and 600 grain North Fork Cup Point Solids on an Australian water buffalo needs to be seen to be believed .

The .400 bores ( such as the .450/400 Nitro Express or the .404 Jeffery ) and the .416 bores ( such as the .416 Rigby or the .416 Remington Magnum ) are suitable dangerous game contenders for most situations , except perhaps for stopping charges in thick cover .

I personally find the .450 bores to be absolutely ideal , for the gentleman who has to contend with dangerous game on a routine basis . Based on my personal experiences with Problem Animal Control work over the last 48 years , I have a strong preference for the .458 Winchester Magnum ( employing 500 grain bullets being propelled at a velocity of at least 2087 feet per second ) . However , there are a number of “improved “ .450 bores on the market which offer more impre ballistic traits - Namely the .458 Lott , .450 Rigby and the .450 Dakota .

Dr. Crack

Bronze supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
In terms of versatility ( the “ one gun safari “ philosophy ) , one simply cannot beat the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum .

In terms of sheer stopping power ( and YES . Stopping power is not a myth ) , the terminal effect of a .505 Gibbs and 600 grain North Fork Cup Point Solids on an Australian water buffalo needs to be seen to be believed .

The .400 bores ( such as the .450/400 Nitro Express or the .404 Jeffery ) and the .416 bores ( such as the .416 Rigby or the .416 Remington Magnum ) are suitable dangerous game contenders for most situations , except perhaps for stopping charges in thick cover .

I personally find the .450 bores to be absolutely ideal , for the gentleman who has to contend with dangerous game on a routine basis . Based on my personal experiences with Problem Animal Control work over the last 48 years , I have a strong preference for the .458 Winchester Magnum ( employing 500 grain bullets being propelled at a velocity of at least 2087 feet per second ) . However , there are a number of “improved “ .450 bores on the market which offer more impre ballistic traits - Namely the .458 Lott , .450 Rigby and the .450 Dakota .
This is awesome to hear! Love to here from the professionals!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lore1

Latest profile posts

BillyMiller wrote on Qc_BearHunter's profile.
Hi. I’m also new to AH. I’m a professional hunter in Zambia. If you would like me to quote or give you any advise would be more than happy to help. You can reach me on WhatsApp or Signal on +260 977 583697
Rifle57 wrote on Viral_SIGness's profile.
Viral is a great guy to trade with First Class all the way!!
Rickmt wrote on Justbryan's profile.
What is your new shorter rifle? Thanx Bryan !
raamw wrote on neckdeep's profile.
Supply your address so I can get shipping Paypal Friend (no ) fee) is fine
Viral_SIGness wrote on Rifle57's profile.
Great person to deal with. Fast communication and quick shipper!