The Big Bore Dilemma

Professor Mawla

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
In terms of versatility ( the “ one gun safari “ philosophy ) , one simply cannot beat the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum .

In terms of sheer stopping power ( and YES . Stopping power is not a myth ) , the terminal effect of a .505 Gibbs and 600 grain North Fork Cup Point Solids on an Australian water buffalo needs to be seen to be believed .

The .400 bores ( such as the .450/400 Nitro Express or the .404 Jeffery ) and the .416 bores ( such as the .416 Rigby or the .416 Remington Magnum ) are suitable dangerous game contenders for most situations , except perhaps for stopping charges in thick cover .

I personally find the .450 bores to be absolutely ideal , for the gentleman who has to contend with dangerous game on a routine basis . Based on my personal experiences with Problem Animal Control work over the last 48 years , I have a strong preference for the .458 Winchester Magnum ( employing 500 grain bullets being propelled at a velocity of at least 2087 feet per second ) . However , there are a number of “improved “ .450 bores on the market which offer more impre ballistic traits - Namely the .458 Lott , .450 Rigby and the .450 Dakota .

Dr. Crack

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
In terms of versatility ( the “ one gun safari “ philosophy ) , one simply cannot beat the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum .

In terms of sheer stopping power ( and YES . Stopping power is not a myth ) , the terminal effect of a .505 Gibbs and 600 grain North Fork Cup Point Solids on an Australian water buffalo needs to be seen to be believed .

The .400 bores ( such as the .450/400 Nitro Express or the .404 Jeffery ) and the .416 bores ( such as the .416 Rigby or the .416 Remington Magnum ) are suitable dangerous game contenders for most situations , except perhaps for stopping charges in thick cover .

I personally find the .450 bores to be absolutely ideal , for the gentleman who has to contend with dangerous game on a routine basis . Based on my personal experiences with Problem Animal Control work over the last 48 years , I have a strong preference for the .458 Winchester Magnum ( employing 500 grain bullets being propelled at a velocity of at least 2087 feet per second ) . However , there are a number of “improved “ .450 bores on the market which offer more impre ballistic traits - Namely the .458 Lott , .450 Rigby and the .450 Dakota .
This is awesome to hear! Love to here from the professionals!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DennyKavel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gert Odendaal wrote on Av8or's profile.
Good day , Do you still have .375 H&H Magnum brass available to sell?
tarbe wrote on PatrickMa Ward's profile.
Aha....I see you have a new Avatar!!

Nice bull!
flatwater bill wrote on KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
I hope your hunting season has started off well. I am coming to Namibia for the 7th time in late April of 2022. I am bringing two friends who have never hunted outside of the USA. I have several questions, but before I write them all, I will wait to see if you receive this. Please give a shout................................best regards.........................Bill...............Idaho, USA
My name’s Wyatt Baker. I’m a card-carrying NRA member, an avid outdoorsman, long-time angler, and a big Patrick McManus fan.
Does anyone know where to buy a chamber reamer to convert .458 win to .458 Lott? I hear it is very easy to do—?