The 404 Jeffery history and related information

Just out of curiosity, should we add all of the RUM Calibers to the list as well? If this has already been mentioned, please excuse my duplication.
Shootist43, I think if the RUM calibers can take a 404 Jeffery original round to the specifications of the 404 Jeffery case I see no reason why not if this requirement is matched....can you take a RUM case and stuck it into a 404 Jeffery chamber and shoot it????

AZDAVE, I have passed the Mauser Box Magazine Configuration Formula on to several gunsmiths. Most had never seen it before. But in all fairness the ones I'm referring to don't build a lot of big game rifles either.

Gert, the RUM calibers all use the 404 Jeffery as the parent case, that is why they are so easily converted to 404 Jeffery. Winchester Mod 70 Safari Express in RUM calibers are sought after for this reason.

Gert, the RUM calibers all use the 404 Jeffery as the parent case, that is why they are so easily converted to 404 Jeffery. Winchester Mod 70 Safari Express in RUM calibers are sought after for this reason.
Shootist43 , will you do the RUM calibers and it`s history as the off spring of the 404 Jeffery then???(y)(y)(y)

Did Winchester not used the 404 Jeffery platform and the Dakota company as well?? Is there someone who will want to do the Winchester and the Dakota history on the off spring as a 404 Jeffery parent case ???It will be much appreciated ..(y)(y)(y)

If there are a member who could do a write -up on the 404 Jeffery to the .338 Edge development as well it really will be great???

Shootist43 , will you do the RUM calibers and it`s history as the off spring of the 404 Jeffery then???(y)(y)(y)
I do not know how to attach the video but do a search for The Real Gunsmith. His name is Randy Selby and he has a video about the .404 and the differences between the Jeffery case and the RUM's.

Gert here are the details on each of the Remington Ultra Mag calibers.
upload_2020-5-5_12-31-31.png

Dirtdart, Randy is the Gunsmith that converted one of my 404(s). I bought it after the conversion was completed

Here is a link to Randy's video converting a rifle to a 404 Jeffery:

I do not know how to attach the video but do a search for The Real Gunsmith. His name is Randy Selby and he has a video about the .404 and the differences between the Jeffery case and the RUM's.
Thank you Dirtdart, yes I have watched his video you are mentioning..I hope we do not russel up some feathers since he really conveys a strong message to the RUM originators..:A Bang Head::A Bravo::A Argue:

Dirtdart, after watching this video for the first time I learned something. The Remington Ultra Mag calibers are not based on the 404 Jeffery case as is reported on just about every other medium. My rifle was actually a 375 H&H originally. I read somewhere that the magazine dimensions for the RUM calibers are a little longer than those of a 375 H&H.

Dirtdart, after watching this video for the first time I learned something. The Remington Ultra Mag calibers are not based on the 404 Jeffery case as is reported on just about every other medium. My rifle was actually a 375 H&H originally. I read somewhere that the magazine dimensions for the RUM calibers are a little longer than those of a 375 H&H.
As I understand it the RUM is a blown out version..that is why I set the criteria as to fitting a RUM case in a 404 Jeffery chamber...will it be compatible Shootist43..I think it is the same with the Dakota version as well..

I had never really put much thought into the differences until I watched that video. I am always happy to gain knowledge and I believe most of us are here feel the same so I doubt any feathers will get ruffled. That is one of the reasons I love this forum!

I had never really put much thought into the differences until I watched that video. I am always happy to gain knowledge and I believe most of us are here feel the same so I doubt any feathers will get ruffled. That is one of the reasons I love this forum!
We all agree 100% with you Dirtdart:A Banana::A Banana:

I deleted this ..apologies
View attachment 346311
To members reading this article ...what are your opinions in regards to the muzzle velocities of these calibers as shown here in the article ...would really like some opinions and why these figures is quite different than the standard calibers in other brands??

Not to jump into the middle of the discussion, but, if someone is going to use the formula to calculate the magazine diameter for the RUM cartridges, please note that the case head diameter is similar to the 404 Jeffery while the rim is only standard magnum diameter, so the magazine width needs to be designed using the casehead.

Forrest, once you buy the brass and an 8 Lb. "keg" of powder as well as the dies these costs are forgotten about. After that reloads are relatively inexpensive bullets you can sometimes get on sale and primers are relatively cheap. If you don't reload already you should consider it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you