The 404 Jeffery history and related information

Forrest, once you buy the brass and an 8 Lb. "keg" of powder as well as the dies these costs are forgotten about. After that reloads are relatively inexpensive bullets you can sometimes get on sale and primers are relatively cheap. If you don't reload already you should consider it.
I'm already invested in the Lott and the .375H&H. I reload a few different calibers and assess most of my calibers by component availability. They will do whatever I need or can envision. I am really happy for the folks that have .404's. I just feel like I'm a lot late getting on this train.

Von Gruff
This is as close as I'll come to owning a,404 it's an RWS full metal jacket. I don't know what weight as I don't want to destroy the cartridge to find out. Cheers mate Bob
View attachment 346392
That is the RWS 400gn solid Bob 5th from the left in this pic with the 350gn RWS sort to the left of it
404 Jeffery 076.jpg

In this pic it is on the right and going left there is Kynoch 400gn soft, 400gn cast, 380gn cast, 400 Kynoch soft and extreme left is 400gn kynock solid.
404 Jeffery 052.jpg

Thank you for the Kool Aid. It sure was tasty over the last few pages. That's quite a lot of information about a well loved cartridge. Had I come across this back during the Nosler fire sale I might have gotten one of them instead of the Lott.
Forrest, I agree with Shootist..it never is too late to rectify a grave mistake by purchasing a .458 Lott...sell the Lott and buy a 404 Jeffery, you will really feel you have accomplishes something really important in your life..:A Banana::A Banana:

I'm already invested in the Lott and the .375H&H. I reload a few different calibers and assess most of my calibers by component availability. They will do whatever I need or can envision. I am really happy for the folks that have .404's. I just feel like I'm a lot late getting on this train.
Forrest it looks like we agree with you on your statement..you really are a Lott late on this one:LOL: but not to worry about your grave mistake..you can still enjoy the 404 Jeffery club as a sleeping member and still experience the joy of our 404 Jeffery members , we will share our great hunting experiences with you though;);)

Forrest, I agree with Shootist..it never is too late to rectify a grave mistake by purchasing a .458 Lott...sell the Lott and buy a 404 Jeffery, you will really feel you have accomplishes something really important in your life..:A Banana::A Banana:

My Lott is a Ruger No. 1. I will keep it forever. I do enjoy the .423 crowd and their curious inability to measure bore diameter. They are a kind folk though. Can't fault them for that.

Forrest it looks like we agree with you on your statement..you really are a Lott late on this one:LOL: but not to worry about your grave mistake..you can still enjoy the 404 Jeffery club as a sleeping member and still experience the joy of our 404 Jeffery members , we will share our great hunting experiences with you though;);)
Oh you wicked punster! I didn't see that at all. I truly am a Lott late. Haha!

My Lott is a Ruger No. 1. I will keep it forever. I do enjoy the .423 crowd and their curious inability to measure bore diameter. They are a kind folk though. Can't fault them for that.

Oh you wicked punster! I didn't see that at all. I truly am a Lott late. Haha!
Forrester, Dr. Kevin Robertson told one of our members who took a Ruger nr1 in a .375 H&H Magnum caliber , if the hunter are capable to handle the Ruger Nr 1 rifle design correctly, re-loading and shoot fast it is nearly the perfect Dangerous Game Rifle ..even if it is a single shot..I have witness with my own eyes the incredible speed a Ruger Nr 1 shooter repeatedly, shoots and re-load her Ruger Nr. 1 dangerous game calibers at a Big Bore Shoot in South Africa ( BASA)..even faster than me re-loading ans shooting my Mauser 404 Jeffery...I once had the opportunity to purchase a Ruger Nr. I in a .458 WM caliber, a beautiful rifle ..but I had to pass up the offer..The Ruger Nr.1 is one of my favorite rifle designs....enjoy your Lott , there is a "Lott" to be said of that great caliber...(y)(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Gert Odendaal I will enjoy my Lott and my .375 H&H No.1's! They are very fast if reloaded well with pointed ammunition. I'm thinking the .404 would be quite fast in the Mauser. That is all on you for losing that race. Pity that they didn't get that caliber right at Ruger.

A comparrison.
9.3x57, 9.3x 62, 10.75x68, 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, 404 Jeffery, 458 WM, 458 Lott. And yes I know the 10.75x68 is not in the right order.
View attachment 346402

The very left cannot be a 9,3x57.

And the next not a 9,3x62.

Isn't the very left the 9,3x62 and the next the 9,3x64 Brenneke?

HWL

404 Jeffery related post :
Members of the great 404 Jeffery hunting fraternity ...
Question to all of you......
What boat tail type of bullet can I use to shoot/hunt out to 400 meters at Eland , Oryx and Blue Wildebeest , all heavy bodied game animals..if possible I want to be able to shoot out to 500 meters target shooting???

I really would like to push the envelope on the 404 Jeffery ...as a long distance hunting Kalahari dune hunting rifle..
I am awaiting your overwhelming response to my "out of the box " thinking..(y)(y)

The Jeffery's legacy will live on forever. It's the Daddy of the RUMs, WSMs, RSAUMs, and Noslers new line of cartridges. I'm not aware of another old cartridge, that had so much success with spin-offs.

PS: I do not have a .404 Jeff in my cartridge collection, and I'd love to buy one dummy round (or loaded) from you.

I can give you an original soft nose 404 Jeffery live round for your collection...if we will be able to sort out the logistics to get it to you...(y)(y)(y) Something like this ammo?? It accompanied the rifle from 1931 ...I got it with this rifle ...not sure but possible it is coming from 1931..
watermark.php

Last edited:
I can give you an original soft nose 404 Jeffery live round for your collection...if we will be able to sort out the logistics to get it to you...(y)(y)(y) Something like this ammo?? It accompanied the rifle from 1931 ...I got it with this rifle ...not sure but possible it is coming from 1931..
watermark.php
That is awesome!

Cordite is a family of smokeless propellants developed and produced in the United Kingdom since 1889 to replace gunpowder as a military propellant. Like gunpowder, cordite is classified as a low explosive because of its slow burning rates and consequently low brisance
download (2).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you