The 243 Winchester for Australian Game

I’d like to try my .243 to 500 yards and beyond. All my rifles are hunting rifles. They are not match rifles. Even the 300 RUM that I’ve shot 2000 yards and 1 mile targets with is a well made hunting rifle…

I bought the Tikka .243 to practice with so I would be familiar with the SAKO .375H&H. After I got the .243 back from MOA Rifles, with a few upgrades, it became extremely accurate and a joy to shoot. As long as I do my part, it will hit exactly where I aim. I really didn’t set out to make it a primary hunting rifle. I actually didn’t consider it until I brought it to SA for my 3rd Safari and used it for Bush Pig, Jackal, Warthog, and Impala.

Talking to my PH and planning my last Safari, I really considered just bringing a .375H&H but he likes that .243 and told me to bring it… I had no idea how much disdain there was for .243? Although, a lot of what I’ve read are second hand accounts of what it can’t do.

I’m not in love .243, I just know, by my firsthand experience, it kills animals dead. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t talk about it.

Next size up for me is 7MM REM MAG. I’m certain that’s a marginal caliber too…

I sure am glad I didn’t read all the negative posts on either of these calibers before I started hunting with them, because my trophy rooms would be relatively empty and my taxidermist wouldn’t have a new 4x4 diesel rig…
As long as bullet placement is correct, the 243WIN is fine for what you used it for. And just to make things perfectly clear, even your 375H&H is considered marginal by some people depending on the game you are hunting.

EDIT - I have a friend with a Rem 700 stainless/synthetic in 300RUM and it's a tack driver. Never had any work done to it and shoots dime sized holes in 3-shot groups at 100 yards. Not sure if it's the rifle or the caliber, whatever it is...is wicked good.

I’d like to try my .243 to 500 yards and beyond. All my rifles are hunting rifles. They are not match rifles. Even the 300 RUM that I’ve shot 2000 yards and 1 mile targets with is a well made hunting rifle…

I bought the Tikka .243 to practice with so I would be familiar with the SAKO .375H&H. After I got the .243 back from MOA Rifles, with a few upgrades, it became extremely accurate and a joy to shoot. As long as I do my part, it will hit exactly where I aim. I really didn’t set out to make it a primary hunting rifle. I actually didn’t consider it until I brought it to SA for my 3rd Safari and used it for Bush Pig, Jackal, Warthog, and Impala.

Talking to my PH and planning my last Safari, I really considered just bringing a .375H&H but he likes that .243 and told me to bring it… I had no idea how much disdain there was for .243? Although, a lot of what I’ve read are second hand accounts of what it can’t do.

I’m not in love .243, I just know, by my firsthand experience, it kills animals dead. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t talk about it.

Next size up for me is 7MM REM MAG. I’m certain that’s a marginal caliber too…

I sure am glad I didn’t read all the negative posts on either of these calibers before I started hunting with them, because my trophy rooms would be relatively empty and my taxidermist wouldn’t have a new 4x4 diesel rig…
Boy, these 500 yard shots and beyond mentioned quite often here are fascinating but foreign to me? My eyesight isn’t all that bad, but even at 300 yards with my 10x scope, it’s not easy for me to consistently shoot small(er) groups? I mean the crosshairs still move, especially off sticks. I guess one needs to practice/have practiced longer distance shooting for years?

Boy, these 500 yard shots and beyond mentioned quite often here are fascinating but foreign to me? My eyesight isn’t all that bad, but even at 300 yards with my 10x scope, it’s not easy for me to consistently shoot small(er) groups? I mean the crosshairs still move, especially off sticks. I guess one needs to practice/have practiced longer distance shooting for years?
I have often wondered about the manner in which these people who talk about great shot over distance actually measure the distance. My late uncle used to quote things in paces which has a fundamental problem in uneven terrain. I was quoted four hundred yards by a fellow hunter the other day as a max range for shots out of an elevated stand. I knew the area well and was convinced that it could only be two hundred yards at a maximum. When I got up in the stand with my laser rangefinder, it was 207 yards. Well within the max range of my trusty .243 or even the mighty .458 Lott, but still just a chip shot for the old .375 H&H.

Bottom line is when I hear about anything over a hundred yards I ask about the rangefinder.

I have often wondered about the manner in which these people who talk about great shot over distance actually measure the distance. My late uncle used to quote things in paces which has a fundamental problem in uneven terrain. I was quoted four hundred yards by a fellow hunter the other day as a max range for shots out of an elevated stand. I knew the area well and was convinced that it could only be two hundred yards at a maximum. When I got up in the stand with my laser rangefinder, it was 207 yards. Well within the max range of my trusty .243 or even the mighty .458 Lott, but still just a chip shot for the old .375 H&H.

Bottom line is when I hear about anything over a hundred yards I ask about the rangefinder.

It’s not a big deal really… The distance I’ve shot is measured with these new fangled gizmos called laser range finders.

This is what I use:

The rest solely depends on your level of commitment. Having the right kit and learning how to use it. Shooting a hunting rifle to 2,000 yards and hitting a target that is adjusted for MOA is a process of practiced progression. It’s the progression from 400 yards that confirms your ability to use your rifle and gear to make the shots that you may realistically make hunting when it counts. That’s what I was after; increasing my effective killing distance.

Items of importance:
Accurized Hunting Rifle
Spotting Scope
Zero Stop Scope in MOA
Range Finder or Range Finder Binoculars
Ballistic Solver/Calculator
Correct Hunting Bullet
Ability to accept training/instruction

There are many hunters reading this that can constantly kill animals to 300, 400, and 500 yards with less equipment and complication. I appreciate that too!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.53.50 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.53.50 AM Large.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.53.51 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.53.51 AM Large.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.53.53 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.53.53 AM Large.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.54.04 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.54.04 AM Large.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.54.05 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.54.05 AM Large.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 32

I use this for long distance:
IMG_5659.JPG

And these are all Hunting Rifles that shoot 2,000: Actually, one of them was a 6.5 - It didn't get there.
IMG_5655 (2).JPG

3 Shot warm up (fouling In my clean bore) with my 300 RUM
IMG_5647.JPG

It’s not a big deal really… The distance I’ve shot is measured with these new fangled gizmos called laser range finders.

This is what I use:

The rest solely depends on your level of commitment. Having the right kit and learning how to use it. Shooting a hunting rifle to 2,000 yards and hitting a target that is adjusted for MOA is a process of practiced progression. It’s the progression from 400 yards that confirms your ability to use your rifle and gear to make the shots that you may realistically make hunting when it counts. That’s what I was after; increasing my effective killing distance.

Items of importance:
Accurized Hunting Rifle
Spotting Scope
Zero Stop Scope in MOA
Range Finder or Range Finder Binoculars
Ballistic Solver/Calculator
Correct Hunting Bullet
Ability to accept training/instruction

There are many hunters reading this that can constantly kill animals to 300, 400, and 500 yards with less equipment and complication. I appreciate that too!
what you have written shows the commitment you have to doing this type of hunting ethically
its not for everyone and everyone is not for it IMHO
l use a very old golf range finder myself, a condor with pin finder function so it will pick up a golf hole flag, it also ranges backwards and forwards and works out to 1500y apparently, l have never tried it that far, l paid around $130 for it
my point is if it fell off a cliff l wouldn't cry about it but l can range and be a more precise and better shot/hunter because of it

Training, accurate rifle, capable gear, and consistent practice. But, not years of shooting long distance. I knew I was a good shot to 330 yards. Beyond that, I needed help. The shooting school came with my custom rifle purchase at the time. I never thought I would shoot 2,000 yards. Let alone 1,000 yards.

At this point I don’t anticipate hunting at long distance. Hell, my longest kill to date is a little over 380 yards - If I don’t count prairie dogs. If I needed to make a shot to 500 yards (depending on the animal size and circumstance) I’m certain I wouldn’t hesitate.

The things I needed to correct probably didn’t help my overall near distance shooting, It just made shots to 300 yards fairly unconcerning.

The last thing I’m thinking about prior to shooting is holding my breath at the right time and the amount of pressure I have on the trigger prior to it breaking.

Training, accurate rifle, capable gear, and consistent practice. But, not years of shooting long distance. I knew I was a good shot to 330 yards. Beyond that, I needed help. The shooting school came with my custom rifle purchase at the time. I never thought I would shoot 2,000 yards; let alone 1,000 yards.

At this point I don’t anticipate hunting at long distance. Hell, my longest kill to date is a little over 380 yards - If I don’t count prairie dogs. If I needed to make a shot to 500 yards (depending on the animal size and circumstance) I’m certain I wouldn’t hesitate.

The things I needed to correct probably didn’t help my overall near distance shooting, It just made shots to 300 yards fairly unconcerning.

The last thing I’m thinking about prior to shooting is holding my breath at the right time and the amount of pressure I have on the trigger prior to it breaking.

Or maybe, $2900 rifle, $2500 scope, mech shooting rest, portable bench, prone mat, accessories $unknown, and A TWO BIT AIM.

Lets Have Sane discussion about the iconic 243 Winchester & its suitability for hunting game in Australia & other countries with similar sized game. The 243 will handle bullets from 60 grain to 100 grain, is low recoil, so its easy to shoot, is available in a lot of different brand rifles most have a 1-10 twist , Ammo is readily available, its suitable for hunting feral cats, dogs, dingoes, goats, Kangaroos & small deer & with 100 grain bullets wild pigs, its a good caliber
for lady hunters due to its low recoil. For a long range target rifle with 1- 7 twist barrel with 110 grain low drag bullets wins competitions, I have one my sons have i each . But for big pigs its marginal that gives you a reason to have more rifles.
You do realize this is going to go on for 22 pages, right? Wait, I get it--Australians are like our greatest president (Teddy Roosevelt) of whom it was said, "he spent more time selecting the buttplate of his rifle than the license plate (on his vehicle)--gotta love folks like that!!!!

Come in through Sydney so you can meet up with Bob.

He might even plan a hunt so he can try the .243 for himself.
@CBH Australia
Chris I would definitely take them hunting BUT I would lock the 243 in the safe until they left and lend them one of my 25s so they can enjoy the hunt and actually kill something instead of wounding it.
Bob

I can't say that I have any first hand knowledge of kangaroos, but I do remember watching a television program where a woman (what we would call a "bunny-hugger" here in the states) complaining about the number of wounded 'roos being "rescued" and cared for or destroyed by volunteers. She also described one particular animal that had been hit in the jaw by someone trying for a head shot. Of course, she wanted them to end all hunting of kangaroos.
Could it be that people trying to use under sized calibers and being off by only a couple of inches on their shot are creating a lot of bad publicity for all hunters?
I had a gunsmith friend that told me his father killed an elk every year with a .22 Hornet. He sat in a blind by a water hole on private property and placed his shots into the eye at about 20 yards. Other than that one guy, I do not know of anyone that would be a good choice for an elk rifle. Maybe it can be done, but that does not make it a good idea.
Bell knew exactly where an elephant's brain was located in the skull from any angle, and an elephants brain is much larger than that of a kangaroo. I think it would probably be easier to hit an elephant in the brain at 5 yards or even 20, than it would be to hit a kangaroo in the brain at 200.
Shot placement is always the most important issue, but bullet weight and construction are also important and should not be discounted. As hunters, we owe it to the game and each other to use the most effective tools for the job.

I can't say that I have any first hand knowledge of kangaroos, but I do remember watching a television program where a woman (what we would call a "bunny-hugger" here in the states) complaining about the number of wounded 'roos being "rescued" and cared for or destroyed by volunteers. She also described one particular animal that had been hit in the jaw by someone trying for a head shot. Of course, she wanted them to end all hunting of kangaroos.
Could it be that people trying to use under sized calibers and being off by only a couple of inches on their shot are creating a lot of bad publicity for all hunters?
I had a gunsmith friend that told me his father killed an elk every year with a .22 Hornet. He sat in a blind by a water hole on private property and placed his shots into the eye at about 20 yards. Other than that one guy, I do not know of anyone that would be a good choice for an elk rifle. Maybe it can be done, but that does not make it a good idea.
Bell knew exactly where an elephant's brain was located in the skull from any angle, and an elephants brain is much larger than that of a kangaroo. I think it would probably be easier to hit an elephant in the brain at 5 yards or even 20, than it would be to hit a kangaroo in the brain at 200.
Shot placement is always the most important issue, but bullet weight and construction are also important and should not be discounted. As hunters, we owe it to the game and each other to use the most effective tools for the job.
Agreed. But, I'll bet Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen will tell you he can hit a "big red" in the head at 200 yards with his .35 Whelen? LOL

@Doug Hamilton
Out of the 1000s and 1000s of roos shot each year there are bound to be the odd one that gets wounded. Yes it's ethical to find it and finish it off. Remember that this shooting is done at night under spot lights, therefore finding a wounded snimal is nigh on impossible..
These greenie tree hugger bastards can't tell shit from clay and have the brains of a gnat. Problem is they have a mouth like a big mouth bass and spew uninformed bullshit to anyone who will listen.
Shit we even had one tree hugger Muppet wanting city dwellers to adopt a feral fox as a pet to stop them being hunted. If enough people adopted these cute little dogs we wouldn't have a fox problem. As I said a Muppet bit real TV muppets have more brains than these fools.
Bob

Agreed. But, I'll bet Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen will tell you he can hit a "big red" in the head at 200 yards with his .35 Whelen? LOL
@CoElkHunter
Have done it with my hornet, 222rem and my fast 25. My best shot to date was a neck shot on a big red at a lasered 386 yards. About 6" lower than the center of the head. My mate Greg was astonished. The 117grain SST made one hell of a mess.
Bob

Well, you can't make 'em too dead!
@Doug Hamilton
You have dead, deader than that and more deader. So there you can make them to dead. There are degrees of dead mate.
Just ask anyone who has had a big night on the Bundy rum.
Bob

here in Australia we have a code of practice for culling roo's, starting with a minimum of 222rem , must be head shot and no further than 200y,
anyone who cannot put five shots into a 1/4" at 100y has no business culling roo's
understand that these guys are shooting off a rest in a vehicle, they are not walking around taking shots of the shoulder or sticks, most shots are less than 100y
the majority of guys culling roo's are pro's not hunters, although a farmer may get tags for a hunter to cull roo's on his land but if the hunter is not up to it and roos end up dying on other peoples land there will be a problem
when l have seen a bad shot it is because of the roo turning his head quickly at the time of the shot
it does not happen often to a pro but it does happen and the pro will quickly put another into the roo to make sure it does not needlessly suffer, a pro is always ready for a bad shot
using a bigger cal than 222rem is not needed and would not make any difference because of being a shot to the head, it is not just about killing something as a pest, a lot of times it is for meat or skins
but there is culling where you are not allowed to take anything from the animal
and PS the code of practice was made up by greenies

Attachments

• 20-126-digital.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 41
@Doug Hamilton
Many roo shooters would be using a.223 with adequate accuracy. There are a few old school people using a .222 and the .204 Ruger is the choice of a few. Some shooters keep a .22-250 as a backup rifle and will take it on the nights they feel the wind might be up.

All professional harvesting is done in the spotlight and roos tend to sit pretty well and the shooter might pass on the shot if it's iffy.

Some shooters have adopted thermal cameras to identify potential roos in the paddock as they see images of roos that are not obvious as they spin the light.

If you can't shoot you won't last in the game as you will scare them off and educate them. The minimum shooting standard is easily achievable and results in the field are what counts

Yes, Greenies manage the the industry as far as setting quotas and licencing. A quick look on there I've met at least 2 of the people named on it. It's not unworkable.

@Doug Hamilton
Out of the 1000s and 1000s of roos shot each year there are bound to be the odd one that gets wounded. Yes it's ethical to find it and finish it off. Remember that this shooting is done at night under spot lights, therefore finding a wounded snimal is nigh on impossible..
These greenie tree hugger bastards can't tell shit from clay and have the brains of a gnat. Problem is they have a mouth like a big mouth bass and spew uninformed bullshit to anyone who will listen.
Shit we even had one tree hugger Muppet wanting city dwellers to adopt a feral fox as a pet to stop them being hunted. If enough people adopted these cute little dogs we wouldn't have a fox problem. As I said a Muppet bit real TV muppets have more brains than these fools.
Bob
Oh, I know how the weak minds of the of anti-hunters work, or maybe don't work would be more accurate. What I was saying is that maybe we shouldn't be giving them more ammunition to use against us. Just think how they'd cry if they found a poor piggy that had been wounded by a .243.
Of course, you wouldn't even have to use the .222 on foxes, if you would just adopt a couple of those "cute little dogs!" No, we can never fix the broken minds of those that got their education in animal management from Walt Disney. We just don't want them "educating" the people in the middle to their way of thinking. A wounded animal makes great propaganda.
So how many foxes are you going to adopt? ; )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg