Tanzania, Zimbabwe or Zambia?

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by NWT, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Bullet Safaris

Bullet Safaris SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Botswana
    Hello, and please feel free to contact us!
    Sincerely,
    Nathan Askew

2. Bullet Safaris

Bullet Safaris SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Botswana
    Hi Paul,
    We can do the hunt you want on that budget.
    PM with details sent.
    Please feel free to contact me on WhatsApp at 5735871234 I am currently in the bush at one of our camps, but your hunt is important to us and I am available.
    Sincerely,
    Nathan Askew

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2018

3. Bruce

Bruce AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAGA/ Cape Hunters/ SA Hunters Association
    Hunted:
    Namibia/Zimbabwe/Zambia/ South Africa/ Botswana/ Tanzania
    I have hunted all three countries.. Tanzania is very wild and has no settlements/ villages living in the Selous.
    BUT over the years has become VERY expensive.
    Zambia would be my best choice today, followed by Zimbabwe.
    I am available for further communication should you wish.

spike.t likes this.

4. NWT

NWT AH Senior Member

Hunted:
    MT,CO,NM,WY,UT,SD,ND,MO,AR,TX,AZ,WI,KS,IL,IA,BC,Yukon,NWT
    Hey Bruce ,
    Thank you for your email.
    I have a young man with me on his first big hunt . Showing him a hassle free hunt is a big priority along with a very high quality PH.
    Zambia is intriguing but I have been out of the loop and uninformed .
    Did you hunt those awesome buffalos in your avitar photo? Lol who , where and when?
    Do you have a recommendation or two in Zambia? We would both like to hunt 40+” buffalo and quality sable along with some common plains game and zebra. Also if I may ask who would be your #1 PH in Zimbabwe ?
    Feel free to PM me.
    Best,
    Paul

5. NWT

NWT AH Senior Member

Hunted:
    Thank you. That is good insight about some of the animals like the lesser Kudu .

6. C Condon

C Condon New Member

Video/Photo:
    New hunter here, just returned from a fantastic safari in the Zimbabwe Save Valley Conservancy. Shot excellent plains game bag, enormous fun. PH Butch Coaton was simply amazing, received best Zim PH award last year. Loved every minute and well within your budget! Look him up on FB!

7. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
    Have not hunted either country but with that budget, Zambia and Zimbabwe would be my choice. Tanzania may offer some one off PG animals but I'd rather spend my money on animals than government fee and exorbitant daily rates. And as Columbo would proffer, "Uh, one other thing". Are we forgetting TAXIDERMY $$$$?? Is that a part of the 50k? If so, new ballgame.

8. C Condon

C Condon New Member

Video/Photo:
    Btw here’s a few photos ...

CD26CA4B-70AE-462C-AF79-9FFB8DE4810E.jpeg E9DDA91D-F813-40FF-98B5-1675D5D349B6.jpeg 8E88E862-0E58-4242-86ED-D48E8EFD2C77.jpeg 8F8C4270-6AD2-49E0-9126-CA3EBB35FC75.jpeg

9. rafaellinne

rafaellinne AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Zimbabwe
    I’ve hunted 3 times in Tanzania and 4 times in Zimbabue. With that budget and the trophies you have in mind, I would go for Zimbabwe.

IdaRam likes this.

10. VonJager

VonJager AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI Life, DSC, NRA Life, WSF Life
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa.
    I have not been to Tanzania, but whenever I seem to look into it, it adds up very quickly. $50k for 2 hunters, 2 buff, 1 sable and 1 kudu, 12 days, not sure much money left after govt fees etc.

That being said, I know their industry is hurting with the elephant and lion problems.

IMO, if you wanted Tanzania, skip sable and kudu, get the 10 day or 14 day license and it would probably work out well. If kudu or sable are non negotiable, focus on Zambia.

Have you considered Mozambique or the former Caprivi region of Namibia?

11. Foxi

Foxi AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa-,Gwayi- + Save River.Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
    I don't want to offend anyone who works in Tanzania, but it's the most unreliable country in terms of its prices. You book today and have completely different costs in half a year because the GameDepartment simply sets different prices.
    I would also like to know why buffalo hunting there is worth 10'K more than in Zimbabwe ?
    For me, the most beautiful country(beneth Botswana) is Zambia, is the Luangwa Valley !!
    But even there the lion is suddenly closed and when open 40% more !!
    Everything happens several times over the years.
    Peter Daffner,Tansania, for example, they have surprisingly so raised the prices
    that he drove with his guests to Zimbabwe in his need to hunt elephants at Gwayi River.
    Zimbabwe is the most correct (and what are we always complaining about zimb :) ) with friendly people.

These are my experiences and those of my friends .
    Foxi

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    rafaellinne likes this.

12. NWT

NWT AH Senior Member

Hunted:
    Yeah , the budget does not include travel or taxidermy, have a separate budget for that.

13. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
    Taxidermy can double your hunt cost. There can me some money saved on travel with airline and seat selection.

14. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    You're getting some great advice. I've been on 6 safaris, Botswana (2), Zambia, Mozambique, Zim and RSA. I consider that pretty limited experience as there are so many areas and PH's in these countries that I have not seen and met. I will say that the best buffalo genetics I have seen were in the Upper Luangwa Valley (Zambia) and the Greater Kruger Reserves (RSA).

Tanzania is on my bucket list and Nathan at bullet is at the top of that list.

Most importantly, ask enough questions to make sure that you will be doing a proper tracking hunt for buffalo in a remote bush environment with a true safari camp. You don't want to show up and find you are staying in a public guest house (yes this happens). Also, make sure you understand whether you will be sharing the camp with other hunters and be sure you are comfortable with the answer.

Regarding location, the two most remote areas I have hunted in Africa were the Upper Luangwa Valley (Zambia) and the Northern Kalahari concessions in Botswana. Bots is off the table until they get some sense. Zambia still seems to be sorting itself out after the closure but I do know the fellow who runs the area I hunted, a true remote wilderness area if you are interested. Bullet in Tazania sounds like a proper bush hunt done right and their pricing seems fair.

Zim likely has the most well developed safari industry of the countries I have listed. Zim is truly impressive in its support infrastructure for the safari industry. I am not including the RSA ranch hunts in this statement as I don't think that is what you are looking for. Obviously they are extremely well developed.

Be sure to understand transit costs to and from camp on each option. These can greatly swing total costs from one option to another. This is typically an issue in Tanzania and certainly is in the remote areas of Zambia. Many operators offer a drive in option if you are ok with a day on the road. I personally prefer this as I like to see the country.

NWT and Kakulitz like this.

15. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    Regarding taxidermy costs, if you like european mounts and flat skins you will save yourself a bundle. My only shoulder mounts from Africa are two very special buffalo and a brute of a kudu. Everything else is skull mount and flat skin. I've probably saved myself the cost of a safari doing this.

16. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    C Condon likes this.

17. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:

18. C Condon

C Condon New Member

Video/Photo:
    I hunted Humani ... so much game! Butch is Roger Whittall’s son-in-law and knows Humani really well. Very much open range but also a nice camp on the bluffs of the Turgwe River. Going to Sango next year for my first Cape buffalo; again with Butch!

WAB likes this.

19. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Sango looks amazing, one of the most outstanding camp locations I have seen. It is one of the options we are considering for next year.

C Condon likes this.

20. NWT

NWT AH Senior Member

Hunted:
    Thank you for your solid reply and great insight! You have experienced some wonderful adventures hunting in those remote areas.