Tanzania, Zimbabwe or Zambia?

Thank you for your email.
Yes. Our main focus will be a trophy Cape Buffalo. Second mature Sable/Kudu . Then just some fun animals primarily spiral horn antelope and Zebra. We want to have 12 actual hunting days . Once in Africa we have a budget for hunting of $50K. I like pristine wilderness with some comfort and nice food.
Thanks for sharing your Africa experiences . My goal is to have this part wrapped up in about 2-3 weeks.
Best,
Paul
Hi Paul,
We can do the hunt you want on that budget.
PM with details sent.
Please feel free to contact me on WhatsApp at 5735871234 I am currently in the bush at one of our camps, but your hunt is important to us and I am available.
Sincerely,
Nathan Askew

Last edited by a moderator:
Zambia, very underrated yet one of the top destinations for a true safari or Zimbabwe(John Sharp).
I have hunted all three countries.. Tanzania is very wild and has no settlements/ villages living in the Selous.
BUT over the years has become VERY expensive.
Zambia would be my best choice today, followed by Zimbabwe.
I am available for further communication should you wish.

I have hunted all three countries.. Tanzania is very wild and has no settlements/ villages living in the Selous.
BUT over the years has become VERY expensive.
Zambia would be my best choice today, followed by Zimbabwe.
I am available for further communication should you wish.

Hey Bruce ,
Thank you for your email.
I have a young man with me on his first big hunt . Showing him a hassle free hunt is a big priority along with a very high quality PH.
Zambia is intriguing but I have been out of the loop and uninformed .
Did you hunt those awesome buffalos in your avitar photo? Lol who , where and when?
Do you have a recommendation or two in Zambia? We would both like to hunt 40+” buffalo and quality sable along with some common plains game and zebra. Also if I may ask who would be your #1 PH in Zimbabwe ?
Feel free to PM me.
Best,
Paul

If the final decision will be Tanzania, I would suggest to consider following PG species to hunt. Gerenuk, Grants gazzele, Thomson gazzele, lesser kudu.
Of course, under condition they are present in your hunting area with your main goal (buff).
Those species - generally you cannot hunt anywhere else, and are real PG trophies!

At this moment Tanzannia is a bit too much expensive for me, but those few animals remain on my wish list!
Tanzania would be a fabulous destination. However, In all likelihood a kudu would be quite challenging (read Green Hills of Africa or Ruark). Several operators in Mozambique could easily fill your list, and of course, any number of South African operations, though the RSA obviously would not be a wilderness experience.

Thank you. That is good insight about some of the animals like the lesser Kudu .

New hunter here, just returned from a fantastic safari in the Zimbabwe Save Valley Conservancy. Shot excellent plains game bag, enormous fun. PH Butch Coaton was simply amazing, received best Zim PH award last year. Loved every minute and well within your budget! Look him up on FB!

I had a safari planned 10 years ago, lost my hunting partner at to young of an age. Never made the trip.
Fast forward. I will be taking my step son on safari for his college graduation in 2019.
I have not kept up in my hunting circle. Been primarily a sheep , elk and moose hunter.
I have read about the Selous since a child , very intriguing. I believe there are other great areas and options.
I want him to experience one dangerous game (Cape Buffalo) animal on this hunt. Other animals of main interest would be Sable and Kudu. From there a Zebra and some common spiral horn antelope should round out the trip.
We are looking for a non fenced concession , that is safe from political unrest.
If any of you seasoned hunters have recommendations I would be grateful to hear from you with your ideas, suggestions and confidential recommendations . Please feel free to email me and I will send you my private email.
I have set aside funds for this hunt so we are wanting a special experience with one of the best PH’s in the industry.
Thanks in advance!
Paul

Have not hunted either country but with that budget, Zambia and Zimbabwe would be my choice. Tanzania may offer some one off PG animals but I'd rather spend my money on animals than government fee and exorbitant daily rates. And as Columbo would proffer, "Uh, one other thing". Are we forgetting TAXIDERMY $$$$?? Is that a part of the 50k? If so, new ballgame.

Btw here’s a few photos ...

CD26CA4B-70AE-462C-AF79-9FFB8DE4810E.jpeg
E9DDA91D-F813-40FF-98B5-1675D5D349B6.jpeg
8E88E862-0E58-4242-86ED-D48E8EFD2C77.jpeg
8F8C4270-6AD2-49E0-9126-CA3EBB35FC75.jpeg

I’ve hunted 3 times in Tanzania and 4 times in Zimbabue. With that budget and the trophies you have in mind, I would go for Zimbabwe.

I have not been to Tanzania, but whenever I seem to look into it, it adds up very quickly. $50k for 2 hunters, 2 buff, 1 sable and 1 kudu, 12 days, not sure much money left after govt fees etc.

That being said, I know their industry is hurting with the elephant and lion problems.

IMO, if you wanted Tanzania, skip sable and kudu, get the 10 day or 14 day license and it would probably work out well. If kudu or sable are non negotiable, focus on Zambia.

Have you considered Mozambique or the former Caprivi region of Namibia?

I don't want to offend anyone who works in Tanzania, but it's the most unreliable country in terms of its prices. You book today and have completely different costs in half a year because the GameDepartment simply sets different prices.
I would also like to know why buffalo hunting there is worth 10'K more than in Zimbabwe ?
For me, the most beautiful country(beneth Botswana) is Zambia, is the Luangwa Valley !!
But even there the lion is suddenly closed and when open 40% more !!
Everything happens several times over the years.
Peter Daffner,Tansania, for example, they have surprisingly so raised the prices
that he drove with his guests to Zimbabwe in his need to hunt elephants at Gwayi River.
Zimbabwe is the most correct (and what are we always complaining about zimb :) ) with friendly people.

These are my experiences and those of my friends .
Foxi

Last edited:
Have not hunted either country but with that budget, Zambia and Zimbabwe would be my choice. Tanzania may offer some one off PG animals but I'd rather spend my money on animals than government fee and exorbitant daily rates. And as Columbo would proffer, "Uh, one other thing". Are we forgetting TAXIDERMY $$$$?? Is that a part of the 50k? If so, new ballgame.

Yeah , the budget does not include travel or taxidermy, have a separate budget for that.

Yeah , the budget does not include travel or taxidermy, have a separate budget for that.

Taxidermy can double your hunt cost. There can me some money saved on travel with airline and seat selection.

You're getting some great advice. I've been on 6 safaris, Botswana (2), Zambia, Mozambique, Zim and RSA. I consider that pretty limited experience as there are so many areas and PH's in these countries that I have not seen and met. I will say that the best buffalo genetics I have seen were in the Upper Luangwa Valley (Zambia) and the Greater Kruger Reserves (RSA).

Tanzania is on my bucket list and Nathan at bullet is at the top of that list.

Most importantly, ask enough questions to make sure that you will be doing a proper tracking hunt for buffalo in a remote bush environment with a true safari camp. You don't want to show up and find you are staying in a public guest house (yes this happens). Also, make sure you understand whether you will be sharing the camp with other hunters and be sure you are comfortable with the answer.

Regarding location, the two most remote areas I have hunted in Africa were the Upper Luangwa Valley (Zambia) and the Northern Kalahari concessions in Botswana. Bots is off the table until they get some sense. Zambia still seems to be sorting itself out after the closure but I do know the fellow who runs the area I hunted, a true remote wilderness area if you are interested. Bullet in Tazania sounds like a proper bush hunt done right and their pricing seems fair.

Zim likely has the most well developed safari industry of the countries I have listed. Zim is truly impressive in its support infrastructure for the safari industry. I am not including the RSA ranch hunts in this statement as I don't think that is what you are looking for. Obviously they are extremely well developed.

Be sure to understand transit costs to and from camp on each option. These can greatly swing total costs from one option to another. This is typically an issue in Tanzania and certainly is in the remote areas of Zambia. Many operators offer a drive in option if you are ok with a day on the road. I personally prefer this as I like to see the country.

Regarding taxidermy costs, if you like european mounts and flat skins you will save yourself a bundle. My only shoulder mounts from Africa are two very special buffalo and a brute of a kudu. Everything else is skull mount and flat skin. I've probably saved myself the cost of a safari doing this.

By the way, which ranch did you hunt on the Save? We hunted Savuli and Mesopas in 2017.
I hunted Humani ... so much game! Butch is Roger Whittall’s son-in-law and knows Humani really well. Very much open range but also a nice camp on the bluffs of the Turgwe River. Going to Sango next year for my first Cape buffalo; again with Butch!

Reactions: WAB
I hunted Humani ... so much game! Butch is Roger Whittall’s son-in-law and knows Humani really well. Very much open range but also a nice camp on the bluffs of the Turgwe River. Going to Sango next year for my first Cape buffalo; again with Butch!
Sango looks amazing, one of the most outstanding camp locations I have seen. It is one of the options we are considering for next year.

You're getting some great advice. I've been on 6 safaris, Botswana (2), Zambia, Mozambique, Zim and RSA. I consider that pretty limited experience as there are so many areas and PH's in these countries that I have not seen and met. I will say that the best buffalo genetics I have seen were in the Upper Luangwa Valley (Zambia) and the Greater Kruger Reserves (RSA).

Tanzania is on my bucket list and Nathan at bullet is at the top of that list.

Most importantly, ask enough questions to make sure that you will be doing a proper tracking hunt for buffalo in a remote bush environment with a true safari camp. You don't want to show up and find you are staying in a public guest house (yes this happens). Also, make sure you understand whether you will be sharing the camp with other hunters and be sure you are comfortable with the answer.

Regarding location, the two most remote areas I have hunted in Africa were the Upper Luangwa Valley (Zambia) and the Northern Kalahari concessions in Botswana. Bots is off the table until they get some sense. Zambia still seems to be sorting itself out after the closure but I do know the fellow who runs the area I hunted, a true remote wilderness area if you are interested. Bullet in Tazania sounds like a proper bush hunt done right and their pricing seems fair.

Zim likely has the most well developed safari industry of the countries I have listed. Zim is truly impressive in its support infrastructure for the safari industry. I am not including the RSA ranch hunts in this statement as I don't think that is what you are looking for. Obviously they are extremely well developed.

Be sure to understand transit costs to and from camp on each option. These can greatly swing total costs from one option to another. This is typically an issue in Tanzania and certainly is in the remote areas of Zambia. Many operators offer a drive in option if you are ok with a day on the road. I personally prefer this as I like to see the country.

Thank you for your solid reply and great insight! You have experienced some wonderful adventures hunting in those remote areas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg