Talk me into or out of a Blaser r8

@BenKK if you wanted a .22-250 with a lighter trigger are you thinking of a purpose? Eg i have a couple of heavy barrel rifles and they have lighter triggers for spotlighting and varmint use. Not sure i would use a a Blaser that way so it would be maybe a medium hunting calibre if i went with switch barrels etc.

@Red Leg . I take it the No was you didnt consider Strasser. I thought what i read was the biggest chambering they make in Strasser is .375Ruger so they couldnt take longer shells.
I gather its the Blaser you mean being all one action length?
I read up on the Strasser a bit being slightly cheaper than Blaser but Tikka are all one action length and i can swap stocks and configurations if the barrel channel allows so i have swapped stuff at times and if i wear out a barrel i can make something else within reason still with options on reconfiguring using aftermarket stocks etc.
I cant afford much more at present bit o thought the Strasser looks nice.
So does the Blaser

I myself tried my best to stay away from Blaser as long as I could just because I know that once I buy one I will have to buy more.... I have my first Blaser coming into South Africa next month! :ROFLMAO:

I have had a lot of clients use them on plains game and dangerous game the last couple of years and they are great and accurate rifles. I yet have to see one fail while on safari....

Another thing I like about it is that I have a left handed bolt for mine so no more worries if a client would like to rent a rifle and he is left handed! In South Africa / Africa it is really hard to find a wide selection of left handed rifles so this makes life much easier for me!

Buy it sir, you will no be dissapointed! (y)

All my best,

Jacques
This is a very good point. It’s is nothing to take a Blaser from right handed to left handed. Maybe 20 seconds?
There are so many aspects of the R8 that most people do not understand. This is just one more. I believe this is why those of us who have them are such huge fans of them!
Philip

Not trying to make an argument, but I shall respond.

(1) I am a dinosaur. I carry a Stainless Steel handgun, with a hammer. While on the days that I am working, my personal protection officer(s) do carry one those dishwasher safe handguns. I suspect, because because their departments have to purchase a lot of guns and they are cheaper. I will never carry any pistol that does have have a visible hammer. I am too old to see some tiny red dot to know if hot or not. Hammer back - hot, hammer down - not. A few year ago, at the range, while practicing the fast draw and fire, an officer shot himself in the leg with one of those dishwasher safe Glocks hitting the femoral artery. I attended the funeral, not pleasant.

(2) The Blaser R93 has been discontinued for the R8, how many more years before the R8 is replaced with the Rx? Easy enough to make metal parts, plastic not so much unless you happen to have the molds, or a #D printerbut can be done.

(3) I can hide the expense, however my wife can count and does count the number of guns in my closet. In fact, she is wanting me to sell her fathers firearms, I believe two Model 12's in 12 and 20 and a pre-64 Model 70 in 30.06 that was fired about 5 times (still have the first and only box of ammo). I am adverse to selling guns, but I did sell a Glock that I owned for 3 days.
Weird discussion. I’ve never heard of people worrying about needing parts for their gun like it’s a classic car.
I also must say this discussion has become a bit ignorant with the use of the term “plastic” when nowadays it is actually an engineered polymer that is far beyond what we knew as “plastic” many decades ago.
I do agree with you as I don’t care for the “dishwasher safe” handguns! I prefer my 1911
Philip

Maybe I could have worded it better, it is a risk involved with any special design, maybe not terribly prominent one nor something that would outweigh the advantages of R8. Any competent gunsmith can repair a Remington 700, Tikka T3 or any Mauser action, rebarrel one or manufacturer spares. With R8 I wouldn't count on finding a gunsmith to reconstruct the insides of the bolt carrier if they wear out some day and Blaser either doesn't exist or tries to sell me RXX instead.
I believe this is very off base. If a person is this worried then how could they ever buy anything new and different?

@BenKK if you wanted a .22-250 with a lighter trigger are you thinking of a purpose? Eg i have a couple of heavy barrel rifles and they have lighter triggers for spotlighting and varmint use. Not sure i would use a a Blaser that way so it would be maybe a medium hunting calibre if i went with switch barrels etc.

@Red Leg . I take it the No was you didnt consider Strasser. I thought what i read was the biggest chambering they make in Strasser is .375Ruger so they couldnt take longer shells.
I read up on the Strasser a bit being slightly cheaper than Blaser but Tikka are all one action length and i can swap stocks and configurations if the barrel channel allows so i have swapped stuff at times and if i wear out a barrel i can make something else within reason still with options on reconfiguring using aftermarket stocks etc.
So does the Blaser
I looked at Strasser and they are very good and have different calibers (.375 Ruger) than Blaser. There is just not that many of them around so I went with the more popular R8.

So does the Blaser
Sorry I wasn’t’ clear. There is “no” difference in magazine capacity. I don’t know anything about the Strasser.

A few things I really like about the Blaser R8 over the Strasser...

Scope mount location is on the barrel, not the receiver.
One scope per barrel and no adjustments are needed when switching.

The magazine sits directly over the trigger.
This makes the overall rifle about 4" shorter.

Being available in magnum length cartridges.

Availability and support in the US is very good.

Just the number of different options available on the Blaser R8 platform.
Aluminum or steel receiver.
Barrel weights, shapes and calibers.
Wood or composite stock in any manner of configurations.
Left or right handed.
And about a thousand other things...

I believe this is very off base. If a person is this worried then how could they ever buy anything new and different?
This is starting to get pretty far out of context. I bought R8, I'm not that worried about it. The whole original comment was me trying to be clever about saying you really need to dig deep to find anything wrong with Blaser.

Then again, amount of classic Mauser action rifles owned by members of this forum kind of answers your question.

Bee Maa a like from Redleg straight up on your post.
Actually there are many good points in there. I do like the Tulip forend on the Strasser something about the overall look but I won’t buy one because when it becomes difficult to buy replacement parts for those Blaser R8 it will probably be whole lot harder to find the most for Strasser!
I don’t do the travel you blokes do and that’s why it suits me to have each rifle set up for purpose stated earlier. If I take a hunting rifle and a bigger hunting rifle on a road trip no problem.
If I sold off my bolt actions I could buy one Blaser and a spare barrel.
If I bought a Blaser it will have to have pretty timber and a decent standard calibre for Australia. Then maybe I get the bug.

Actually there are many good points in there. I do like the Tulip forend on the Strasser something about the overall look but I won’t buy one because when it becomes difficult to buy replacement parts for those Blaser R8 it will probably be whole lot harder to find the most for Strasser!
I don’t do the travel you blokes do and that’s why it suits me to have each rifle set up for purpose stated earlier. If I take a hunting rifle and a bigger hunting rifle on a road trip no problem.
If I bought a Blaser it will have to have pretty timber and a decent standard calibre for Australia. Then maybe I get the bug.
Careful there @CBH Australia.
You are on a slippery slope when you even start considering a Blaser R8. ;)
...and in these times you will want to be careful about using the phrase "get the bug".
Still...I hope you get the (Blaser) bug.

Me thinks you should pop down to Melbourne and pay Mialls a visit:cool::D

Me thinks you should pop down to Melbourne and pay Mialls a visit:cool::D

Me thinks it might be an expensive trip. If Sydney is more convenient Horsley Park gun shop usually has a couple in stock.

Me thinks living out west has its advantages. Pretty sure our local wont have one.
Oh i have to wait might be better for my budget.
I know Browning Maral is not in the same class but has anyone used one? For someone just wanting a straight pull one calibre thet are considerably cheaper.

Me thinks living out west has its advantages. Pretty sure our local wont have one.
I know Browning Maral is not in the same class but has anyone used one? For someone just wanting a straight pull one calibre thet are considerably cheaper.
I've never used a Browning Maral, only seen a few videos.
Last I checked it was not available in the US.
They look wicked quick on the reload with the spring forward assist.

However it does beg the question...why pay the extra money for a straight pull?
Maybe you want it for the speed of the reload?
Because it's cool or different?
Maybe invest in another caliber down the road?

Looks like they are going for around $3695 AUS (~ $2100 USD).
IMO, you should at least be taking full advantage the ability to change calibers for that kind of money.
If not, you might as well save your money and get a regular bolt gun.

Now that Miall's has had the import and distribution rights taken off them, Blaser product is expected to become more widely available.

Now that Miall's has had the import and distribution rights taken off them, Blaser product is expected to become more widely available.

I was not aware of that, when did that happen? Do you know who will be handling the distribution now?

Thanks BeeMaa,
I reckon ive seen the Maral cheaper previously.
I think some good secondhand come up reasonably priced.
I guess its a just because thing. Im not travelling like you blokes so spare barrels is not necessity for me.
I do like nice rifles.

Thanks BeeMaa,
I reckon ive seen the Maral cheaper previously.
I think some good secondhand come up reasonably priced.
I guess its a just because thing. Im not travelling like you blokes so spare barrels is not necessity for me.
I do like nice rifles.
If you like nice rifles...you will not be disappointed in the R8.
It's just that simple.

You will like the R8 I’ve had the safari in 458lott 300win set they shot extremely good groups sold for 470NE double
Still have a R8 9.3 x 62 / 308 Win will add another bbl in ?
And R93 in 300 WSM B 375 H&H
I prefer the R8 set up with detachable mag/trigger group that said all shoot and perform in weather from -30 to +25C with nary a problem

This is starting to get pretty far out of context. I bought R8, I'm not that worried about it. The whole original comment was me trying to be clever about saying you really need to dig deep to find anything wrong with Blaser.

Then again, amount of classic Mauser action rifles owned by members of this forum kind of answers your question.
Yes those of us who love Blasers are basically fanatical. This is just the way it is. We agree with you that it is hard to find something wrong with them! I can't wait to get my new barrel (any day now) and get going with a totally new caliber for my R8!
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanonBurc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.