Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA, SCI
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
At the range yesterday, I had an interesting find. As a reloader and future DG hunter, it made me do some serious thinking. Cape buffalo, lion, elephant, grizzly. one pulls the trigger, the animal flinches but doesn't drop. It now sees the transgressor and is intent on terminating it. Your repeating rifle (no brand implied) ejected the round (or what was assumed to be the round, pics below) and you slammed the next round home but it won't go. What do you do?

IMG_20200916_153811273.jpg
IMG_20200916_153816043.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In that situation, Fix Bayonet!

Not that this would entirely prevent it...
But this is one of the reasons I don't use reloads.

May have gotten a little more than your money’s worth out of that casing! I do use reloads, but the reloads I take on DG hunts are in once fires casings, full length sized and trimmed to length. Every round is cycled through the gun prior to the hunt.

I load new brass for safari hunts or go factory. Agree that separation is almost certainly a case of over use of the brass. Probably practice rounds.

Oh, and RUN!!!!!!!!!

At least you know there is nothing wrong with your extractor!

At the range yesterday, I had an interesting find. As a reloader and future DG hunter, it made me do some serious thinking. Cape buffalo, lion, elephant, grizzly. one pulls the trigger, the animal flinches but doesn't drop. It now sees the transgressor and is intent on terminating it. Your repeating rifle (no brand implied) ejected the round (or what was assumed to be the round, pics below) and you slammed the next round home but it won't go. What do you do?

View attachment 367997View attachment 367999
Crap yourself and hope the guides rifle and ammo is in better shape.....

Last edited by a moderator:
After stuffing up their day at the range that shooter may well never end up in that position again. I’ll bet they are pissed at themselves for going home early and might even need a gunsmith to remove the case.

If that person goes on Safari they won’t make that mistake, they will remember the time when!
Mmm, it’s probably something I will remember now with my .375 H&H if I get to pursue Buffalo ,...

Hopefully practice rounds as @sestoppelman said, I hope someone with a rifle like that does know what they are doing.

View attachment 367997View attachment 367999

You curse yourself for being too cheap to use new brass thinking that hey it’s okay I have a PH to back me up.

Fire your second barrel!

Attachments

• 54679_600x400.jpg
    54679_600x400.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 194
What I'd do? Reduce loads to handle the highest temps you'll encounter in Africa (and as said above, always use new brass for a DG hunt-including PG that tend to get dangerous when wounded-Oryx, etc.) 'Have had similar occur in TX where hunting season temps might be 60F higher than up here. Corrected the situation by backing off a bit on pet loads when heading to hotter climes. Or, you can rely on your crack-shot PH for backup and tape a ramrod to that gun! Q: Was that brass full-length sized or neck-sized? The .375 case in any form is fairly particular when it comes to FL sizing (and it needs to be done, in addition to trimming, due to stretch.) I have loaded the 375 (and nearly all derived from it) extensively. If you don't mind sharing your load...but to me, looks like a brass re-working issue. Only cleaning the bore and not the chamber can do the same sometimes.

This is a mouthful, but often a reloader will get caught up in c.o.a.l., bullet seating depth, etc. (all important,) but they fail to set the FL sizing die up to Completely re-size the Entire case down to the belt-and that can result in what we see, as the case just above the rim/belt is bulged out as a result. This same phenomena can happen (in the chamber-when closing the bolt the case is compressed and bulged) when the case is not FL resized and/or not neck-trimmed to 0.010" under spec (2.840" not the factory 2.850" chamber neck or unfinished brass dimension). 'Just trying to help. Factory ammo in 375 is just fine (much to choose from and your PH will have extra if your airport comes up short. ;) Shooting over-velocity 375 handloads, at a minimum, will cost you an extra buff, but on the outside, maybe someone's life...(the bullet, which does all the work, has a relatively high SD relative to other big bore slugs, and consequently can wound a 2nd buffalo behind the target. Usually with solids, but it can happen with a premium soft doing 2,800 fps!) 350 gr bullets doing 2,300 fps is the best medicine in that caliber (about 350 fps slower than the most commonly used factory ammo, and even slower than handloads.) "It behaves like a .416." In this case, $30-$100 more per box might save a life. I handload for wildcats out of necessity but have given up wasting time reloading in favor of buying premium factory ammo for common calibers (i.e. 30-06, 300 Win, 375 HH).

Always endeavor to make that first shot count! It cures all ills.

Last edited:
'Also had a case get stuck in an Enfield magnum length on a >100F day. Luckily the Oryx went down on the 1st shot. The PH was not carrying a gun and was momentarily looking around for an adult diaper dispenser....

@C.W. Richter I did not reload that cartridge, found it on the 500 meter range at our gun club. The previous day I found a .300 RUM case with no primer and the primer laying two benches away. That piece of brass looked hard used.

Yes it did (that was the .375?)

I think the answer is say a very fast prayer!

*Also just a word of caution about Old factory ammo that's been sitting on the shelf for years. I once got a pile of old Wby ammo made by Norma for a .257-fired it off for reloading brass and I knew something was up when the case got stuck in the chamber, neck cracked, and 1-2M of flames shot out the muzzle! :p 'Was afraid i wrecked this very nice gun, later dubbed "the Cannon," but it was fine. Don't use outdated ammo. and certainly don't test it out during a heatwave. The shelf life of today's ammo. is probably a bit more extended, but there are no guarantees...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois