Swift bullets.....verboten?

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I've been working up loads for my .375 H&H.......found a good one using 3oo grain Nosler partitions, but then found out that most folks don't like using the Nosler partitions on cape buffalo......so, back to the drawing board.
After reading and rereading a thread here on AH, I decided to try the Barnes triple X and the Swift in 300 grain flavor, but when I went to order some of the Swifts to try in handloads, I got this warning:

"This item is regulated by the US STATE DEPARTMENT and may require an EXPORT LICENSE for international orders."

Does this mean that the bullets can't be loaded and taken abroad without some sort of beaurucratic nonsense? Can anyone elaborate why this bullet is regulated by the state department?
Thanks.................................

All bullets, firearms are export controlled.
If I purchase any in the US I need export docs to bring them home technically.

You taking these bullets outside the country in your own Ammo. No issues.

I guess I'm confused as to why there is only a 'warning' for this particular bullet (I didn't check to see if it's only this caliber for this manufacturer, but there are no such warnings for the Nosler, Barnes, or other bullets.)

All I can guess is someone was zealous that day and added the info to the webpage.

You are not Exporting the cartridges you are taking with you.
Temporary export possibly, but you are not exporting.

Look up Firearm and Ammo export State Department and you'll see all the relevant docs on it.

Bullet vs ammo.... You are not exporting.... You are traveling with.... All good.

Load them up and be happy. They are great bullets. I used Nosler PAR for years and still do but I used Swift on our hunt. I now use swift in many of my cartridges for lesser game here at home. Use the Swift data for their bullets and barnes for the barnes bullets. It does matter.

As for taking your bullets you are legal, as long as you aren't exporting as a sale to an out of country client or customer. As for what you have read here about your choice of bullets think of this:

Years ago I got into sailing... The first thing I heard was that EVERYONE has "their" way of doing things, and EVERYONE is an expert. That is NOT to say there is value in everything you hear or read, but rather kind of like getting advise from your dad or uncle on dating. Each has his own trick or line, etc... What has failed for one is sworn by from another. I have always been a Hornady fan, but have heard bad things about one or two of their bullets from others, then great things from others. The thing is I haven't been yet so "I" don't yet have an opinion. You are in the same boat. I recently bought another brand that came with pics, stories, and videos. I am impressed, but until the metal hits the meat so to speak, I won't know for sure. Listen to what people say, but what I'm saying is you must be cautious before getting on that carousel as each situation is different. I would stick with tried and true designs, by tried and true manufacturers and then use the one YOU and YOUR rifle shoots the best. Just my two cents from a guy in the same boat! Lol, good luck and get to Africa! Then, please let me know!

Swift A-frames are one of the best soft points for DG. Woodleighs as well. There was a period when solids were overregulated as in the wrong hands they can be armor piercing to a degree... I recall not being able to order 416 solids Once upon a Time. I have found the Barnes solids to fly very similarly to the Swifts...

Miss my old 16 gauges the first shotguns I owned... An h&r single and an Ithaca pump.

My first shotgun was a single shot 20 gauge H&R. Took lots of “firsts” With that long barreled tool. I still use a Winchester model 97 “pump and hammer” in 16 gauge-I have others but those are mom and dads old guns so they hold a special place for me.
Did you ever take those big rifle bullets somewhere and do stuff with them? Also I can’t read so pictures would be preferable

A little while ago I asked Swift about this issue. Their reply was "Unfortunately, it can’t be done. We are required to pull an import/export license at a significant expense and they won’t issue to anyone other than a distributor. It is against the law for us to export ship without it."
They clearly are that wedded to their old networks that they haven't realised that Trump moved these items from ITAR control to Commerce. Much simpler less costly process.

An all too comon problem. Try getting on the net from any other country (or even out side the 48) and see how many companies won't sell or even reply. Large percentage of US companies even geo block their website. America was once great because your grandfather's generations knew about hard work and getting out there and selling products to the world. The current crop of Americans are too lazy be bothered, and then they sit around and bitch about the economy etc.

Considering the US is the second largest exporter of good in the world (second only to China, who everyone loves to buy from due to low cost), and the largest consumer and importer of goods in the world...

And that the economy Americans bitch about is the largest in the world (NASDAQ is positioning to cross 12,000 any day.. which will be a record high... even with the insanity of the last 6 months and COVID, the US markets are booming and recovered better than all other markets in the world)...

I’d say your assessment is not only a stretch.. but also completely unsupported and unsubstantiated

American millennials are notoriously not as motivated about work as Gen X or the Baby Boomers were...

But do you really expect me to believe they are any more “lazy” than the average Australian, French, British, or Canadian millennials?

My first shotgun was a single shot 20 gauge H&R. Took lots of “firsts” With that long barreled tool. I still use a Winchester model 97 “pump and hammer” in 16 gauge-I have others but those are mom and dads old guns so they hold a special place for me.
Did you ever take those big rifle bullets somewhere and do stuff with them? Also I can’t read so pictures would be preferable
Yes-C. Buffalo (followed up w/ a barnes banded solid but even the PH agreed the swift did its job; 4-legs up but still kicking,) Hippo, and Elephant (using the Barnes solid.) IF you do a search on here, I wrote a report about the "double buffalo at shangani safaris" featuring a number of pics. The swift was collected, fully mushroomed 0.8", in the far leg after passing through the heart and lungs. They are extremely tough I'd also use it on Big eland, giraffe or even a huge kudu you stumble upon, but I'd use something more explosive on a croc or big cats like the nosler partition or something even thinner jacketed. I'll post a pic of it momentarily...'dropped so much small game/waterfowl w/ that long-bbl 16-the avg shot must've been 40 yds! IMG_20201013_195504584~2.jpgIMG_20201013_195443464~2.jpg

Last edited:
'no longer have the 16s but i think i still have ammo somewhere....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.